Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob Liefeld Blames Todd McFarlane For Image United Delay

Administrator

Default Rob Liefeld Blames Todd McFarlane For Image United Delay

[caption id="attachment_23359" align="aligncenter" width="371" caption="Image United #3 cover by Dale Keown"][/caption]

Rob Liefeld recently posted on his message board, over the delay on the Image crossover series Image United, Rob Liefeld seemed to confirm that things aren't that well with the series.

When asked if Image United is "dead in the water" he replied "That's about right" later adding "Fans should ask Todd why he wont finish the 3rd issue."

Image United is a major Image Comics project, featuring work from all the Image founders (including Jim Lee, although DC Exclusive, who did a cover) and written by Rob Kirkman. However after a well-performing first and second issues, the third issue has been a long time coming. And it seems it may not yet be complete, although the series has been solicited up to issue 5.

On the Image messageboards, Erik Larsen writes "Updates are--it's being worked on. #3 is particularly complicated due to the sheer number of characters involved. I think once we're over that hurdle things will go a bit smoother. It is getting worked on--it's not as though we've given up on it."

When asked for comment, Image declined. But writer Robert Kirkman has his own take;
    While it is true that Todd is up to his usual tricks this book is far from being "dead in the water." That's just Rob doing some friendly ribbing Todd's way to get him off his baseball loving ass. Here, I'll take a crack at it, too in the hopes that it'll work. "Image United is Spawning into a Image 10th anniversary level debacle. I'm Haunted by this notion, and will be doing whatever I can to Boof the man responsible into Mark McGuiring this thing into a home run balls McFarlane." Although, at this time... I choose not to point any fingers.
    And just to tickle out nuts, Kirkman drops two exclusive preview pages for the third issue. And there's even a Spawn in there too...

VP in Charge of Cool

McFarlane LATE? Who would have thought!?

That Spawn on the preview page looks more like Larsen drew it than McFarlane.

Fitz

Wrote the Book on Cool

It's AMAZING that a book who's purpose was to celebrate everything that is IMAGE, really is celebrating EVERYTHING Image is known for - including long delays and bickering between the partners. The whole "every creator does their own creation" thing really works well in theory, but in reality almost always ends up a mess/. It's not helped by the fact that this thing is being ran essentially with no one at the helm and keeping everyone going the same direction. If a project like "52" could come out on a weekly basis, with a dozen big names working on it, and still produce a good looking series - there's no reason for IMAGE UNITED not to. My guess, is that it will either be downgraded from 5 to 4 issues - or just never be completed.

Wrote the Book on Cool

And, judging from the jpgs we've seen - who needs backgrounds?

Account Closed

I haven't been following the development of this series all that closely, but is there any indication that we could see some cameos by the creations of Image's non-founders? Dale Keown contributing a brief appearance by Pitt? Sam Keith reviving The Maxx for a page or two? Maybe even Stephen Platt re-emerging from obscurity to toss in a Prophet sequence or something?

Exceedingly Cool

There is supposed to be an "interlude" one shot that follows this issue the features Invincible and some other non founder characters. Pitt and Jack Staff are rumored to be in there as well. Who knows when that will be out.

Exceedingly Cool

I'm glad they finally got around to updating us as to what's going on with the issue because, I've gotta be honest, the long wait has completely killed my anticipation for this series. Which sucks, as it was one of the titles I was most looking forward to over the last year. Great to see new pages, though...and that Witchblade panel is just shameless.

Quote Originally Posted by FitzTheRuke View Post
    That Spawn on the preview page looks more like Larsen drew it than McFarlane.
    I'm pretty sure Larsen laid out the issue, so that's probably why. It's a very Larsen-y pose, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by batlash
    My guess, is that it will either be downgraded from 5 to 4 issues
    It's supposed to be 6 issues, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    There is supposed to be an "interlude" one shot that follows this issue the features Invincible and some other non founder characters. Pitt and Jack Staff are rumored to be in there as well. Who knows when that will be out.
    There's more info on that here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=24582 None of the founders are working on the Interlude issue so there's no reason why it couldn't ship in relatively short order after #3 comes out (apparently they're saving the identity of the guest stars for issue #3)

Consultant of Cool

And creators wonder why so many people opt to "Wait for the Trade".

...Does this really surprise anyone? Anyone at all? And the sad part is that we won't be surprised if it's just as much Rob's fault as it is Todd the Clodd, and in the end they'll both blame it on Erik Larsen, who in turn will blame it on Larry Marder leaving. It's all a game of bullshit finger pointing.
    -------

Something being late because of McFarlane. Who would've guessed.

I'm still looking forward to the trade... somewhere in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by batlash View Post
    And, judging from the jpgs we've seen - who needs backgrounds?
    Why would you need background when you can have flashy random colors?

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalClavicles View Post
    I haven't been following the development of this series all that closely, but is there any indication that we could see some cameos by the creations of Image's non-founders? Dale Keown contributing a brief appearance by Pitt? Sam Keith reviving The Maxx for a page or two? Maybe even Stephen Platt re-emerging from obscurity to toss in a Prophet sequence or something?
    Oh, oh, and some "Avengelyne" pencilled by John Stinsman, please!

Quote Originally Posted by jefhamlin View Post
    I'll pick this up right after I get the last issue of 1963.
    And "Hellhole #4" and "Blue" #3.

気持ち悪い

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast