Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Some Official Info On The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special, At Last

Administrator

Default Some Official Info On The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special, At Last

The first official notification of how much anniversary flavoured Doctor Who we'll be getting was on display today. It was printed on display cards at the London Toy Fair.

Here's a photo of one such card that we were sent by three different Little Bleeders. Its original provenance is unclear but do let us know if you're the one who originally took it.

So, there it is in... er.... blue and white, with some orange too. There's one anniversary special and it's 60 minutes long.

The Mark Gatiss-penned drama about the creation of the show is going to run to 90 minutes, but the actual Doctor Who episode itself, just 60.

Quite what Doctor Who Revisited will be isn't yet clear. It might be the same thing as, or at least a cut-down version of, BBC American's talking head specials The Doctors Revisited - there's an obvious similarity in their names.

Steven Moffat has said that his show would "take over television" for the anniversary. That's starting to look like something of an exaggeration.

UPDATE: BlogtorWho have laid claim to the picture. They're pretty good at posting things and then deleting them, it seems...
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

Bloody Hell....lookin like the comics gonna be a better 50th (and the audio adventure).....Finishing up an old Doc book myself, Interferance 1 and 2, odd adventure but quite good.
    Now if the 50th can address the passing of Sarah Jane Smith and 'something' to do with Captain Jack/Torchwood or even where K9 has ended up now that Sarah is gone it'd be nice....

Wrote the Book on Cool I_Captain Blanco's Avatar

Right, so "taking over television" basically means ten episodes in the calendar year (remaining eight episodes of Season Seven, plus the Anniversary Special and a Christmas Special if there is one), four fewer episodes than any "normal" season we've had thus far. No Season Eight nor any promise of one, no spinoff shows or Confidential, and some mysterious internet BS.

On the other hand, away from television we're getting a multi-Doctor special from Big Finish (with Tom Baker this time!), audiobooks featuring all eleven Doctors from AudioGo, a comic book series from IDW featuring all eleven Doctors...and that's not including the usual from Panini, IDW, and Big Finish.

This Anniversary is looking more and more of a let-down all the time. What's next, Chibnall announced as new show-runner?

Very Cool

Quote Originally Posted by I_Captain Blanco View Post
    Right, so "taking over television" basically means ten episodes in the calendar year (remaining eight episodes of Season Seven, plus the Anniversary Special and a Christmas Special if there is one), four fewer episodes than any "normal" season we've had thus far. No Season Eight nor any promise of one, no spinoff shows or Confidential, and some mysterious internet BS.
    It's more than we got for the 30th or 40th anniversary, of course. And if the eight episodes of Season 7 are as enjoyable as the five we've already seen, I'm perfectly satisfied.

As for the 60 minute special, I wouldn't put too much weight on a BBC merchandising promotional brochure as they very likely have no real idea of what form the special will take. Until a cast and storyline get officially announced I'm holding judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Captain Blanco View Post
    On the other hand, away from television we're getting a multi-Doctor special from Big Finish (with Tom Baker this time!), audiobooks featuring all eleven Doctors from AudioGo, a comic book series from IDW featuring all eleven Doctors...and that's not including the usual from Panini, IDW, and Big Finish.

This Anniversary is looking more and more of a let-down all the time. What's next, Chibnall announced as new show-runner?
    So, to recap, you're getting 10 episodes of Doctor Who, a multi-Doctor audio special, a special range of audiobooks, a series of novellas by famous authors, a 12-part comic series, a TV movie about the creation of the show, 11 documentary specials, 12 issues of a monthly magazine, 12 issues of a monthly comic book and about 25 audio dramas from Big Finish. And it's a letdown? Other shows would dream of that much coverage.

And Chris Chibnall would indeed be the most likely person to be offered show-runner duties after Moffat leaves. He's got a very extensive range of production credits, and he always works closely to brief he's given.
    WarrGrinn likes this.

Bleeding Cool

Brendon, I just posted this in your other thread, like, an hour ago: http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/f...tml#post491076 Why the need for an entirely new thread?

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pop-Tart Samson View Post
    If that Gatiss documentary gets more time than the actual 50th anniversary special, I will not be pleased at all. At. All.
    Still true........

Bleeding Cool

And there's an email address at the bottom of that pic. We should all write in and ask "Max" the scoop...

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Watson View Post
    And Chris Chibnall would indeed be the most likely person to be offered show-runner duties after Moffat leaves. He's got a very extensive range of production credits, and he always works closely to brief he's given.
    I would bet money on it being Toby Withouse, personally. He's been responsible for a hugely popular show for the BBC, whereas Chibnall managed to semi-showrun Torchwood through two series of mediocrity. Matthew Graham might also have an outside chance, but I think Withouse is by far the most likely candidate.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Watson View Post
    So, to recap, you're getting 10 episodes of Doctor Who, a multi-Doctor audio special, a special range of audiobooks, a series of novellas by famous authors, a 12-part comic series, a TV movie about the creation of the show, 11 documentary specials, 12 issues of a monthly magazine, 12 issues of a monthly comic book and about 25 audio dramas from Big Finish. And it's a letdown? Other shows would dream of that much coverage.
    No other show has hit 50 years, though. This should set the bar, not stretch to barely meet it.

I'm hoping it's like Brendon said, and they don't know how long the actual 50th special will be, the 60 minutes a placeholder for the sign. But, I have a feeling it's simply the BBC doesn't want to spend the money on an extravaganza. So, why spend their money when they can have their licensed partners do it for them? That way, they don't have to spend the dough, and can turn around and point at all the apocrypha coming out saying "Look at all the 50th we're giving you!"

But, I don't buy the comics, listen to the audios, or read the novels. Doctor Who is a tv show and that's the only part of it that actually matters. That's the part I will judge it on. Not how many spin-off novelties they can try to distract with.

Mark Gatiss.

Wrote the Book on Cool littlemaths's Avatar

Withouse or Gatiss would be terrific.

Neil Cross, though. Man, that would be something else.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast