Happy Rebellious Stepchild Nation Day to you all…
So what’s happening in and around comics then?
Well, some celebrate Independence Day with fireworks, some with all-night parties, some with illegally downloading Watchmen: The Director’s Cut which has, Wolverine style, just been leaked onto the internet as a torrent file, three weeks ahead of San Diego Comic Con screening and DVD/Blu Ray/Nite Owl Ship release. Hurm.
Talking to The Scotsman, Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies sees the rise of the graphic novel as demonstrating that as audiences, we’re more open to new and fantastical experiences. “There is such an appetite for fantasy. Look at the recent rise of the graphic novel. In good science fiction, it’s impossible not to say something about the world we live in. Viewers inevitably see something about their own world, but in a heightened way.”
Rick Veitch continues to update with the true origin of The Sentry.
“I’m quite sure it was my suggestion that something so horrible happened to THE SENTRY that all memory of the event, and SENTRY himself, had to be wiped out, probably by some Marvel character on the scale of THE WATCHER. Right there Paul and I knew we had it; SENTRY’s quest for a return of his memories and powers, a solution for his absence in”
While Rick’s erstwhile creative partner Steve Bissette talks about his Godzilla work for Dark Horse here and here and his relationship with the company – including lack of payment for UK reprints of his Aliens work. “So much for Mike [Richardson] teaching me about the wonderful world of work-for-hire.”
Kevin O’Neill, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen co-creator talks about his tidy home to The Times…
And Tyrese Gibson knows a good twitterfeed to follow…
- The Eisner Awards 2017 – Live, As They Come In - July 21, 2017
- IDW Cut Comics By 25% – And More First Strike, Star Trek, And Black Crown From The Diamond Retailer Presentation - July 21, 2017
- What It Looks Like When Retailers Race To Get Exclusive San Diego Comic-Con Swag - July 21, 2017
- Boom! Studios’ 5 Biggest Problems In Comics, And A ‘Clueless’ Graphic Novel - July 21, 2017
- Comic Book Legal Defense Fund To Train Comic Book Retailers In Their Legal Rights - July 21, 2017