Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When Letters Pages Go Anti-Gay

Administrator

Default When Letters Pages Go Anti-Gay

The letters page above has been doing the rounds online, with Christos Gage answering reader concerns over the presence of gay characters in Avengers Academy. It's a long and considered letter, as is the response. But the Bendis Board found another, less considered back and forth from Gen 13 #5 back in the mid nineties. Sent by a Patrick Gleason no less, who would go on to be a professional comic book artist, currently drawing Batman And Robin...

Patrick tells me;
    "Yeah, people have brought this embarrassing bit of trivia up to me at conventions in the past. How long ago was this? Fifteen years or more? Anyway, it was mid 90's I'd guess and at the hight of the books popularity. What appears in the letter column is just the over dramatic, poorly positioned, poorly worded, nerd-rage of a Gen-13 fan. Someone who really didn't want his new favorite book changed for what was perceived as mere shock value. The response received by the youth from the letters editor was particularly place-putting and well deserved."
    My own embarrassing letters are, I think, confined to X-Men #4 and a piece of fan art in Spawn #10. No, don't look...

Consultant of Cool

Hm. Well, I think I'm going to be adding AA to my hold (though only partially because of this exchange. The comic shop has been recommending this book to be for a while now). So I guess that's one "progressive" reader to replace Mr. Smith....

It's a long and considered letter, as is the response
    They're, aren't they? I retwitted that image yesterday too. Thought it was a great exemple of a high level, well spoken discussion.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by abbasax View Post
    Hm. Well, I think I'm going to be adding AA to my hold (though only partially because of this exchange. The comic shop has been recommending this book to be for a while now). So I guess that's one "progressive" reader to replace Mr. Smith....
    AA has been a consistantly intresting and fun read right from the start.

Seattle (as immortalized by Public Image Limited)

It's an anti-gay letter, not an anti-gay letters page. A certainly well reasoned response from Mr Gage.

Ditto.
    Nice to see some well considered and polite disagreements instead of the usual internet nerd-rage. Bravo Gage (I love AA too).

Banned

last line of paragraph 1 loses me to the notion that Mr.Smith surely belongs in a trailer park.
    "FYUUFF" - Toxic Narcotic

the 1st line of Mr. Gage's response puzzles me. higher-ground maybe?

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Even if the reader stays polite and write in a civil tone, his beliefs make me grind my teeth.

I find it so offensive that people like him consider it right that homosexuality is treated any different than heterosexuality in a comicbook.

It's also offensive to even consider the outing of a character as a political issue and not an issue of the character development of said character.

Luckily there are more and more conservatives, even in the US, who seem to have a reasonable and unbigoted view of homosexuality, hopefully there'll be a time where no one with this antediluvian views exists anymore.

Where is the difference between condemning someone for their sexuality and condemning someone for their race or religion? There is none!
    Even if you subscribe to the "idea" that people choose their sexuality, I'd like to know why this in turn would give you the right to judge homosexuals?

Compliments to Christos Gage for his well written and polite reply, I don't think I would have managed to stay as professional as he does.

Patrick Gleason's letter does indeed seem like a childish outburst, I wouldn't hold it against him without knowing his present views and values.
    I still remember the Wildstorm letter pages and forums, when it became clear to even the imbeciles that Apollo and Midnighter were gay and would stay gay and still be in the Authority. There were lots of even worse comments, Patrick just has the problem that his rant didn't come anonymous via the internet.

Also, I remember embarrasing letters from other creators, without the excuse that they were young and stupid.
    F.e. Lary Stucker wrote one to Todd Nauck in a Wildguard letters page, branding him almost a religious fanatic in my book.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by drachenfells View Post
    AA has been a consistantly intresting and fun read right from the start.
    Quoted because I agree with this post.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Oh great, I supposse it was just a matter of time before he posts in this thread.

Don't anyone dare to quote him and ruin my day.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast