Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now Really Is The Time To Buy The Single Best Ever Series Of Doctor Who

Administrator

Default Now Really Is The Time To Buy The Single Best Ever Series Of Doctor Who

I've just snapped up a region free Blu-ray copy of Doctor Who's 2010 series, the first run of Matt Smith episodes, for the incredibly low price of $19.99, down from $89.99.

I love this particular series of the show. It was when Steven Moffat became the showrunner andMatt Smith made his debut appearance and we were blessed with The Eleventh Hour, still my favourite episode of the entire 49-and-a-bit years.

Indeed, the rest of this series was, on balance, the best time I have ever had with Who, culminating in the astonishingly zippy, surprising and smart two part climax, The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang.

But perhaps the best thing about this series is how well it works as a box-set experience. Last winter, I borrowed some DVDs of this run and gobbled them up in two days and enjoyed every minute all the more for those minutes being squished up close where they could interact with and resonate off of each other.

The final episode, The Big Bang, does a fine job of pulling all of the previous episodes together and giving them each a pay off - okay, with the exception of Amy's Choice, but that's brilliant on its own terms anyway. Moffat said he wanted to write one story that was a direct sequel to all of the previous stories, and that's very nearly what he managed. It certainly makes for a beautifully cogent overall arc to the series, far smoother and more satisfying than anything he's managed in subsequent years.

The Blu-ray set also has almost three hours of Doctor Who Confidential behind-the-scenes material, six in-picture video commentary tracks, two superb little minisodes, some outtakes, some video diaries and some sort of profile of the monsters. I can't wait for mine to arrive so I can binge on all of the episodes again, then get stuck into this stuff.

Personally I've found the 2 & 1/2 seasons of 'Moffat/Smith Who' to be far superior to the last few years of 'Davies/Tennant Who', which got more than a little self-indulgent way too often.

Of course, Karen Gillan probably hasn't hurt there either...

Zen Master of Cool Death's Head's Avatar

Yeah, I loved this series too. I love everything Moffat and Smith have done. I'm such a fanboy.
    SMITH
    Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - a comic strip so controversial you'll crap Shreddies.

Bleeding Cool

Oh yeah! Matt Smith. The best thing to happen to that character since Tom Baker, himself. The second-coming of Pat Troughton. Love, love, LOVE him!
    Traveling.

Bleeding Cool

And if people don't know what we're talking about, this about sums him up:

Traveling.

Exceedingly Cool

Thanks for this! Been wanting to get it cheap and that is incredibly cheap!!! One of the best seasons yet, love Matt Smith!

Dean of Cool University

Is this a good place to jump into the series? I was crazy for Baker's Doctor but the little I've seen of the new stuff hasn't grabbed me. I've seen nothing with Smith in it though and in interviews he seems funny. I have to say from what I've heard I hate the idea of the sonic screwdriver becoming a MacGyver type "I can do anything" tool. Is the over usage of the tool as bad as I've heard (the sonic screwdriver not Smith).

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    Is this a good place to jump into the series? I was crazy for Baker's Doctor but the little I've seen of the new stuff hasn't grabbed me. I've seen nothing with Smith in it though and in interviews he seems funny. I have to say from what I've heard I hate the idea of the sonic screwdriver becoming a MacGyver type "I can do anything" tool. Is the over usage of the tool as bad as I've heard (the sonic screwdriver not Smith).
    Start with Smith's first season, 2010 ("Season Five" on Netflix). Honestly, Smith uses the Sonic more like a tricorder/scanning tool than anything. It was Tennant under RTD's run that made the screwdriver, basically, an "Omni-Tool". I think we're supposed to assume the design got upgraded (like some of the TARDIS systems) by the Time Lords during the Final Time War. Like Tom Baker, Smith's Doctor uses his brilliance and disarming personality to get through his situations. He's the infant/ancient Doctor at over 1000 years old. A wonder to behold.

Here's some flavor...

Last edited by Pop-Tart Samson; 11-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Traveling.

Bleeding Cool

And if you're a fan of the classic series, THIS is badass:

Traveling.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Matt Smith is brilliant, but the Moffat-led seasons have been quite disappointing so far.

It's looking like series 7 may be a bit better.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast