Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead #100 Heading To Be Number One Book In July?

Administrator

Default Walking Dead #100 Heading To Be Number One Book In July?

Bleeding Cool has been following the rise and rise of The Walking Dead comic for some time, its continual dominance of the bookstore market, the monthly comic breaking into the the top fifty for the first time two months ago, and into the top thirty for the first time last month.

However, none of that had quite prepared me for what might be happening next month.

I've just read an advance copy of The Walking Dead #99 (I'll be talking about that later) and it's a sensational lead in to July's issue #100. The second you put down the issue, you'll be jonesing for the next.

Now issue one hundred is being launched on the same day as the San Diego Comic Convention, and Charlie Adlard has been drawing at breakneck speed without rest for the last few months to make this deadline.

The book is coming with a number of covers, each drawn by a major league comic book artist, and will be accompanied with huge amounts of promotional activity. San Diego may as well become a Walking Dead Con.

Talking to those both attending the show and not, I'm getting the picture that sales on this comic will be a monster. The five variant covers seems to be being ordered in the same quantites as Walking Dead #99. Each.

Which, if you add it all up, and extrapolate across the industry would mean that Walking Dead #100 could smash to the top of Diamond's charts. There's no doubt it's going to be a top ten book... but how high up can it get? Can it really topple Avengers Vs X-Men and be the best selling monthly comic in North America in July? I think it very may well do so. Considering that only months ago it was selling in the high fifties on the chart, that is an amazing feat.

Oh balls, I want all the covers myself now. It's like X-Men #1 all over again.

The last time Image topped the charts like that was with Spawn #100 back in 2000. The last time a non Marvel/DC book was at the top spot was in 2002, for Dreamwave's Transformers series. It's been a while...

Banned

I read the first 48 issues and decided I didn't care for it at all, but this is awesome. Good for Kirkman, Adlard, and Image. Now hopefully Tony Moore can get some of the cars off the money train.

Zen Master of Cool

Good news for indie comics, now if only it happened more often.

Exceedingly Cool

I have no doubt it will be # 1. When you add all of the variants into the same total. Each book was solicited separately under it's own Diamond code.

Banned

It's wonderful that Robert Kirkman decided NOT to deal with the crooks at Marvel. Kirkman's success is extremely important for the future of comics.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Electrohead View Post
    I have no doubt it will be # 1. When you add all of the variants into the same total. Each book was solicited separately under it's own Diamond code.

My understanding was that each variant had a seperate diamond code and therefore the order for each cover will get its own spot on the comic chron top 100. BUT, I would love to hear the plot for Walking Dead 99. Spill It Bleeding Cool!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SwagSwishBallHard View Post
    I read the first 48 issues and decided I didn't care for it at all, but this is awesome. Good for Kirkman, Adlard, and Image. Now hopefully Tony Moore can get some of the cars off the money train.
    How do you wait 48 issues to decide it is not... ohyoudownloaded.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ManNBlack View Post
    How do you wait 48 issues to decide it is not... ohyoudownloaded.
    Or he could have purchased the compendium.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
    Or he could have purchased the compendium.
    Or he could have read them via his local library, which is how I got to read most of the series.

I found the first trade rather dull, but slowly it caught it's momentum for me after the second trade.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Good for Kirkman and Co but I have a feeling that you wont be give these things away in a few years. Theyll have clogged the shelves

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast