Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kick Ass On Times Square And Oxford Circus - And Other Animals (UPDATE)

Administrator

Default Kick Ass On Times Square And Oxford Circus - And Other Animals (UPDATE)

While Mark Millar may not have his Nemesis poster on Times Square, he does have this Kick-Ass billboard.

And you should see the window display at FCUK on Oxford Circus right now. As Mark Millar says, "When French Connection sells a Kick-Ass hoodie I get a cut of that." I'll pop by with a camera tomorrow.

But in other news, as /Film picks up yesterday's Bleeding Cool story about Mark Millar's claims he was asked to write X-Men 4, Matthew Vaughn seems to throw Mark Millar's claims about potentially writing a Superman movie under a bus. "That sort of all got blown out of proportion. I had a very brief chat with them and that's all it was. From a 30-second chat, it's become this huge thing... we just had an idea for a story for Superman ? that was it."

Which as a little less than even the "meetings" that Millar alluded to.

And Latino Review source Pinche Taco, who clearly has a very big bee in his pińata regarding Mark Millar, amid a hail of abuse and bile, firstly damns any possibility that Millar was ever offered X-Men 4, then states that Nemesis will not get a movie deal, then that Matthew Vaughn will be directing a movie version of the Valiant comic Bloodshot. Which is very much at odds with Mark Millar's statement that he and Vaughn would be working on a movie version of Millar and Leinil Francis Yu's upcoming comic.

A few bold statements there, and a number that should be verified (or not) in the coming weeks too...

UPDATE: Mark Millar has responded to Pinche Taco saying;
    HAVE YOU SEEN THIS GUY AT LATINO REVIEW?         &n bsp;            &n bsp;       IT'S ACTUALLY QUITE DISTURBING...where the guy claims Vaughn is doing a Valiant book called Bloodshot next and not working with me on the Leinil Francis Yu project we're launching in September. It's totally insane. I remember Vaughn being offered this months back, but he turned it down along with a number of other projects he was offered and is starting work on the screenplay for the Leinil project in the next couple of weeks. We talked about it on the phone this morning.

I honestly don't know where to begin with this piece. Kick-Ass tracking badly? It's tracking massive. Nemesis having terrible reviews? See main thread for all the great reviews. Nobody producers coming forward for the Nemesis movie? We've got Marc Foster, Sam Raimi's company, Chuck Roven, Marv Productions, WB and others all wanting to talk months before the book is even out and I'm meeting with a director the week after next, closing in on a decision we'll announce by the end of next month. This is just bonkers stuff and I honestly worry about this guy. It's a shame that someone you've never met is so consumed with hate that he says CAA only keep me on to stop me able to sign with anyone else. Or that Vaughn, who's a close friend I have three movies planned with, is fed up with my antics, etc. The strangest one, however, is how awful Wanted was and how much it strayed from my original book, the only thing it kept being the "retarded loom thingy"

Lord, give me strength!

What's nice is that we'll announce what we're doing in the next couple of months and Drew, the exec at Fox who invited me to write X-Men, can easily confirm. I guess this is just one of those unfortunate things that happen when things are going good. The downside of things going well is that some people become obsessive and weird and this guy, whoever he is, I genuinely just wish well and hope he gets over it. Strange times indeed, but good times and being in the comics industry since age nineteen has given me quite a thick hide when it comes to the more eccentric side of the business.

Latino guys, I like your site. I have checked it out for years, but it's a disgrace that you're letting this guy peddle this stuff out there. Uncool.

MM

I'm no fan of Millar's (like you guys didn't already know that), but I have to give him major props for being very polite to one of his biggest detractors.

That all being said, Millar is still a lying BS artist.

I'm pretty sure that Mark Millar doesn't have this billboard up in Times Square. Chances are it's Lionsgate, Universal Studios, Plan B entertainment or MARV Films that paid for this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Here's a freebie for you Rich, I've tried to come up with a suitable snappy headline but feel free to change it as suits the article (fellow Bleeders suggestions are welcome).

It's a current piece involving some research about Millar/Vaughan/KickAss so that should help your daily quota.

