• 1 Post By vmars
  • 2 Post By The Xenos
  • 1 Post By Thorhammer Ironbastard
  • 1 Post By Peter J Poole
  • 1 Post By Timberoo

Thread: Swipe File: Macbeth And Star Trek Into Darkness

Administrator

Default Swipe File: Macbeth And Star Trek Into Darkness

Similar taste in coats, same destruction-making-motif idea, same buildings-in-the-backgrounds arrangement. But at least McAvoy has the brass to face us.

The poster for Macbeth landed in my inbox today, as tickets went on sale. I'm pretty sure I'll be going to this.

The Scottish play will keep McAvoy busy from 9th February to 27th April, which probably means something for the Days of Future Past schedule but I can't really guess what.

Here's the full Macbeth PR and then our usual Swipe File explanation for the back of the class after that.
    BAFTA winning and Golden Globe nominated actor James McAvoy (The Last King of Scotland, Atonement, X-Men) will star in Shakespeare?s Macbeth, Jamie Lloyd?s (Donmar?s Passion, Broadway?s Cyrano de Bergerac, the Old Vic's The Duchess of Malfi, Royal Court?s The Pride) inaugural production in a season of work for Trafalgar Transformed. Macbeth will be staged at Trafalgar Studios from 9 February until 27 April, with press night on 19 February 2013. Design for Jamie Lloyd?s season is by Soutra Gilmour, who won the 2012 Evening Standard Award for Best Design for Inadmissible Evidence at the Donmar Warehouse, directed by Lloyd, and Antigone at the National Theatre. Further casting will be announced shortly.

Jamie Lloyd?s production will see Shakespeare?s darkest tale play out in a dystopian Scotland brutalised by war. Under a toxic fog, Macbeth begins his tormented struggle for power fuelled by ambition and paranoia.

All tickets will be ?15 on Mondays. Half of these will be made available through a special outreach scheme led by Ambassador Theatre Group Creative Learning Department, targeted towards schools and first-time theatregoers. The other half will be released monthly to the public on the first day of each month, starting on 1 February 2013, and will be available online or at Trafalgar Studios box office. Additionally, day seats will be available at ?10 for all performances, Tuesday through Saturday.

Director, Jamie Lloyd said "I am thrilled to announce the first production for Trafalgar Transformed - a season of politically-charged power plays on the doorstep of Whitehall, accompanied by a festival of platform events, discussions and readings. We hope to welcome new and diverse audiences to the West End and I am very excited to engage with schools and other groups via a series of bespoke workshops and masterclasses.?

Howard Panter, ATG?s Joint CEO and Creative Director said ?we are delighted that, as part of our partnership with Jamie Lloyd Productions, ATG is to welcome James McAvoy in the role of Macbeth. As the first production in Jamie Lloyd?s season of work for Trafalgar Transformed, we are thrilled that this bold production of the Scottish play will blast the roof off Trafalgar Studios, bringing an electric energy to this theatre. It?s a great pleasure to be starting on this exciting journey with Jamie Lloyd, a truly talented director.?
    In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself? If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn?t judge, it?s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artistcollect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran this column, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.
    Rootfireember likes this.

Consultant of Cool

I really want to find a way to get that production of Macbeth. Great play, great actor.

another remake? doesn't Hollywood have any good ideas anymore?
    Rootfireember and Bangladesh like this.
    "However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum." - ThanosCopter

http://timberoo.deviantart.com/

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Timberoo View Post
    If you had read the poster you would notice that it's a Broadway production...

USS Denmark? Really? Tou are confusing Macbeth for Hamelt? You even call it The Scottish play. I guess the curse strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmars View Post
    or.. ya know.. actually in London not New York.

Consultant of Cool

...and if YOU had you'd notice it's London's West End, not Broadway.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    USS Denmark? Really? Tou are confusing Macbeth for Hamelt? You even call it The Scottish play. I guess the curse strikes again.
    or.. ya know.. actually in London not New York.

You beat me to it. So close!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberoo View Post
    And Shakespeare, again!!

Sheesh.. it's not like there's anything new to be found in that old crap...

Cheers
    Timberoo likes this.
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    And Shakespeare, again!!

Sheesh.. it's not like there's anything new to be found in that old crap...

Cheers
    seriously!

all those 'thee's and 'thou's and trying to find a good spot remover...

make some new plays, dammit
    Peter J Poole likes this.
    "However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum." - ThanosCopter

http://timberoo.deviantart.com/

LOL. I love the irony of that response, given that... well... it's NOT a Broadway production.