Earlier today, comics writer Dwight MacPherson received a letter from Jim Valentino, firstname.lastname@example.org:
It’s been a long time and I hope all is well with you and your boys.
Kris Simon has resigned from her editorial position and will leave after the 29th of this month. I couldn’t think of anyone better than you to take over. If you’re interested please email me back as soon as possible. I will give you till this Friday to decide.
Dwight was happy to reply, wanting to clarify job details. But the address Dwight had received the email from was not Jim’s. And when Dwight replied, the email account’s preferences forwarded the message it to Jim Valentino, possibly with the attempt to embarass Dwight. Jim, who quickly realised what was going on, fired back. And was gracious enough to cc me in.
I have no clue who you are or why you would pose as me of all people or write a letter like the one below in my name.
I’m alerting Rich Johnston to this because he’s diligent about exposing creeps like you.
Really, this is NOT funny and I don’t appreciate it.
Fucking with peoples’ heads is not okay on any level.
The REAL Jim Valentino
Seems pretty real to me. Jim then went to contact the right authorities. The issue here isn’t just the cruelty of offering a fake job in strained economic times, but exactly what the faker might have got out of it. Bank account details? Social security numbers? A photocopied passport? Or just a sick laugh at the expense of two comic creators?
And that’s the other thing – who else has suddenly received such an offer?
- In Memory of Harlan Ellison: Michael Davis’s ‘The City on the Edge of Forever, Whitney, Martha & Apple Sauce – Straight No Chaser #339’ - July 17, 2018
- Dean Haspiel’s Red Hook Continues Free at LINE Webtoons with Starcross – Previewed Here - July 17, 2018
- Rock Candy Mountain’s Kyle Starks and Chris Schweizer Create Mars Attacks Comic for Dynamite - July 17, 2018
- John Jackson Miller and Daniel HDR Launch 35-Cent Battlestar Galactica #0 in October from Dynamite - July 17, 2018
- It’s a Two-Shirt Ant-Man and The Wasp Loot Crate for July 2018 - July 17, 2018