Don't worry about running it past Millar or any of his Marvel pals as it's sourced 100% from quotes from Millar, Vaughan and Goldman themselves and I've included links to these quotes in case you're still skittish about running a breaking story about an a-list comic creator and his self-grandiose fits of delusion/fictitious history that he maintains is true even if the contradiction with the facts makes others out to be liars/ignorant/idiots.

THE LYING SCOTSMAN OR KICK-ASS LICK-ASS
    Scots Scribe Mark Millar (Enfant Terrible/Hollywood ingenue/This generations Stan Lee/Better than Alan Moore) seems to be leeching on to Kick Ass Director Matthew Vaughan for dear life these days.

Whilst still working on Kick-Ass Millar (famed for his filmic fibs) announced that Vaughan's next project would be working with Millar on Millar's Chosen, later Millar announced they'd be jumping straight into Kick-Ass 2. Recently however as the tracking for Kick-Ass becomes clearer and the figures for Kick-Ass's preview weekend roles in (which the shy and retiring Millar has neglected to start any multiple threads on trumpetting his success) Millar has decided that he and Vaughan will be working on a new creator project he's got coming out with Lenil Yu instead.

Whatever happens Millar has made it clear from the start of their Kick-Ass collaboration that Vaughan's essentially his bitch and will work on any of Millar's projects, loves them all and only envisages a creative and professional future that hinges on Millar.

Which isn't true but has been the lie perpetuated by Millar from the very start of his relationship with Vaughan right up to today.

For some strange narsisstic reason Millar, who's lies are normally designed to get himself attention, press coverage and raise his stock fictiously in Hollywood, feels it's important to untruthfully make it clear that he was sought out and wooed by Vaughan to work together; to the extent of contradicting Vaughan even though Vaughan and Kick-Ass screenwriter Jane Goldman's accounts compliment each others and Goldman was the one who made the introduction.

The truth is Millar (who has said he has never pitched and that it's beneath him) begged his pal Johnathan Ross's wife who had just worked with Vaughan on Stardust to get him a meeting with Vaughan, who he'd never met or communicated with, to pitch Kick-Ass. Goldman invited Millar to the Sardust Premiere and after-party where she introduced him to Vaughan. And that's worked out very successfully for the canny coatbridge con-merchant.

But bizzarely that's not enough for Millar who feels it's important that the world think he was sought out by Vaughan, luckily for Vaughan.

From the very start in posts and interviews Millar portrayed (the famous, rich, successful, married to a supermodel with a coterie of celebrity chums) Vaughan as pals who he had met prior to the Stardust Premiere, had communicated and e-mailed about working together and who approached Millar about giving him something to work on.

In fact Millar states that Vaughan (who remember had never met or communicated with Millar prior to the Stardust party) was working with Millar on Chosen when Millar told him about Kick-Ass and Vaughan told him how much he loved Kick-Ass, asked Millar could he do that instead of Chosen and invited him to the Stardust Party personally to beg Milar to let him do it.

Millar still says today this is what happened in light of contradictory accounts from Vaughan.

Here's Matthew Vaughan's account of how he first encountered Mark Millar, who he didn't know, had never met or worked with: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=22657
    "I met him at the premiere of “Stardust.” We got on really well. I knew who he was and what he had done but I didn’t know him. He pitched me the idea. I said, “That’s great!” He then wrote a synopsis. I went, “That’s great, let’s go do it now! You write the comic, I’ll write the script.” And we just kept in contact and we got it done. He’ll probably say something absolutely different but that is the truth."
    Here's Vaughan's pal and Stardust screenwriter Jane Goldman's account of Vaughan and Millar:http://www.superherohype.com/news/fe...ws.php?id=8948
    "Mark had said to me that he was very excited about what he was working on and he said, "I feel like I have one of my best ideas ever. It would make a great movie." He knew I had just worked with Matthew and he said that he'd love to talk to Matthew about it, so he came over to the "Stardust" party and they got talking and that was kind of how it started."
    Here's Millar's account of his wooing by his good pal Vaughan:http://www.superherohype.com/news/fe...ws.php?id=8948 http://bobmitchellinthe21stcentury.w...movie-special/
    "“There was a book I did a few years ago called Chosen, it was Harry Potter meets fundemantilist Christians, the Second Coming of Jesus, and Matthew wanted to do that. And then, weirdly, I copy a few pals into what I’m working on and I fired him the first few scripts on Kick-Ass, and he phoned me up and said ‘I love this can we do this instead and do Chosen later?’

“And I’m like ‘Are you kidding? I haven’t even finished this yet’ and he just said ‘Get me the rest of the scripts, get me everything you’ve got on it’ and I fired him most of it away. The next day I flew down and we started talking and he got Jonathan Ross‘ wife Jane Goldman to come in a do a polish. "

"Matthew and I have a couple mutual friends, like Jonathan Ross and Jane Goldman, she's one of the screenwriters and she worked on "Stardust" with Matthew. I'd just been up at their house and got to know Matthew through them and I was at the "Stardust" after party and Matthew said to me at the party, "Oh, it's not working out with 'Thor' and now that 'Stardust's' finished, I've got nothing left to do. Have you got anything that you own?" I said, "Well, a couple of things" and I told him about "Kick-Ass" and I'd only written the first two issues. He said, "Send it then and send me the plot for the rest of it." I fired it down and he loved it"
    Today on Millarworld a poster reported innocently on Vaughan publicising Kick-Ass on Radio where Vaughan mentioned in passing that Millar pitched him Kick-Ass at the Stardust Premiere. No big deal, an inconsequential matter of public record.

Not so to Mark Millar (who now has never pitched and has allways thought it beneath him) who immediately responded in the thread correcting Vaughan's invention of a pitch and further embellishing his fictitious history with Vaughan: http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.p...ic=92421&st=60
    "we only spoke for ten seconds at the Stardust premiere. He invited me down because we were ALREADY doing Kick-Ass"
    Mark Millar; Loveable canny self-promoter with a tendencey to exaggerate or increasingly creepy fantasist bordering on mental illness? You decide (not you Rich we already know which view you have and promote).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nova2814 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Mark Millar doesn't have this billboard up in Times Square. Chances are it's Lionsgate, Universal Studios, Plan B entertainment or MARV Films that paid for this.
    Glad I'm not the only one to think this.

Also, Mike Daniels possibly deserves some sort of medal for that post.

It's also very very funny to see that Millar is now talking about setting a lawyer on the Latino Review guys. I can't help but think that a lawyer will struggle to claim about material damages to reputation when representing a client who has demonstrably lied repeatedly to get in the public eye...

VP in Charge of Cool

You missed the most telling statement off Vaughan..

He’ll probably say something absolutely different but that is the truth.

Consultant of Cool

Bravo Mike, I always enjoy you're posts.

Administrator

Mike's post is full of good stuff. But it's permeated with bile. That Millar lies/exaggerated about things is worthy of comment. To turn it into some kind of war crime is something else. I didn't turn on that much invective against Pat Lee who was doing people for tens of thousands. Millar exaggerates to promote his work. So yes, hold him to account. But don't hold him to the ground and throttle him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Mike's post is full of good stuff. But it's permeated with bile. That Millar lies/exaggerated about things is worthy of comment. To turn it into some kind of war crime is something else. I didn't turn on that much invective against Pat Lee who was doing people for tens of thousands. Millar exaggerates to promote his work. So yes, hold him to account. But don't hold him to the ground and throttle him.
    Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that sometimes he exaggerates and sometimes he makes statements that are demonstrably false? (The Kick-Ass pitch thing as per Goodman & Vaughn, the GLAAD award thing, the recent billboard thing, etc). Yes, he generates a buzz around himself - but he often does so by making false statements. The comparison that comes to mind is Micah Ian Wright, who lied about serving in the military and was then booted off Stormwatch when it was uncovered.

Why is it different when Millar makes false statements to promote himself?

Consultant of Cool

In all fairness though, while I'll agree with you Rich that Mike's posts are full of bile, they do provide a nice balance to the many Millar fluffed pices we've had run at this site for the last few weeks.

If there were fewer biased articles pimping Millar then I'd be more inclined to believe that Mike should tone down his stance.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast