Earlier today, Bleeding Cool was the first to point the finger at the unprecedended success enjoyed by the first issue John Layman and Rob Guillory’s Chew from Image Comics. When was the last time the first issue of a new series was hitting $50 on eBay two weeks later? Not with Bone, not with Ultimate Spider-Man, not with the Obama/McCain books from IDW. This has never happened before.
And as retailers rush to up their orders on the second print and the second issue, there are all sorts of knock on effects. Walking Dead #61 featured a preview of the series, and is itself now selling out and rising up the eBay charts.
Could other series by John Layman, languishing in 50c bins up and down the country, received similar favour? Bay City Jive perhaps? Xena Warrior Princess? Marvel Zombies Vs Army Of Darkness? Gambit? Puffed?
Come on, admit it, who actually saw this coming? Hmm?
- Avatar Press Has 753 Comics On Sale On Comixology Right Now - July 20, 2018
- Dale Eaglesham’s Shazam With Geoff Johns in November – and a Killing Zone That Will Span a Political Century - July 20, 2018
- The Men (and It Is The Men) Who Design the Marvel Costumes That Everyone Cosplays From – Marvel Studios 10 Years Panel at SDCC - July 20, 2018
- Everything You Knew About Marvel Comics Was Wrong – #MarvelDeclassified On Monday - July 20, 2018
- San Diego Zoo Joins In the Comics Exclusives With Vixen And The Justice League: Wildlife Heroes - July 20, 2018