Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Brian Michael Bendis On The Guardians Of The Galaxy Film - Rocket Raccoon's Voice And Fitting To Tony Stark

Administrator

Default Brian Michael Bendis On The Guardians Of The Galaxy Film - Rocket Raccoon's Voice And Fitting To Tony Stark

During a conference call with comics retailers tonight, Brian Michael Bendis was asked a couple of questions about the incoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Of course, he made it pretty clear right off the bat that there was a limit to how much could comment:
    We are not able to speak about anything that's going on in the movies on a call like this.
    Not at all? How about speak around it a little bit?

Asked if Iron Man would be appearing in the Guardians film, as we're expecting, Bendis could obviously neither yay or nay, but did explain why he thinks the idea makes sense:
    Tony standing back and wondering what the Earth needs from him... what he can do for the Earth, for the galaxy... and then taking that back into his next Avengers adventure is a good story worth telling with Tony Stark.
    Well, it's not a No.

Getting on to the voice of Rocket Raccoon, and specifically the rumour that linkeed Adam Sandler to the part, Bendis started with an anecdote.

Once upon a time, not so long ago, when Bendis was writing Rocket character for the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, he was getting it all wrong and had to do a rewrite. The problem was manifest with Bruce Willis' voice.

Bendis eventually realised why: it's because he'd been watching the Dreamworks toon Over the Hedge with his kids. That stars Willis as a talking Raccoon called RJ.

RJ does not, for the record, have a gun. Or come from space.
    I realised I was writing the wrong Raccoon.
    As for the right Raccoon, Bendis says he now imagines Jason Statham's voice coming out of that little mouth. He particularly noted Statham's "English vowels, " but did say:
    Adam Sandler would be good, but Jason Statham would be good also.
    Statham? Yes, I think I like it. Just in Bendis' head, but it'd be great in the cinema too, I think.

Consultant of Cool

I'd still rather they hire a real voice actor that's going to do an amazing job, instead of stunt-cast a "name" and have it come off as less than awesome.
    littlemaths likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymattersplat View Post
    I'd still rather they hire a real voice actor that's going to do an amazing job, instead of stunt-cast a "name" and have it come off as less than awesome.
    John DiMaggio (Bender from Futurama, Marcus Fenis in the GOW games, a bazillion other things) would be kinda perfect for this...

Here's how Rocket sounded in AVENGERS:EMH.

Consultant of Cool mercifulbudah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greymattersplat View Post
    I totally agree. But Statham wouldn't be a bad choice. His voice is at least very distinctive. Better than anything I imagine Adam Sandler doing.

I for one, totally trust James Gunn. I've really enjoyed all of his movies (Yeah, even Scooby Doo). He has a very manic style and a great sense of visual humor. His colors and sets are always very distinctive and he seems to get the best from the actors he works with. So even if it does wind up being Adam Sandler, it will have likely been his (and Joss Whedon's) decision, so maybe it'll shock the hell out of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Going out on a limb...Groot pun not intended...here, but this doesn't bode well for Phyla or Adam's inclusion into the movie.

Also, may I just say how much I love that Peter Quill and John-117 have the same voice actor? That never fails to make me grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Static-Pulse View Post
    Going out on a limb...Groot pun not intended...here, but this doesn't bode well for Phyla or Adam's inclusion into the movie.
    I'm all for a female Quasar*, but I don't ever see the need for the Phyla character in a Marvel movie. She's almost as bad as the post-Crisis Donna Troy when it comes to a convoluted backstory, and not enough of an interesting hook to show up without any explanation (like she did in the cartoon - did she really add anything beyond being a female character?)

Adam Warlock would be awesome, especially if they went with Roy Thomas's Jesus Christ Superstar angle. (Yes, Rich, some of us in the banjo-Bible Belt would actually enjoy seeing the locals get so offended.)

*Wendy Vaughn for the Marvel movieverse?
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Also, I'd be for Jason Statham voicing Rocket Raccoon if he gets to say 'cunt'.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Statham has been my mental casting for RR since DnA brought him back.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Dean of Cool University Stefan Offenberg's Avatar

Gotta hand it to Bendis, Statham is a great choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast