Thread: Offbeat New Trailer For Stoker Tries Out Some Tricksy Editing

Administrator

Default Offbeat New Trailer For Stoker Tries Out Some Tricksy Editing

Empire have debuted a new trailer for Chan Wook Park's Stoker and it has been cut in a rather fashionable mode.

The roots of this current fad for trailer edits like this go back beyond the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to the Coen Bros. A Serious Man, I think, but as this promo shows, it's not an easy approach to pull off.

That's quite comfortably the worst trailer for the film so far, with those misbegotten jump cuts falling flat against the images being hacked up.

Still, the film continues to look absolutely fantastic.

Stoker is released in both the UK and the US on March 1st. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Empire...to the Coen Bros. Simple Man...
    A Serious Man, surely?

(I hate to be that guy correcting honest, minor mistakes on the internet but, honestly I just want more people to see its delightful trailer and people googling the wrong name won't find it.)

(And yes, I am painfully aware that any statement that begins 'I hate to be that guy...' should really be followed with 'so I won't be.' Apologies.)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlsen View Post
    A Serious Man, surely?

(I hate to be that guy correcting honest, minor mistakes on the internet but, honestly I just want more people to see its delightful trailer and people googling the wrong name won't find it.)

(And yes, I am painfully aware that any statement that begins 'I hate to be that guy...' should really be followed with 'so I won't be.' Apologies.)
    Good catch. I've done this a hundred times.

Consultant of Cool

Although "A Single Man" did also have a pretty fantastic trailer

Wrote the Book on Cool ThatNickGuy's Avatar

I hope whoever was responsible for that trailer has been sacked.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    ...it's not an easy approach to pull off.
    Based on those three trailers, I'd suggest it's pretty straightforward to pull off, so long as you have the appropriate footage to work with. Motion being the key element... it needs something to happen between jump cuts (not every time, but a lot of the time), violence is good, but almost any sudden movement will do. Stoker looks to be a very precise, slow-paced, mannered film, which makes it unsuitable for such a trailer (which, ironically, is probably the exact reason it was done -- "How can we punch this thing up to broaden it's appeal?").

Wow, does that ever make me want to not see this film. I would assume that the whole film will be like this, and I would have a seizure watching it.