Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Post Spoils Batman Inc #8 Big Time

Bleeding Cool

I was rather pointing out that that sort of thinking would be faulty, if someone were to go around saying that a much-praised creator is completely without writing ability.

I can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing, though.

Well Morrison has this in common with his former protege, and that is he continues to be one of the most divisive writers in the industry.

Which unlike other writers who are divisive because of real or imagined isms in thier writings, I think the intense hatred for Morrison is really a backlash against the critical acclaim. I'm as tolerant as they come with one's taste in art, but even I can understand the frustration of being told something is awesome over and over again that you yourself find unpalatable.(I have the same issue with Hawkeye I just don't get it.)

Well there is after today only 4 issues left. I hope Wonder Woman Earth One is a Morrison I find more palatable to my own taste, after the disappointments of Superman and Batman Earth One.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeland View Post
    Well Morrison has this in common with his former protege, and that is he continues to be one of the most divisive writers in the industry.
    I think most of the rage against Millar is due to what's not in his work - the obnoxious way in which he hypes up his work.

I think the intense hatred for Morrison is really a backlash against the critical acclaim. I'm as tolerant as they come with one's taste in art, but even I can understand the frustration of being told something is awesome over and over again that you yourself find unpalatable.(I have the same issue with Hawkeye I just don't get it.)
    I don't think that's it exactly.

I think it's that Morrison is put front and center on mainstream DCU books, but his approach to them is somewhat in the Vertigo vein (what better example that Batman hallucinating Bat-mite?). His work is intentionally trying to break conventions and make us question the nature of these characters (for example, his intentionally brash and unceremonious death he gave Martian Manhunter and how they wished for a resurrection at his funeral). He writes with, let's face it, a greater sophistication of plotting and character exploration.

That doesn't mean he always succeeds, but the intent is undeniable (just look at everything about Seven Soldiers).

I believe readers hate his stuff because they want straightforward, Geoff Johnsian work and the type of literalism Johns brings to his characters (hey, I enjoy Johns for the most part, but complex plotting and character exploration are not his thing), and instead they get . . . something else. Just look at Final Crisis. This was in no way the type of story that should've been a DC Mega Event. If it hadn't been hyped like that, but rather, perhaps, a sequel maxiseries to Morrison's JLA run, or an extended arc stuffed into JLA Classified, I think it would've been generally well received.

The slowest place in the world: Brunswick, Georgia. Where they drive 5 miles UNDER the speed limit.

For the record, I don't "hate" Morrison. I read his work in Justice League and lamented that it could have been (for me) more readable if it had been better edited. I read and really enjoyed All-Star Superman for its evocation of the Silver Age, when I still enjoyed the character. I've read his work on Batman, and scratched my head 'til I almost got a bald-spot trying to put things together in a way that made narrative sense. But I couldn't deny the originality and freshness of his ideas. And I really, really dug on Animal Man.

So, like David Bowie, for example, I recognize the talent. Most of the work just doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by CaptObtuse; 02-27-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Comic book fans are whiny, hyperbolic, self-important know-it-alls with delusions of moral superiority and a toweringly unearned sense of entitlement.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jmyoung View Post
    While the official line is 5 years, it clearly shows Batman had been operating for awhile in JL 1 and he was certainly going through the transitional period of Year one and all that. The official line is not that he is 23.
    Well, Clark is 18 + 4 college + 2 active until JL#1 + 5 active since JL#1 = 29. The same seems to apply for Bruce. Which wouldn't be a problem if being [s]Robin[/s*] Batman's partner hadn't been turned into a one year internship within those 5 years. Same with the revolving door Green Lanterns. Either reduce their number or grant them more time for all those developments (and the rougher, the better). 10 years instead of 5 would work, 15 would be even better, but either way their big guns respected by all would be in their 30's again – oh the horror! 'Cause we all know that the books didn't sell because of that big, fat 3. Oh the irony of those characters with much shorter legacy chains getting cut down to but one each.

*I know this to my utter annoyance doesn't work, but whatcha gonna do?

Quote Originally Posted by Hdefined View Post
    I believe January 2013 reported the highest sales of the comics industry since . . . was it 1993?

You really showed them.
    Your right, except its the highest sales by dollar amount. In 1993 comics were between $1.25 and $1.50, and now they are between $2.99 and $3.99, with a lot more of the better selling books in the $3.99 range than $2.99. Also, sales were only $330 million for individual issues, and $385 million for graphic novels, which didn't sale nearly as much back in 1993, and also cost significantly more than a $1.50 comic book. So that means the industry is selling less than half as many single issues now as it was in 1993, when the dollars spent were also around $700 million. And lets not forget inflation, so that $700 million in 1993 is worth significantly more than that now. Comics sales are back at 1994 levels. Of course, if there isn't a very successful Walking Dead tv show on the air now, than the dollar sales for last year drops significantly, and last I checked Walking Dead isn't a DC book.

But your right I really showed them, the comic book industry is doing great, especially DC. I mean why else reboot their entire history less than a year and half ago and then cancel 5-6 books every 4 months or so.
    Follow on Twitter @1NerdyOne

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog View Post
    Blasphemy!
    Somebody say Black Vulcan?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I don't know how you can say Morrison is objectively bad when so many people objectively disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hdefined View Post
    There are books that exist to pick apart and analyze Gaiman's work, for god's sake. What does Liefeld have?
    To be fair, I could write a book analyzing Liefeld's work. It'd end up in the "How not to do" section but...
    "Walking bones!"

My LCS was infested with “Death of Robin” speculators.

Ugh!

I told some of them that the Robin they think was killed is NOT the Robin who was killed.

Depending on their age, they think it’s either Dick Grayson, Tim Drake or Burt Ward. None them know who Damian Wayne is….or was.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by Pariscub View Post
    Ah well, Damian's grandfather still has his Lazarus pit doesn't he?

Or doesn't that exist in the new 52
    Jason Todd was resurrected with it, so I'm sure it's back. And in the control of Talia, so expect some conflict between her and Bruce over whether to give Damian a bath.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grimjack View Post
    But your right I really showed them, the comic book industry is doing great, especially DC. I mean why else reboot their entire history less than a year and half ago and then cancel 5-6 books every 4 months or so.
    So you're mad that they rebooted everything, but also using that reboot to demonstrate that they were in trouble before thr reboot and had to do something major? Huh.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast