Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Bachalo Talks Uncanny, Won't Say The Word X-Men, Says It Will Be A Little Darker...

Zen Master of Cool NielsVanEekelen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post
    Well that was quick. Who broke him out? After 12 issues of decompressed retreading, I didn't bother to pick up the follow-up series.
    He called in his buddies Magneto, Magik and Danger.

And you missed out--Consequences was excellent, basically five extra issues of Gillen Uncanny.
    FULCRUM: An ongoing fantasy saga by Niels van Eekelen, out now on Kindle and Smashwords in all e-book formats, or start reading for FREE on TelltaleProductions.nl

Quote Originally Posted by NielsVanEekelen View Post
    He called in his buddies Magneto, Magik and Danger.

And you missed out--Consequences was excellent, basically five extra issues of Gillen Uncanny.
    This. The last 3 issues of AvXC were stellar.

I'm excited for this new title (I assume Uncanny Brotherhood, or just Uncanny X), but I wish Gillen was writing it. Nothing againist Bendis, I just really loved Gillen's take on those characters. But if we get the same quality of writing Bendis puts into USM, I'll shut up and be pleased.

Well this could actually be a good series. An X book with a specific reason for being- excellent.
    The Comics Ticker- my new comics blog

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/mattspatola/venger-web-sig22222.jpg

Follow me on: Twitter l Facebook l Email me l The Venger Blog

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnarchris View Post
    This. The last 3 issues of AvXC were stellar.

I'm excited for this new title (I assume Uncanny Brotherhood, or just Uncanny X), but I wish Gillen was writing it. Nothing againist Bendis, I just really loved Gillen's take on those characters. But if we get the same quality of writing Bendis puts into USM, I'll shut up and be pleased.
    Ooh. I'd considered Brotherhood, too, but simply "Uncanny X" would be sweet.

And couldn't agree more about Gillen. Bendis had A LOT to live up to.

In the meantime, I'm having fun imagining what Bachalo will come up with for Illyana's costume. I'm hoping for something with a cloak and hood, properly sorceress-like.
    FULCRUM: An ongoing fantasy saga by Niels van Eekelen, out now on Kindle and Smashwords in all e-book formats, or start reading for FREE on TelltaleProductions.nl

Dean of Cool University

I have no interest in this at all

Wrote the Book on Cool

AvX Consequences was the antitode to AvX. Not decompressed, morally interesting, really good. I know the normal Marvel pattern is for the coda series to be weaksauce versions of the main event, but it was really good. Makes me sad that Gillen won't be writing the new Uncanny.

Uncanny Brotherhood is my guess.

I'm a total Bachalo geek but I'm not a fan of what can only be assume to be Magneto helmet. Looks too fantasy/Age of Apocalypse for the overall Marvel NOW look. I hate that Cyclops has simply walked away from the Phoenix experience with no character ramifications or lessons learned. If he doesn't die within the year it'll be a complete failure of character. He just doesn't seem fit to go full-on villain. I do look forward to a new Brotherhood, though.

I'll be buying, reluctantly.
    almost colossus | "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons." -- Hellboy

Zen Master of Cool

I gotta chime in and agree with the consensus, Consequences was very good. Its mostly a "talking head" series but its well done. You get some resolutions, some set-up, and some really meaty character development and interaction. Mega kudos to Mr. Gillen. He has transformed into my favorite modern X-writer. Well, I love the team of Gillen, Remender and Aaron. Looks like Remender is no longer doing x-related work for the time being and Bendis is walking into the role of an X-architect. Gillen is also not doing more x-work right? So I guess its just Aaron and Bendis.

I'll have to read Gillen's post x-work for sure.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jamius View Post
    I'm a total Bachalo geek but I'm not a fan of what can only be assume to be Magneto helmet. Looks too fantasy/Age of Apocalypse for the overall Marvel NOW look. I hate that Cyclops has simply walked away from the Phoenix experience with no character ramifications or lessons learned. If he doesn't die within the year it'll be a complete failure of character. He just doesn't seem fit to go full-on villain. I do look forward to a new Brotherhood, though.

I don't agree with your assessment of Cyclops. I think prior to AvX Cyclops made moderate-to-controversial leadership decisions. If you read Consequences #5 you can see that he's become extremely militant. He writes Wolverine a letter saying that he wants him to be the school teacher, and he'll be the dude protecting the school (by any means necessary?) Roles totally reversed. <spoiler>He had Danger carve an "X" on the face of the prison owner as a statement to what he would do to anyone who would abuse mutants.</spoiler>

By the time Consequences #5 ended you could hear a Rage Against the Machine track while the ending credits rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by jamius View Post

Disagree strongly about Cyclops's character development--AvX was pretty much the end of the arc he was on, and it proved--to him, certainly (the rest of us can continue to argue)--that he was right.

In Consequences #5 he actually says (writes) to Wolverine, "since you've gone soft, I've had to become the scary badass."

Re, Magneto's helmet--yeah, it seems a bit much, but I'm guessing that the new costumes are specifically going to be made to make them look like scary, intimidating peopl, and for that it works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast