Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Presidential Election, According To The Comics Industry

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    What's the state of the Tea Party these days? As someone who likes there to be a sensible left and a sensible right to give people a decent choice, I found the Tea Party very dangerous for the GOP.
    As noted, they're out there voting in huge numbers, but they're completely off their nuts on social sensibilities. There's a non-vocal component to the party that adheres to the whole message (Small government, both in politics and in social standards, which ends up leaning more centralist on their social views), but unfortunately for them they're drowned out by the very loud Sara Palin/Donald Trump types who are just off the rails nuts who sound like they're about ten minutes away from forming a militia.

The problem here is that every election cycle seems to further galvanize that loud, insane component of the party. The Republicans can't alienate them, because they're the ones voting in record numbers and not catering to them costs them seats to independents, but that same catering costs them votes amongst the middle (Which is swiftly becoming a more obvious majority).

Essentially, the Tea Party is helping the Republican base in the reddest of red states, but on a national level it's killing their prospects.

It's seemed an odd election from over here. Most reports do say it's a good thing that you had such a distinct choice to make on different policies, where over here the parties tend to be similarly inclined on a number of issues.

That said, the viewpoints we see on TV are always the most extreme and it makes for the image of a deeply divided nation when I suspect most ordinary people just want the same things, even if not delivered by the same methods. It's time to hang together or hang individually guys...

Overall, I suspect that not changing horses in mid-stream is the smarter move. At least Obama gets 4 more years to try and make a difference without having to filter everything through a desire for another term... As John Major once said, "The medicine is not nice, but it is working".

Meanwhile:

obama.jpg

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    That said, the viewpoints we see on TV are always the most extreme and it makes for the image of a deeply divided nation when I suspect most ordinary people just want the same things, even if not delivered by the same methods.
    You overestimate the more regressive half of the American nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hdefined View Post
    Sanity seems to have won out in the end (except for in Donald Trump's case, judging by his tweets).
    I've just had a look at his tweets and there are some proper nutty ones. Wanting Romney in is fair enough, to each their own, but the stuff about not living in a democracy is crazy talk.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bleeding Cool

I've just had a look at his tweets and there are some proper nutty ones. Wanting Romney in is fair enough, to each their own, but the stuff about not living in a democracy is crazy talk.
    Democracy has failed him, therefore it's obviously not the right kind of democracy America needs.

Actually, Trump is right in this instance. He lives in an oligarchy of his own making and choosing.

Bleeding Cool

When FOX and American conservatives complain about liberals being apologists to the rest of the world, see, we can't help but feel compelled to apologize for nuts like Trump.

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Did you just peek at the stuff that's still on Twitter, or did you peruse google for the stuff he deleted? He went so far off the rails it's almost frightening. He was effectively advocating violent revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Hdefined View Post
    When FOX and American conservatives complain about liberals being apologists to the rest of the world, see, we can't help but feel compelled to apologize for nuts like Trump.
    Even Fox was trying to dial it back. Rove's appearance on Fox News last night was comedy gold. Basically five minutes of "slow your roll, bro, it's over. Math. Sorry."

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    As noted, they're out there voting in huge numbers, but they're completely off their nuts on social sensibilities. There's a non-vocal component to the party that adheres to the whole message (Small government, both in politics and in social standards, which ends up leaning more centralist on their social views), but unfortunately for them they're drowned out by the very loud Sara Palin/Donald Trump types who are just off the rails nuts who sound like they're about ten minutes away from forming a militia.

The problem here is that every election cycle seems to further galvanize that loud, insane component of the party. The Republicans can't alienate them, because they're the ones voting in record numbers and not catering to them costs them seats to independents, but that same catering costs them votes amongst the middle (Which is swiftly becoming a more obvious majority).

Essentially, the Tea Party is helping the Republican base in the reddest of red states, but on a national level it's killing their prospects.
    Ta.
    The thing that bugs me with them isn't so much their beliefs (which I largely disagree with, but to each their own) but the bullshit they tried to pull claiming to be libertarians. They aren't, they're both fiscal and social conservatives of a Christian bent.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Did you just peek at the stuff that's still on Twitter, or did you peruse google for the stuff he deleted? He went so far off the rails it's almost frightening. He was effectively advocating violent revolution.

Even Fox was trying to dial it back. Rove's appearance on Fox News last night was comedy gold. Basically five minutes of "slow your roll, bro, it's over. Math. Sorry."
    To point out for some others in the UK and elsewhere, it really is scary how emotionally different US conservatives are from, like, the rest of human society.

As many have pointed out in various media, when Obama did poorly in the first debate, liberals expressed . . . disappointment in Obama. But when Romney did poorly in the other two, conservatives pointed fingers of unfair questions and unfair moderators and everything not being fair.

Likewise, when conservatives lose the election, it's clearly a failure in the democratic process, and the only logical response is revolution.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast