Earlier today, comics writer Dwight MacPherson received a letter from Jim Valentino, email@example.com:
It’s been a long time and I hope all is well with you and your boys.
Kris Simon has resigned from her editorial position and will leave after the 29th of this month. I couldn’t think of anyone better than you to take over. If you’re interested please email me back as soon as possible. I will give you till this Friday to decide.
Dwight was happy to reply, wanting to clarify job details. But the address Dwight had received the email from was not Jim’s. And when Dwight replied, the email account’s preferences forwarded the message it to Jim Valentino, possibly with the attempt to embarass Dwight. Jim, who quickly realised what was going on, fired back. And was gracious enough to cc me in.
I have no clue who you are or why you would pose as me of all people or write a letter like the one below in my name.
I’m alerting Rich Johnston to this because he’s diligent about exposing creeps like you.
Really, this is NOT funny and I don’t appreciate it.
Fucking with peoples’ heads is not okay on any level.
The REAL Jim Valentino
Seems pretty real to me. Jim then went to contact the right authorities. The issue here isn’t just the cruelty of offering a fake job in strained economic times, but exactly what the faker might have got out of it. Bank account details? Social security numbers? A photocopied passport? Or just a sick laugh at the expense of two comic creators?
And that’s the other thing – who else has suddenly received such an offer?
- Hindus Call For Apology From Marvel Over Uncanny X-Men #5 - December 16, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List 16th December 2018 – Batman Damned Beats The One Who Laughs - December 16, 2018
- Monica’s Gang/DC Comics Crossover Published in Brazil - December 16, 2018
- Free Nancy Drew #1 and Project Superpowers #1 To Launch Dynamite Groupees Bundles - December 16, 2018
- Frank Cho is Starting a Brand New Creator-Owned Comic - December 16, 2018