Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Review: Wonder Woman #8 by Brian Azzarello And Cliff Chiang

Zen Master of Cool

I think he means the video game God of War.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    not read god of war (or you talking about nic cage?) but the similarities with 100 Bullets are how BA puts together a story ... I think ... which is kind of obvious to say ... but who wants to be mysterious every day
    Yes, God Of War the video game; if you're into this stuff at all, it really is excellent.
    Last edited by Ian Coke; 04-22-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

I don't really have a problem with the overall direction and tone of the series. It's is as good as it's been in years. Is it a wasted opportunity to appeal to a different demographic? Maybe and maybe not. Considering the kind of violent, bloody content that female teens enjoy such as The Hunger Games and the like, there might be something to the current approach. I wish there were more traditional elements that point to Marston's subtly sexualized vision to go with the darker undercurrents, but most of the changes are okay by me.
    calkundera likes this.
    Superfictious - Read super fiction, metafiction, and flash fiction from the original physicist fictionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I like the way this series is using the Gods. It's a good comic, and anyone who drops it because of the Amazons is a lesbian.
    What an amazingly thoughtful and insightful rebuttal to the shallowness of reactions like this:

She Has No Head! – Is the Destruction of The Amazons The Destruction of Feminism in DC Comics? | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

and this:

Too Busy Thinking About My Comics: On Wonder Woman #7

(Unless of course you're joking, in which case, "LOL?")

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    WONDER WOMAN is a well written, well drawn comic. Fill-in issue aside, I'm enjoying it. But I don't think it should exist.

Wonder Woman is a character that's meant to appeal to a broad audience, and particularly to young female readers who might be turned off by Batman or some of the other darker characters. She's supposed to be a role model with a family friendly brand. You shouldn't recast her origin to make adultery a plot point. I know it's supposed to be a clever twist, but my main takeaway is that DC doesn't want parents buying Wonder Woman comics for their daughters, which I think is a shame.

I think the 52 reboot was a ballsy thing to do, but ultimately Didio and Co. decided to double-down on middle aged white men as their target audience and that's going to kill the medium in the long run.
    That first line is a concept I have no understanding of at all. The second line ... Yeah, you're going to have to support that in order for it to have any meaning. Seems to me that Wonder Woman is a character who is meant to appeal to whomever the writers are writing for. What inside information do you have?

Bleeding Cool

Ain't she in Justice League ... in the old silver?
    Yes she is in the League, right now.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    That first line is a concept I have no understanding of at all. The second line ... Yeah, you're going to have to support that in order for it to have any meaning. Seems to me that Wonder Woman is a character who is meant to appeal to whomever the writers are writing for. What inside information do you have?
    He's saying that he likes it a lot ... but he's not sure that it should exist ... it's pretty straightforward, I think.

He likes this direction, but he feels that the character is born to be something to appeal to those other than the core audience.

Myself, I think that this book is determinably off the normal DC core audience.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    Yes she is in the League, right now.
    Er, yes, but it's still the same version of the character, even if she's appearing in another book.

That first article is great, and she is very clear that this is just her reading of the situation and that it's not necessarily the complete reading of the situation.

I for one (especially after 100 bullets) know to trust BA's direction and plotting.
    There will be an endgame.

Going to read that blogspot now ...

Quote Originally Posted by defchild View Post
    What an amazingly thoughtful and insightful rebuttal to the shallowness of reactions ....
    (Unless of course you're joking, in which case, "LOL?")
    He was!

'ironic' lesbian ...

Oh, thanks for the links!

[edit]
    Sorry, the second guy lost me early.
    Washing up then bed.

Play nice children!

Bleeding Cool

He's saying that he likes it a lot ... but he's not sure that it should exist ... it's pretty straightforward, I think.

He likes this direction, but he feels that the character is born to be something to appeal to those other than the core audience.

Myself, I think that this book is determinably off the normal DC core audience.
    Thanks 3M. LOL I actually understood the English-to-English translation, just not the ideas behind the translation.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast