Thread: Next Year's Oscars May Be In Mid-January, Screwing Up The Studios' Release Schedules

Administrator

Default Next Year's Oscars May Be In Mid-January, Screwing Up The Studios' Release Schedules

The last couple of months of the year are, typically, where the Oscar winners live. The studios park their contenders there, all piled up, ready to be judged and, if things go to plan, paraded up the red carpet to where the little gold man awaits.

If the Academy's rumoured decision to stage the Oscars in January next year goes ahead, then some of this year's big hopefuls might find themselves suddenly on a far tighter schedule.

Consider George Clooney's Memorial Men, a World War 2 caper with Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett and Jean Dujardin. That won't start shooting for a couple of months and getting ready for December was already going to be a squeeze. If nominations need to be completed by mid-November... well, it might not be good for Gorgeous George's heart.

The reason for the schedule shift lies in the desire to televise the Oscars on a Sunday night. All of the Sundays in February, however, belong to sport - variously the Superbowl and the Winter Olympics. Meanwhile, January 19th and 26th are already booked for some NFL business and The Grammy's respectively.

This would mean that the Academy would have to go in the first half of January, or go late.

You'd think they'd just push back to March, right? Well, I have no idea why they wouldn't, but Variety say:
    The prevailing sentiment among insiders is that AMPAS is determined to push its kudofest earlier.
    Crazy. If they have their reasons, I want to hear them.

Consultant of Cool

Its simple. If you move later then the Bluray / DVD etc sales spike for Oscar winning pictures gets shoved back into the spring and out of the 1st quarter revenue. More importantly it means a delay in the release of the big pictures in the last quarter of 2013 onto home video as they all want to wait until the Oscar nominating process is well underway if not the Oscars themselves concluded before they release.

If you hadnt noticed the interval between a movie's theatrical release and when it shows up at your local Redbox is shorter and shorter all the time.

Consultant of Cool

Also this MIGHT reduce the lobbying somewhat, which MIGHT produce a more fair vote. They should also get rid of the "limited openings" eligibilities. Mass market wide release (where applicable) before Jan 1! This would also help the studios have discs ready or close to sale around Oscars time, as Qhue notes.

In 2010 they got pushed to March, why can't they do the same next year?
    MY EBAY COMIC STORE

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing. Nobody in the universe can do what we're doing." -The Doctor

VP in Charge of Cool Tariq Leslie's Avatar

This will likely have a the benefit - if it becomes an ongoing choice - of spreading out the release of films I like, more evenly throughout the year.

I think the person who mentioned the release date to disc release date is partially onto something as well.

I would add that it might likely mean that in the long run the damaged caused to sales and rentals from illegal screeners would be minimized too - with the gap from cinema to DVD being closed.

I actually think the move will ultimately be a good one - if true.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger78 View Post
    In 2010 they got pushed to March, why can't they do the same next year?
    Like I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Crazy. If they have their reasons, I want to hear them.

Wrote the Book on Cool Revolutionary Cyke's Avatar

The reason to push it early to me is simple: too many awards given beforehand, including the Golden Globes, SAG awards, BAFTAs, etc.

And, even worse for the Oscars, too many awards that either go out of their way to predict the winners and position themselves as "the one that predicts the Oscars", specially the Globes and some critic awards, or just have a natural coincidence due to sharing many voters, in the cases of the Guilds and BAFTAs.

As a result, in 99,9% of the cases, everyone knows the films that will win beforehand and most of the actors as well (although this year looks like it will be an exception).

Of course, sometimes the result is more open, and then the idiots at the Academy go out of their way to make them seem obvious- like in 2007, when they announced Jack Nicholson, star of The Departed, as the guy that will deliver the BP Oscar, and Spielberg, Lucas and Coppola as the presenters of best Director.
    Last edited by Revolutionary Cyke; 01-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    To be or not to be. That's not really a question.
    Jean-Luc Godard