Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Somebody
  • 1 Post By michaelman9
  • 3 Post By alekesam

Thread: Exactly Why Walking Dead #103 Sold So Well In October

Administrator

Default Exactly Why Walking Dead #103 Sold So Well In October

Bleeding Cool made note of Walking Dead #103 hitting ninth place in the October sales charts, without having eleven variant covers, but have noticed a few people questioming as to why that issue did so well. Here are the three reasons as far as I can see.

1) The Walking Dead #100 did very well, hitting the number one spot with a lot of celebratory publicity, variant covers and collectability drive. Yes, issue #101 dropped to 31st, but #102 rose to 24th place. It gave an inkling as to what was coming....

2) The third season of The Walking Dead started, and people picked up the comic book again. The Walking Dead comic has taken advantage of public interest in another media version more so that pretty much anything else to date. And #103 came out at just the right time for the new season.

3) And here's the big one. More than anything, this is the reason why #103 smashed into the top ten. Not by having any orders being tied to anything, not by having tiered variant covers, but by the simple fact that it was the start of a new arc. Which means that while #101 and #102 will be collected in a trade paperback any day now, #103 won't be collected in any other form until May 2013. And retailers have cottoned on to the fact that, at any point, someone will want to buy all the Walking Dead comics they can up to date. They can get most of them in trades, but the last few issues will only be in individual single form. And previously this has meant that the first few issues of any arc rapidly go up in price as the demand outstrips the supply. This time, retailers think they have ordered enough copies of #103 to prepare for that demand.

Still probably won't be enough to last till May though.

Wrote the Book on Cool Somebody's Avatar

If true, that would mean sales from this point progress in a sawtooth pattern - slumping noticeably during each arc, then getting a big bump for the issue that starts the next TPB.
    Rootfireember likes this.

Way Cool

I believe it is returnable if we meet a certain threshold. I know 101 & 102 were. We ordered high to see where the sales ceiling is. Please confirm though as i don't have my form on me.
    Rootfireember likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

That's spot on.

Account Closed

It was a pretty awful issue. I can't imagine that anyone will still be seeking this one out in 6 months.

We're treading a thin line between "shocking" and "inane" in the pages of the Walking Dead these days.

The biggest shocker of all is that the show was actually better than the comic in October for the first time.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalClavicles View Post
    It was a pretty awful issue. I can't imagine that anyone will still be seeking this one out in 6 months.
    I don't agree .. it was the continuation of detailing the situation with Negan ..

although I have heard a lot of these type of complaints before .. but WALKING DEAD keeps expanding it's audience and the back issues keep going up in price .. so individual complaints definitely don't reflect the audience at large ..

Account Closed

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelLee View Post
    I don't agree .. it was the continuation of detailing the situation with Negan ..

although I have heard a lot of these type of complaints before .. but WALKING DEAD keeps expanding it's audience and the back issues keep going up in price .. so individual complaints definitely don't reflect the audience at large ..
    Thanks for taking note of my "individual complaint." I am obviously trying to derail the Kirkman train and defraud the great back issues speculators of the world. YOU CAUGHT ME!!!!

Facts:

1.) Negan is a clown
    2.) WD #103 was worse than #100
    3.) Worst issue of the year.

Bleeding Cool

The show picking up again is why this comic was up high. It wont last like Rich said.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalClavicles View Post
    Thanks for taking note of my "individual complaint." I am obviously trying to derail the Kirkman train and defraud the great back issues speculators of the world. YOU CAUGHT ME!!!!

Facts:

1.) Negan is a clown
    2.) WD #103 was worse than #100
    3.) Worst issue of the year.
    Nothing makes me laugh harder than when opinion is given as fact. The hilarity would've been complete had you typed FACT! after every one of those comments as folks who think like this are prone to do.
    "Walking bones!"