Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Iron Man No More - Gwyneth Paltrow Says There Won't Be A Part Four

VP in Charge of Cool

At this point, I suppose the clincher would be for the idea/script for IM4 to be something really fresh, innovative and challenging. If the money alone won't do it.

I suspect that in terms of both Avengers 2 and other movies, it might be workable for RDJ to do some Tony Stark cameos, or shoot some scenes that wouldn't take a lot of time (on his part, the CGI armor being what takes time) , if he's worried about not having time for other things.

Most likely any hesitation might just be related to negotiating positions, or that momentary "fatigue" actors have with projects after a lot of time on set or after endless, boring and repetitive press junkets.

I'm not really worried about RDJ disappearing from the Marvel Movies. The only real issue is what his involvement will be and what would make the 4th movie worth doing, creatively.
    Peter J Poole likes this.

Dean of Cool University Greygor's Avatar

If RDJ signs up we're pretty much arguing over nothing.

If he doesn't then Marvel has to drop IM or recast. I don't have an issue with recasting, growing up with Bond & Dr. Who it was never been an issue.

As to audiences, they've been exposed to it before in the Batman & Superman Franchise. In both these the problem has never been with the re-casting and lack of audience accepting it, it's been with the quality of the final product.

An Avengers film without IM, but with a good, fun story would still do pretty well.

An Iron-Man film with a new Tony Stark will be fine as long as the story is good.

In fact, I'd be up for the idea of each Avengers film rotating some heroes out and bring new ones in as they're introduced in each new Marvel Phase. Avengers new line up issues were often my favourite ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Greygor View Post

An Avengers film without IM, but with a good, fun story would still do pretty well.
    I totally agree with this.

An Iron-Man film with a new Tony Stark will be fine as long as the story is good.
    This however, I'm quite skeptical about. IM is a C-list comic book superhero. He does not have string of great comic stories to mine, unlike Spider-man, Batman and Superman. Essentially the Spider-man, Batman and Superman characters are much bigger than the actors who play them. IM movies on the other hand are only good because of RDJ, the best bits are when RJD is on screen. Take that way and all you've got is cgi.

Essentially RDJ made IM cool. Before hand he was never at the top of any favourite superhero list.
    Spider-man, Superman and Batman have always been cool. Hell, Batman can withstand Joel Shumacher.

Even now, IM comics are pretty rubbish despite Marvel putting decent talent on the character like Fraction and Gillen. The movies work because of RDJ. I'm reminded a lot of the Blade films, Marvel could never make a comic as good as the films with Wesley Snipes. Sometimes an actor totally owns a role and improves the source material.

In fact, I'd be up for the idea of each Avengers film rotating some heroes out and bring new ones in as they're introduced in each new Marvel Phase. Avengers new line up issues were often my favourite ones.
    I totally agree with this as well.
    Last edited by uz000; 04-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by uz000 View Post
    IM is a C-list comic book superhero.
    You keep saying that, as though it makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    ok, lets see if I can make my point.

1) When Marvel first started licensing their characters out who did the film companies go for? X-Men, Hulk and Spider-man. So IM wasn't a first choice for anyone. Why is that? C-list.

2) As for his great comic back catalogue, don't make me laugh. The most interesting thing IM ever did in a comic was get drunk
    That and get written totally out of character and played as a light weight bad guy.
    There are no big name writers whose great IM work is essential reading. C-list.

3) If you go look at those old fan votes on favourite Superhero characters (prior to Marvel making movies) Batman would always win, followed closely by Wolverine, Spider-man and Superman. Iron Man was nowhere to be seen. C-list.

IM before RDJ was C-list all the way. RDJ IM is totally A-list.
    Last edited by uz000; 04-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Dean of Cool University Greygor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    To be fair many years ago this was sort of true amongst comic fans (probably more B-List than C though).

To the general public he may as well have been Z-List until the first film. A non Comic reader would have probably heard of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man even The Hulk. But Iron-Man would have caused a blank stare if mentioned.
    uz000 likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

At this stage Iron Man is RDJ, and RDJ is Iron Man. They won't recast, and if RDJ won't do it they'll wait for memories to dull, minimum of 2 years I'd imagine.

However, I imagine Marvel has a plan. IM series has attracted a lot of viewers, but then Avengers did too so now there's more viewers who're more familiar with the characters and away we go. If they're trying to expand the scope they need to rest characters and keep things shifting, I'd imagine they'll do CP3 and Thor 3 (depending on box office bank roll) and then shelve them for a while. They've got a big stable of characters, they've introduced Black Widow and Hawkeye in a big way. More than 3 films in a short period of time and people are going to become bored of the character, they've given us enough to sate our appetites and they'll bring on the next dish later.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Smith View Post
    At this stage Iron Man is RDJ, and RDJ is Iron Man. They won't recast, and if RDJ won't do it they'll wait for memories to dull, minimum of 2 years I'd imagine.

However, I imagine Marvel has a plan. IM series has attracted a lot of viewers, but then Avengers did too so now there's more viewers who're more familiar with the characters and away we go. If they're trying to expand the scope they need to rest characters and keep things shifting, I'd imagine they'll do CP3 and Thor 3 (depending on box office bank roll) and then shelve them for a while. They've got a big stable of characters, they've introduced Black Widow and Hawkeye in a big way. More than 3 films in a short period of time and people are going to become bored of the character, they've given us enough to sate our appetites and they'll bring on the next dish later.
    You seem to be crediting the movie makers with intelligence and/or integrity. I'm a little more cynical myself... Iron Man 4 (or Iron Man 2.0 or Iron Man - Level Up!) Starring Johnny Depp in 2015.

To be fair many years ago this was sort of true amongst comic fans (probably more B-List than C though).

To the general public he may as well have been Z-List until the first film. A non Comic reader would have probably heard of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man even The Hulk. But Iron-Man would have caused a blank stare if mentioned.
    Definitely a non-comic reader would not have known who Iron Man was before RDJ.
    However, even among comic readers he was never a big deal and even now isn't a big deal. Look at cbr's 100 best comic runs of all time (voted by readers in 2012).

2012 Top 100 Comic Book Runs Master List | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

Iron Man appears once (No 66 out of 100), that is the same number as Iron Fist. Totally C-list
    Last edited by uz000; 04-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chinhead View Post
    You seem to be crediting the movie makers with intelligence and/or integrity. I'm a little more cynical myself... Iron Man 4 (or Iron Man 2.0 or Iron Man - Level Up!) Starring Johnny Depp in 2015.
    Given how well they've treated the property and how much they'll be afraid of killing the golden goose, I'm fairly happy it'll be a while before we see a standalone IM film, and a while between Avengers appearances.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast