Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking With Steve Wacker About... You Know What

Administrator

Default Talking With Steve Wacker About... You Know What

So Spider-Man editor Steve Wacker got embroiled took part in a Twitter conversation this morning about Spider-Man being or not being a rapist, with self-confessed troll KBox. I got mentioned because of the article I wrote last week "Rape, Redemption And The Amazing Spider-Man".

I asked Steve if he'd appreciate a Twitter conversation on the topic from someone who wasn't, as KBox admitted, deliberately trying to annoy him. So we had at it. I'm not sure if I had any success but I think I had a revelation along the way.

Here's how it went down.
    @richjohnston It's an important topic I care deeply about. But it has nothing to do with the contents of my Spider-Man comic.

? Stephen Wacker (@StephenWacker) December 29, 2012
    @stephenwacker but by putting NuPeter (has anyone called him that yet?) in a sexual situation with MJW, the issue is raised.

? Rich Johnston (@richjohnston) December 29, 2012
    @richjohnston Sure...just like in Jekyll &Hyde or FaceOff. But it quickly escalated to hysterical cries of "they're showing rape in Spidey!"

@stephenwacker this is absolutely true. But it's an issue raised in those as well. In Jekyll/Hyde it's intrinsic, but only after the twist

@richjohnston I await the cries of Stevenson advocating rape.

@stephenwacker that's the thing. I never accused you of advocating rape. I saw it as a measure of NuPeter, and addressed it in that light.

@stephenwacker no it's not, I don't think comics are horrible today and what I wrote didnt say that either.

@richjohnston I think you're anxious to show off how smarter you are than super hero comics. It's a common trait in older fans.

@stephenwacker you had MJW ripping off NuPeter's clothes, believing he was really Peter, initiating a sexual situation. It was raised.

@richjohnston That's a giant leap from someone tired of the conventions of super hero comics.

@stephenwacker I don't think that's a true depiction of me, and I don't think it's a giant leap either.

@richjohnston That's a very Rich Johnston sentiment. "I'm not SAYING it IS, but WHAT IF IT IS???!!! Oh, wait: Israel!!"

@richjohnston It's not in the least, but don't pretend it's in the comic.

@stephenwacker don't pretend it isn't. That's all I'm getting, it's either deception, blinkers or a mistake to suggest it isn't.

@stephenwacker right now my instinct is to say deception, you are are storytellers after all...

@richjohnston Superior Spider-Man 1 on sale January 9th. Oh and pick up Captain Marvel 9 too!

@stephenwacker will do!

@stephenwacker absolutely not. I was in praise of 700 because I thought it was smart.

@richjohnston Thanks, but I stand by my point.

@stephenwacker doesn't stop it from being wrong.

@stephenwacker of course, I don't think it was a bad thing it was raised. I thought it was deliberate.

@richjohnston It was Pete and MJ drama is at the heart of the book. But to jump to cries of rape is silly and diminishes the topic.

@richjohnston I know. I read it...it just fed the usual suspects. And you got Rape in your headline which helped you personally! And Israel!

@stephenwacker but the implications of his actions in real world law are considered.

@richjohnston When we want to. It's a soap opera Rich. And you know it.Verisimilitude is an option, not a necessity.

@stephenwacker it's like saying murder has nothing to do with a Punisher comic. The issue is raised by the contents of the comic.

@richjohnston That is nonsense considering the Punisher actually murders people.

@stephenwacker then in your previous words, "call the cops". No one actually murders anyone.

@stephenwacker certainly legislation in different locations varies on this. In the UK a sexual relationship between the two would be rape.

@richjohnston This where the conversation gets nuts. Arbitrarily bringing In real world law? Really? In super hero comics? Don't stop there!

@stephenwacker Dan Slott actively did this in She Hulk, including cases of superhero rape. I don't see why this should be different.

@richjohnston Sorry we aren't making the comic you think we should.

@stephenwacker straw man. I think if you do portray the pair in a sexual relationship as they are now, you have raised the topic of rape.

@richjohnston Not a straw man. An actual man. Guess you'll have to read the story. Doc is a pretty bad guy for sure.

@richjohnston @stephenwacker how about having this conversation after the plot has happened, eh? SSM 1 isn't out yet. Pick it up in a year.

? Paul Fosten (@PFoz) December 29, 2012
    @stephenwacker I'm expecting a story of redemption. Rape is an issue which was raised by 700, but not followed through. Expected that of SSM

@pfoz @richjohnston Ha...no chance. Rich knows a good thing when he has it. This will get several articles. Spideytroversy always works!

@stephenwacker if he has sex with MJW without telling her who he is, it's an issue. If he doesn't, its also an issue. The redemption of Otto

@richjohnston If that happens, I hope it IS an issue. We always need moresoap opera and drama.!

@stephenwacker but then you can't expect people not to ask whether or not it would be rape in that circumstance

@stephenwacker but yes, it's a serial medium with more to come. Anyone who dismisses spider-man as a rapist based on ASM 700 is wrong

@stephenwacker asking the question if he will be a rapist is not wrong, and the question is raised by 700 and 15.1. You dismissed that.

@richjohnston People can ask all sorts of questions. You can find readers who swear we're anti-Semitic too.

@richjohnston I dismissed that Spidey comics are a platform for a discussion about rape. We deal in dual identity every mon.

@stephenwacker then sex has to be kept out if it, or the issue can be raised, especially in these circumstances. And has before.

@stephenwacker I think you should own the issues you raise!

@stephenwacker if you are not addressing this point then it's irresponsible. Dan seems to suggest he is addressing the point.

@richjohnston Dan said read issue 2. I agree. More Pete and MJ in issue 2. You may not be happy though. So start your faux-outrage engines!

@stephenwacker there wasn't outrage, faux or otherwise, in that article or these tweets

@richjohnston But more importantly Rape and Spidey were close together. I worked on newspapers, Rich. I know the hamhanded trick.

@stephenwacker if I was after an exploitative headline, there were many more that would have done the trick better.

@richjohnston ! Other headlines like the sick kid you mean? Please stop with the Mother Teresa act. We all get that you're a sensitive hero!

@stephenwacker that headline was "um..."

@richjohnston @stephenwacker u guys playing comic world's Dawson's Creek...? I think better head to bed...Thanks 4 keepin me awake last 3hrs

? philip tan (@philipsytan) December 29, 2012
    @stephenwacker @richjohnston Hi Steve, I'm on record on here calling you my fave editor. Love all your books, but I think Rich is right here

? Alex Jamieson (@Alex_Jamieson) December 29, 2012
    @stephenwacker @richjohnston If Ock and MJ sleep together and she thinks she is Peter, you would be portraying a real world crime

@stephenwacker @richjohnston One that should be portrayed responsibly, even if it is "superhero comics".

@alex_jamieson @richjohnston We actually celebrate real world crimes every month in our books. It's the outrage that's selective.

@alex_jamieson @richjohnston But you support vigilantism?

@alex_jamieson @stephenwacker not necessarily. Check New York State law...

@alex_jamieson @richjohnston Fair enough. It hasn't been "portrayed" in my Spider-Man comic though.

@alex_jamieson @stephenwacker although if that had been changed by the amount of shapeshifters around, who knows

@stephenwacker @richjohnston And you can't use that antisemitism example. That's their opinion. Ock/MJ would categorically be rape in UK law

@stephenwacker indeed, there been little commentary about murder yet. I'm sure that's to come...

@alex_jamieson @richjohnston I have to tell my writers to now keep the laws of every country in mind when crafting super hero stories?

@stephenwacker Dan Slott wrote a comic about superhero law. I don't think you need to tell him a thing!

@richjohnston Rich, you're being facile. Im talking about this comic.

@stephenwacker @richjohnston This is true. I know I'm preempting story in SSM and I usually trust you but your response to Rich alarmed me

@alex_jamieson @richjohnston then you come wired a bit too tightly.

@stephenwacker @richjohnston I accept vigilantism for the sake of genre, plus Marvel portray it as a crime. Rape is many magnitudes worse.

@stephenwacker @richjohnston No, just explaining why British people would refer to a potential sexual encounter between MJ/Ock in this way

@alex_jamieson @richjohnston We Do not portray vigilantism asa crime. We portray it as heroic. See Spider-Man.

@stephenwacker @alex_jamieson It gets portrayed as both.

@stephenwacker @alex_jamieson Back and forth, depending on circumstances, but Spider-Man has often had police after him for it.

@richjohnston @alex_jamieson And yet Spider-Man carries on endangering police. Where's the petitions?

@stephenwacker @alex_jamieson No petitions from me...

@richjohnston You don't, but you don't mind playing to that crowd in hopes of riling up. There's no one left you're fooling with this, Rich.

The tweets are still continuing... at some point, Steve Wacker will go to bed. Not yet though.

I might be upsetting some folks but I think Rich comes off worse in the whole exchange. When I cut through Steve's usual snark I think his responses make sense from his position as editor and 'wait and see' is a viable answer. His digs of Rich's attention seeking headlines are ones that many a reader here complain of as well.
    The Comics Ticker- my new comics blog

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/mattspatola/venger-web-sig22222.jpg

Follow me on: Twitter l Facebook l Email me l The Venger Blog

SW brings up a good point we wil wait and see. Im going have to read the spoilers or buy the comic. Im intrested in this than otto fighting a bunxh of c listers.

Rich cares about the rape issue!
    (as long as it brings teh clixx)

I really wish Twitter posts could be reformatted to read easier, but I guess Ockrape is more important.

If they need bring up real life situations im all for it. Beats what dan done so far..

Wrote the Book on Cool

I'm amazed that people have so much time to waste on Twitter when they could be preparing to celebrate the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    Rich cares about the rape issue!
    (as long as it brings teh clixx)

I really wish Twitter posts could be reformatted to read easier, but I guess Ockrape is more important.
    Go to the main page much easier

Quote Originally Posted by Pariscub View Post
    I'm amazed that people have so much time to waste on Twitter when they could be preparing to celebrate the new year.
    Dude its two days to go

SSM #2. NuPeter and MJ shack up.
    He is the Star Lord. Respect him!

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Spatola View Post
    I might be upsetting some folks but I think Rich comes off worse in the whole exchange. When I cut through Steve's usual snark I think his responses make sense from his position as editor and 'wait and see' is a viable answer. His digs of Rich's attention seeking headlines are ones that many a reader here complain of as well.
    So long as you forget that Wacker doesn't even seem to understand Spider-Man comics - "Do you support vigilante-ism?" "Um, no, and neither does your comic where the police and the mayor are always trying to bring up that very issue. Meanwhile, the fact that you do not even address the issue of rape when there is a rape is disturbing. Would you have a character be murdered, and then pretend it didn't matter?"

Wacker just seems to be doing what a lot of people in comics do - keep it a boys club and pretend that their juvenile masculine power fantasies are completely fine, even if it does extend to what is definitely, definitely rape.

Just remember how proud Marvel was of Bendis on The Avengers - a book where, frequently, the only female characters were a mother and wife (Jessica Jones), a heroine Bendis didn't take serious (Squirrel Girl), cameos (like Echo), and female knock-offs of male heroes (Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman). Well, except for that one time Tigra got a prolonged beating from The Hood and his goons... They didn't even address that when he relaunched the book that every man was on the team because of some genuine tactical reason, and Spider-Woman was there because she was "sassy".

So, yes, Marvel is in the wrong, and Marvel has form in being like this.

Page 1 of 90 1231151 ... LastLast