Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Name Animation Think Tank Gets Warner Bros. Back In The Toon Game

Administrator

Default Big Name Animation Think Tank Gets Warner Bros. Back In The Toon Game

Warner Bros. animation legacy is considerable, from the golden era Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes through to Brad Bird's The Iron Giant. Lately though - and this certainly goes back to Iron Giant, or even further - the studio haven't really managed to make a smash success out of anything.

But animation is king at the box-office - well, when horror isn't, or superheroes, but more than often enough. It's really no surprise that Warner Bros. are going to start taking toons seriously again.

The studio has sent out a press release today, announcing some new cartoon projects and, perhaps more crucially, a think tank of talent toon-minds, collected to shepherd their animated output. We've heard a lot about Pixar's brain trust and so, it seems, have Warner Bros.

On board are John Requa and Glenn Ficarra, of Bad Santa and Crazy Stupid Love; Nick Stoller of The Muppets and Muppets 2; Phil Lord and Chris Miller of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street; and Jared Stern of Bolt, The Watch and Mr. Popper's Penguins.

WB are at pains to point out these guys won't be labouring exclusively on animated films but will continue to work on live action fare too.

According to the press release:
    The mission of the new think tank is to help develop and produce high-end animated motion pictures, with the goal of releasing one feature per year under the Warner Bros. Pictures banner. The select team of accomplished filmmakers will collaborate with the Studio to frame and guide a variety of projects from start to finish.
    2014-16 will be taken care of with Lego, from Lord and Miller and due next February; Storks, directed by Presto's Doug Sweetland and written by Stoller; and Smallfoot, written by Requa and Ficarra from an idea by its director, Sergio Pablos.

There's a couple of new Looney Tunes pictures somewhere in the pipeline too, though they're not mentioned one the press release. We understand that short-term SNL player Jenny Slate was working one one, while another is to be a live action picture about the ACME company, purveyors of not-so-fine roadrunner catching equipment.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Man I miss Animaniacs!
    I've said it in a previous thread and I'll repeat it here. They should start making animated be it drawn or CGI shorts to show before some of WB movies. Sadly most movie execs think that to bring a old favorite back to life they need to do a cgi/real life mixed movie which has always shown to be a bad idea. Me I want a quick new 5 perhaps 10 minute cartoon where I'll laugh my butt off before the main feature which normally would be a new IP.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Man I miss Animaniacs!
    I've said it in a previous thread and I'll repeat it here. They should start making animated be it drawn or CGI shorts to show before some of WB movies. Sadly most movie execs think that to bring a old favorite back to life they need to do a cgi/real life mixed movie which has always shown to be a bad idea. Me I want a quick new 5 perhaps 10 minute cartoon where I'll laugh my butt off before the main feature which normally would be a new IP.
    Pixar seem to be the only ones who still understand the magic of that pre-movie short.

Consultant of Cool

It may be my inner fanboy showing, but if they really want to have a "brain trust" for Warner animation, they really need somebody like Paul Dini. Besides the more...Batmany aspects, the guy's just an animation encyclopedia and general fountain of awesome.

Warner Bros. does do animated shorts before movies. There was a Roadrunner short before that Zach Snyder Owl movie, and a Syslvester/Tweety short before, I don't remember, Happy Feet 2 I think.

Not WB, but there was also a Simpsons short before Ice Age 4, and I believe I read they were going to do more of those as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymattersplat View Post
    It may be my inner fanboy showing, but if they really want to have a "brain trust" for Warner animation, they really need somebody like Paul Dini. Besides the more...Batmany aspects, the guy's just an animation encyclopedia and general fountain of awesome.
    WB brain trust should include Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, Genndy Tartakovsky and Pendleton Ward. All of which have done considerable work for WB's cartoon network. Also, Matt Groening and Brad Bird if you could get them. I believe Paul Dini did work on Tiny Toons, so he knows the WB characters as well as the DC ones.

I'm no animation expert, but these guys mentioned in the article don't sound like they have produced great kids animation or animation that adults like to watch.

Wrote the Book on Cool

That there's a deceptive lede image.

Also, there's going to be a Lego movie? Seriously?

Default Why not LEGO? They made a Battleship movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    That there's a deceptive lede image.

Also, there's going to be a Lego movie? Seriously?
    Lego Batman vs. the League of Lego Vampires

Wrote the Book on Cool MattMoylan's Avatar

Disappointed that this actually has nothing to do with Animaniacs.
    Matt Moylan
    Managing Editor UDON Entertaiment
    Writer Bravoman
    Follow me on Twitter: @Lilformers

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Man I miss Animaniacs!
    Hell, the DC Nation shorts are just the kid of thing you're talking about--you'd think someone would try a pairing of those with WB films as a cheap, quick experiment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast