I’ve been hearing about this new TV series for a while, but it’s now breaking through. Misfits is a new superhero comedy drama by Howard Overman, made by Clerkenwell Films and will be broadcast on E4 in the UK, with BBC Worldwide getting its mitts on it for overseas sales by the end of the year.
Although I have to say it feels like one of those many shows that was pitched as “It’s X meets Skins” – Skins being the terribly successful British teenage comedy drama sex/drugs/trance and dance series that has seemed to infected so much. So is this “superheroes Meets Skins?” You tell me…
They were five unruly teenagers forced to do community service as payback for their crimes.
But when a freak electrical storm hits their town, strange things begin to happen to them that are beyond their control.
In fact they have no idea that they’ve actually turned into superheroes, each with a power which reflects their deepest, darkest insecurities…
But if you think life’s tough for your average superhero, it’s even tougher when you’ve got a curfew…
Subverting the superhero genre, Misfits is a bold, knowing take on how hard it is to be a hero in the modern, cynical world, with a cast of fresh and upcoming acting talent that will appeal to the Facebook generation.
The cast haven’t exactly bothered IMDB much with a Casualty appearance and a couple of tiny roles in dramas, apart from Robert Sheehan who had a decent role in Rock Rivals (it’s talent shows meets Skins!), the recent Red Riding series and ongoing roles in Young Blades (it’s the Musketeers meets Skins!) and Foreign Exchange.
What has Howard Overman written for previously? Erm, well, Merlin and Demons. But that doesn’t mean it will necessarily be awful… come on, we’re an optimistic lot!
- What Will Fox/Disney Deal Mean for Firefly, Angel, Buffy, Aliens and Predator? - December 15, 2017
- Marvel Challenges Their Readers To Find Wolverine In The Backs Of Certain Comics - December 14, 2017
- Dark Horse Comics Solicits for March 2018 – New Arc for American Gods, New Black Hammer, and Hellboy Omnibuses Begin - December 14, 2017
- Kersplatt Comics of Cairns City to Close at the End of the Year - December 14, 2017
- Maestros #3 and Amazing Spider-Man #792 Go to Second Print; Batman #38 Sells out in Advance - December 14, 2017