Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Ottley Burning Invincible Original Art Pages. Dealers Weep.

Blog Editing Robot BC Blog Editor's Avatar

Default Ryan Ottley Burning Invincible Original Art Pages. Dealers Weep.

If you are a collector of original artwork from comic books then please, look away now. Because this is going to hurt.
    "My good friend Derek Hunter and I had a burning party (two dudes is a party right?!) where we basically burned old art of ours that we hated. I posted the pics on Twitter as we were doing it and I got many questions and comments.

""WHY are you doing that?!? Do you LIKE burning money?! You could have given those to a charity, Japan relief fund! You could have sent those to ME, I would pay postage!"

"My reasoning is, why would I want MORE bad art out there in circulation?! I only give art to charities that I like and think will pull a good profit for them. Giving away bad art to a charity is just...rude"
    Check the photos below. There are many reasons I hate these early Invincible pages. Mainly it's my lack of ability to draw a decent anatomically correct face. High brows, facial features look like they were just thrown on a blank face and where ever they landed I let them be. Not happy with them.

Told you it was going to be painful. To buy some art that Ryan is willing to sell, go here. Before he changes his mind and burns that as well.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Complete sell involved ass hat. He could have given that money to many, many needy causes and people. Don't want to give it to charity? Find someone in your neighborhood down on their luck due to injury or poverty and just hand them the dough.

I've never seen ego this overwhelmingly selfish before. Piss on him.

Dean of Cool University

Its his art, to do with as he wishes. I have to say though that whether the art is bad or not (I seriously doubt its as bad as he thinks), its part of the evolution of his craft and talent, it seems a shame not to have that in the future, to leave for posterity.

Its a real pity and I can't help feeling he's being a bit precious but its nothing really to get too bent out of shape over.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Yes it would be totally rude to give art you consider "bad" to charity...of course...no problem giving it to the publisher to print for us readers to spend money on to read.

Mr. Ottley is entitled to do whatever he wants with his work, but making a spectacle of it is a bit off. It's a tease. I understand not wanting to give it to charity in light of doing "better" work for charity, provided that is what he actually does. It should be considered, the level of market saturation vs. avg price point of your art, even in a charity because you do want to raise as much money as possible for said charity. Of course, this is all dependent on whether or not he is actually contributing to all the charities he could be contributing to in place of potential art now burnt.

Account Closed

Oh, the shock and horror of monetary loss.

Really it is his property, but to rub peoples faces in that he could have done something charitable with it but refused because of some lofty self imposed standard is pretty rude too.
    I guess if the art is that god awful, then he should also burn the money he earns off the reprints too? I mean it is just dishonest as an artist to continue to profit off bad art! Better yet, maybe if his early art is such a crime against humanity that it deserves to be burned, he needs to order Image to pulp all those early badly drawn issues and have them stop reprinting them?
    Surgeon General Warning! Sigs are bad for your health!

VP in Charge of Cool

Not doing something for charity != being selfish.

Entirely up to him what he does with his work, and he's under absolutely no obligation to do anything for any charity or anyone else; but I agree with Josh that it's a bit of a tease to post pictures - he surely must have realised the reaction it would bring. If he doesn't want bad art affecting his reputation, or future value, by circulating it, for whatever good cause, maybe not a good idea to bring attention to it in the first place?

The "or you could have sent it to me" comment, though, smacks of entitlement, not an urge towards charitable deeds!

Dean of Cool University MWEDMER's Avatar

I have a drawer that is filled with art going back 20 years. Its nice to pull that stuff out when there are other artists over just to show them that I was doing some garbage work at one point.

Of course, by burning some of his "bad" art and letting people know, he is artificially creating scarcity and so the price of his "good" art will go up. Now if he was going to do the decent thing he'd donate some of that "good" art to charity (preferably covers or splash pages folks pay more for those) so they can then make more off these pieces than they would before. I'm sure these folks would be grateful for it, as would the people of Japan:

http://genreforjapan.wordpress.com

I await the announcement with interest.
    if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Tumblr | Fractal Friction | Google+

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast