Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Co-Writer Is New Walking Dead Showrunner

Administrator

Default Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Co-Writer Is New Walking Dead Showrunner

More news on the walking dead. By which I mean the writers of The Walking Dead.

The third show runner in the short life of AMC's smash-hit zombie showhas been named, and it's to be Scott M. Gimple. All sorts of stories have been bounced around about the departure of Glen Mazarra from the Walking Dead writers' room throne, ranging all the way from "he ran screaming and jumped" to "he was thrown out the window... and spat on as he was falling." I won't pretend to know what the truth is.

The Hollywood Reporter seemed to be the first to know of Gimple's appointment. He's been writing on the show since the second season and will take charge for the fourth. In theory, he may even remain for the fifth, but, eh, it's hard to predict what will happen on a merry-go-round when it's spinning this fast.

Gimple's one feature film credit is Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, where he shares credit - if that's the word - with Seth Hoffman and David Goyer. Who knows what each of them contributed to the screenplay, or how it was effected by the kinetic, skate-wearing, go-juice fuelled process of Neveldineandtayloring that brought it to the screen?

Amongst Gimple's TV work are episodes of Flash Forward, Life, the cruelly aborted Drive and a few saturday morning-style toons. He's written episode 15 of this series, titled This Sorrowful Life and directed by Greg Nicotero.

Here's a trailer for the upcoming second half of Walking Dead series 3.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7inB0GG8nrM[/youtube]

The episodes he's written are pretty good, so I'll give this a wait and see.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Banned

Hurm. Oh, dear

Wrote the Book on Cool DarkKnightJared's Avatar

Oh mean! I thought I had hallucinated Drive for a moment there. Cruelly cancelled indeed. Life was really good too. Those two credits give me some hope.

Account Closed

You think that maybe pointing out the Ghost Rider: SOV link is an unfair way to clip this man at the knees on his way in?

A more judicious headline would have been "Walking Dead Writer Promoted to Showrunner."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalClavicles View Post
    You think that maybe pointing out the Ghost Rider: SOV link is an unfair way to clip this man at the knees on his way in?

A more judicious headline would have been "Walking Dead Writer Promoted to Showrunner."
    My objective was to try and take that and then flip it onto its head.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    I don't see that attempt anywhere in the piece. It's mostly snark about the show's showrunner problems and the quality of the Ghost Rider script. His work on the show only got a couple of off-handed mentions.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Gimple's one feature film credit is Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, where he shares credit - if that's the word - with Seth Hoffman and David Goyer.
    I actually liked GR: SOV. I wish the first GR was that entertaining. Not sure what i liked most about it. A combination of Cage's weird performance and the director I think.

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Account Closed

You admitted in the story that his contributions to Ghost Rider SOV were dubious ["Gimple's one feature film credit is Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, where he shares credit - if that's the word - with Seth Hoffman and David Goyer. Who knows what each of them contributed to the screenplay"] before finally getting to the point that he'd also worked on Flash Forward, Life, Drive, and oh by the way he's already got Walking Dead credit in the can.

It sounds like your objectives are:

A.) to fault a working screenwriter for taking the opportunity to work with David S. Goyer on a Marvel property, and

B.) muck-raking.

This is Bleeding Cool, so I'm not really expecting much in the way of "objective journalism." The overall tone of the headline and your reporting seem to focus unfairly on the fact that Gimple's single film credit is Ghost Rider, while eschewing his broader TV experience and involvement with the Walking Dead.
    Last edited by MechanicalClavicles; 01-15-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast