Administrator

Default Video: How Jurassic Park's Life Size T-Rex Was Built By Stan Winston Studios

Steven Spielberg saw the alien queen that Stan Winston studioshad made for Aliens and thought it was a simple step from that 14-foot creation to a 20-foot T-Rex for his movie ofJurassic Park.

But as Winston told Cinefex editor Jody Duncan, however, there was quite a gulf between these two commissions:
    That was a somewhat na?ve assumption on Steven's part. There was a big difference between building that alien queen and building a full-size dinosaur.

The queen was exoskeletal, so all of its surfaces were hard. There were no muscles, no flesh, and there was no real weight to it. The alien queen also didn?t have to look like a real, organic animal because it was a fictional character ? so there was nothing in real life to compare it to.

There was just no comparison in the difficulty level of building that alien queen and building a full-size dinosaur.
    But Winston's team pulled it off and as you'll see in this new video from the Stan Winston School of Character Arts, did so with their characteristic style and ingenuity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXpKda61dg[/youtube]

Jurassic Park is nothing if not a triumph of effects technology. Having just watched this video, I feel myself being drawn to the actual movie for the first time in at least a decade...

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Wrote the Book on Cool

And in April 2013 a special 3-D IMAX version of Jurassic Park is being released to theaters for its 20th anniversary. I also recall reading that they had problems with the model because they had rainy scenes where it became waterlogged and too heavy to move and they had to dry it out to resume filming it.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jimvanhise View Post
    And in April 2013 a special 3-D IMAX version of Jurassic Park is being released to theaters for its 20th anniversary. I also recall reading that they had problems with the model because they had rainy scenes where it became waterlogged and too heavy to move and they had to dry it out to resume filming it.
    And not just IMAX. Maybe not even just 3D.