Thread: Knightmare - 25th Anniversary Retrospective Video

Administrator

Default Knightmare - 25th Anniversary Retrospective Video

This weekend, CITV have been celebrating their 30th anniversary by repeating a series of classic and well loved programs from their archives. Judging from the Twitter response, one of the most popular is proving to be the fantasy game show, Knightmare.

This was the show in which a kid put a vision-obscuring plastic helmet on their head and wandered around in a bluescreen world interacting with madly improvising actors in fantasy costumes. All the while, their friends watched the journey unfold on a TV screen and tried to offer guidance.

Here's a fan-made 25th anniversary documentary featuring lots of interviews with the show's actors and contestants. The first few minutes are just people expressing surprise that the show is so old, but once they've all come to terms with the cruel passage of time, things pick up after a little bit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9komiRNVw#![/youtube]

Thanks toJon Melville for the video link. Previously, a Knightmare parody and classic screw-up.

Wrote the Book on Cool JSayonara's Avatar

This was must see T.V when I was a kid along with Gamesmaster.

Two shows they really should find a way of bringing back for the new generations.

Although truthfully, I doubt I'd watch Knightmare these days beyond an episode to see how they updated it.

Consultant of Cool

Revival can't be too far away, surely.
    "Be nostalgic for now."

Co-creator of the Ogle Award-winning SF-Fantasy audio series, The Springheel Saga.
    www.facebook.com/TheSpringheelSaga

Consultant of Cool Martin Smith's Avatar

If they brought it back, they'd have to get around the whole 'sidestep left', 'shuffle forward' nonsense, to speed it up. That'd require the player(s) in the environment to be able to see properly, which they could probably achieve with some suitably hightech AR glasses/goggles.
    Hey you! You should read The Cynic's Survival Guide To Disney Animated Classics on my blog (updated every Friday!). I would, if I was in your position.

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine