Thread: New Terminator Films Teams Up Siblings To Produce Franchise

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default New Terminator Films Teams Up Siblings To Produce Franchise

Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool

It seems like every time you forget that Annapurna Pictures have the rights to Terminator and want to make more films from the franchise, just the tiniest bit of news seeps out to remind you that it is still on.

Tonight,Deadline are reporting that founder of the production company,Megan Ellison, has recruited her brother David Ellison to produce with her. They are an interesting producing pair with Megan's previous films including The Master, Lawless and Zero Dark Thirty, and David's consisting of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Star Trek Into Darkness and Jack Reacher. That certainly sounds like it could be a winning combination for the franchise.

That is, if it ever gets made. The film is still looking for a studio and no progress has been made on the script thus far. So it seems that the film is still alive, but hardly flying out the gate.

Brendon's note: David Ellison smells of Tom Cruise to me. And Cruise is certainly going very sci-fi of late... If it does happen, I for one won't be surprised.

Wrote the Book on Cool hammerstein's Avatar

Ugh can't help groaning a bit every mention of Lawless....it's not a patch on either The Proposition or The Road.

A gritty hillbilly crime drama with some good performances but an undercooked script and lashings of overcooked music.

Either way, they seem to produce fairly quality movies but they need to get imaginative with directorial choices..this is one i would definitely NOT throw Del Toro in for

I know it won't happen, but I really wish they would just let this one die already. Cameron's movies were great, but two medicore-to-bad movies and a TV show have just kept this franchise limping along. Not every cash cow lasts forever (though I imagine George Lucas might disagree).

The terimantor series needs to die. It was good and had its momments but all things must die

I disagree. If McG had some balls and put Bale (and Nolan's brother) in their place, it arguably could've been one of the best of the series. It was Worthington's movie until Bale came along and inserted all of those irrelevant scenes that had to do with Conner. Seriously. Watch it again. You'll notice that hardly anything that Connor does impacts the plot in any way shape or form.
    "Walking bones!"

Wrote the Book on Cool

Good. After that disaster of a movie terminator salvation it's good to see their going to fix what was once a great franchise

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alekesam View Post
    I disagree. If McG had some balls and put Bale (and Nolan's brother) in their place, it arguably could've been one of the best of the series. It was Worthington's movie until Bale came along and inserted all of those irrelevant scenes that had to do with Conner. Seriously. Watch it again. You'll notice that hardly anything that Connor does impacts the plot in any way shape or form.
    Yeah but to be fair, if you cast a high profile celebrity to play a part that's well established as a heroic lead you kind of have to have him be the central focus of the film. The problem with Salvation wasn't McG or Bale, it was the script.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post
    Yeah but to be fair, if you cast a high profile celebrity to play a part that's well established as a heroic lead you kind of have to have him be the central focus of the film. The problem with Salvation wasn't McG or Bale, it was the script.
    Technically, that would make Bale the problem (or rather the hiring of him) though wouldn't it? The original script called for Connor to not show up till towards the end, setting him up for the 5th movie, but since Bale was hired into a role like that, as you said, they kinda need him in the movie more than that else that's a big name being wasted, thereby changing the dynamic of the story. Jonathan Nolan went in and added a bunch of stuff to thicken up Bale's role, which made the movie unbalanced.
    "Walking bones!"