Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speculator Corner - Anyone Got Ten Bucks?

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Speculator Corner - Anyone Got Ten Bucks?

Here are ten imaginary US dollars. What can we spend them on today in hope of a decent return in six months time?

Well, tip for the top is Green Lantern #29-35 from 2008. Seven issues that make up the Secret Origin arc. The first has already been issued as a $1 reprint, the original usually goes from $2-$3 on eBay, the rest can be picked up for $1 or less. Certainly you should be able to get the lot for $10 or less.

So why the possible future interest? Because these are the issues that Ryan Reynolds says makes up his bible for the Green Lantern character in next year's movie. Written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Ivan Reis, it's also a focal point for the expansion of the Green Lantern brand in the DC Universe. One could almost say that the new DCU started here. Not quite the The Bronze Age... how about The Johns Age?

Anyway, if you've got ten bucks and you get in quick, who knows. If niothing else, you'll get a decent read out of it.

Wrote the Book on Cool

See what ever was consiered the modern age just ended and I was thinking what would be the kick off point for the new era was. If we are using an issue as a starting point and not Disney buying Marvel I was putting my money on GL: Rebirth #1. It's clearly not anything from Marvel because their out put is just variant covers and them reacting to what DC is doing in their books.

Consultant of Cool

I think the back issue market is a dead industry.

The reasons back issues used to matter was scarcity. If you didn't own the actual issue, you couldn't read it.

Now you can buy the trade, or pick up the digital editions.

Sooner or later people will figure it out, and comics will go back to being what they once were. Disposable pieces of paper that people read and enjoy.

I think your best bet for speculation is the Green Lantern: Secret Origin hardcover, it can still be picked up relatively cheaply but is out of print. Out-of-print hardcovers tend to rapidly g up in value and with a film tie-in you could make a pretty penny (as long as you sell it before DC reprint the hardcover, if they do).
    if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Tumblr | Fractal Friction | Google+

VP in Charge of Cool Kevin T Brown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post

The reasons back issues used to matter was scarcity. If you didn't own the actual issue, you couldn't read it.

Sooner or later people will figure it out, and comics will go back to being what they once were. Disposable pieces of paper that people read and enjoy.
    Anything from the past, oh, 10-15 years, definitely yes. 15-25 years ago, rather iffy. 25+ years ago, no way.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post

Back issues aren't a dead industry, but they sure aren't what they once were. There are plenty of things that are never going to be collected or available as a legal download (and a buncha stuff that prob'ly won't be available illegally either). And, ya know, there are some people that prefer to read the individual issues.

Wrote the Book on Cool

There are always exceptions.

The early Walking Dead issues have been reprinted in at least 3 formats (and #1 reissued yet another time as a $1.00 comic) and yet they seem to be holding their value quite.....

....Erm, Scratch that. Back issues from the last 15 years are indeed worthless. Anyone looking to unload those disposable early Walking Dead's, just send me a PM and I'll be happy to exchange your copies of Issues #1-6 for a nice shiny new TPB.

Dean of Cool University Grendel's Avatar

Silver and Bronze age in nice condition will always be valuable. 90's glut, chromium/speculation crap, not. And the print runs of todays singles is so low that I think they will be collectible when everyone is just downloading stories. And people will think It's retro to have an actual comic book. But this will probably be the case after we are all dead.

Bleeding Cool

This was a decent story that was at least two issues too long.

It certainly made sense to update the origin story following all the revelations of the GL mythos in the Sinestro Corps War, but at the same time, SCW jumpstarted renewed interest in both GL titles and really built some momentum, and those 7 months (8 to 9 counting delays) of the origin story threatened to kill it. They'd just introduced all these new characters and concepts, but put off exploring them until after recapping the origin.

It was a good idea, but the timing could've been better.

Thanks for posting that story Rich, someone went into my online store overnight and cleaned me out of all the copies of this I had left! Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast