Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Benes On Leaving Batgirl, And Comics For A Bit

Administrator

Default Ed Benes On Leaving Batgirl, And Comics For A Bit

We knew that Gail Simone was coming back to Batgirl. But what about her artist Ed Benes? He was absent from DC's April solicitations.

A few days ago he posted on Facebook;
    Oi pessoal, hoje eu estou usando esse espaço para, para avisar que estou me afastando dos quadrinhos por um tempo, talvez um ano ou dois eu não sei, o fato é que isso ja era algo que eu queria fazer desde a epoca da JLA, eu estou avisando aqui porque quase todos os meus contatos estão aqui, e é claro que o plano de formar uma equipe para trabalhar comigo vai ter que esperar, sinto muito quanto a isso, mas estou vivendo sobre pressão por muito tempo esta na hora de descansar um pouco, isso não significa que eu vou parar de desenhar, até porque isso é o que eu sei fazer.
    Rough translation...
    Hi guys, today I am using this space for, to warn you that I'm away from comics for a while, maybe a year or two I do not know, the fact is that this was something I've wanted to do since the time of the JLA, I'm warning you here because almost all my contacts are here, and it's clear that the plan to form a team to work with me will have to wait, I'm sorry about that, but I've been living under pressure for a long time and I need time to rest a bit. This does not mean that I will stop drawing because that's what I know how to do.
    A few days later, Ed clarified his remarks, somewhat.
    Oi pessoal alguns estão confundindo as coisas, nem eu nem o studio vai parar, nós vamos continuar agenciando e trabalhando com os atuais e novos artistas, nada mudou, eu é que vou dar um tempo em titulos regulares, e isso diz respeito apenas a mim, nada a ver com o studio ou agenciamento, pelo contrario eu vou ter mais tempo para orientar, e eu não estou indo embora nem desistindo da minha carreira, e nem vou parar de desenhar eu apenas quero fazer o que eu quiser sem pressão, por favor não repassem informações erradas, quando falei em equipe que ia trabalhar comigo eu me referia ao artfinalista e um colorista que dividiriam um titulo comigo, espero ter esclarecido.
    Rough translation again...
    Hi guy, some people are confusing things. Neither I nor my studio will stop work, we'll continue caring and working with existing and new artists, nothing has changed, I'll take a break from working on regular titles. This concerns only me and my workload, it is nothing to do with my studio or the agency. The opposite is true,?* I'll have more time to guide others.?* I'm not going away or giving up my career, and I will not stop drawing, I just want to do whatever I want without pressure. Please don't pass along incorrect information, when I spoke about the team that was going to work with me, I was referring to artfinalista and a colorist who share a title with me, I hope I have clarified that.
    He then posted the above image. You know what they say about change being as good as a rest?

Banned

Can't wait to see folks twist a conspiracy theory out of this....

Best wishes to Ed though... He is a phenomenal artist, & I will miss him on BG. Can't wait for his return.
    Last edited by SAMURAI36; 01-22-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Rogue, Shanna, Zabu and Storm on a DC Template?

FUNNY!

Everyone needs a break now and then, especially those who are otherwise prolific in their work. Even though Benes usually goes from project to project, I can't remember a period in which he wasn't working on something for an extended period of time.
    BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by Starocotes View Post
    Rogue, Shanna, Zabu and Storm on a DC Template?

FUNNY!
    And so very good too.
    The Comics Ticker- my new comics blog

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/mattspatola/venger-web-sig22222.jpg

Follow me on: Twitter l Facebook l Email me l The Venger Blog

That sucks, who's replacing him?

Wrote the Book on Cool DarkKnightJared's Avatar

Man, I was hoping the two would get back together once Gail's back on the book, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybeland View Post
    That sucks, who's replacing him?
    From what the solicts are saying, probably Daniel Sampere, who's been filling in for Benes during the Death of the Family arc.

VP in Charge of Cool Tariq Leslie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Can't wait to see folks twist a conspiracy theory out of this....

Best wishes to Ed though... He is a phenomenal artist, & I will miss him on BG. Can't wait for his return.
    I'll start then - and the key to seeing the truth behind the subterfuge in this news is to first invert Benes's PORTUGUESE postings THEN translate them.

Doing this paints quite a different story:

"Help me. Dan Didio has me trapped in a large rattan basket and only takes me out once a day - and even then never long enough to work the cramps out of my legs. I'm living on stale bread and water. The man is a tyrant. Tell my family I love them."

The second one is even more disturbing...

"Please understand if you read this that I am barely alive now. He [I assume Didio is the 'he' here] has almost worked me to death. I have now done three years worth of art for the entire DC line, which DC editors will eventually create a story around someday. Now that I have done this, I fear my usefulness to Didio is at an end. I'm exhausted but he says very matter of fact that if I don't have years 4 and 5 completed in 2 months time he'll burn all my Staedtler Pencils, smash my inkwell, kill me, then go after Gail Simone. He says 'if you don't care about what happens to you anymore, Ed - maybe you'll care about what happens to Gail. I met a nice artist at Emerald City Comic Con last year, that apes your style very nicely, and a young writer that had taken a 'Save The Cat Seminar' I'm sure they'll learn to tow the line".

I send you this rendering with a hidden message to my family. I think I see my forefather's waiting for me. Tell Gail to trust no one!"
    Last edited by Tariq Leslie; 01-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Wrote the Book on Cool evilwilma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq Leslie View Post
    I'll start then - and the key to seeing the truth behind the subterfuge in this news is to first invert Benes's Spanish postings THEN translate them.

Doing this paints quite a different story:

"Help me. Dan Didio has me trapped in a large rattan basket and only takes me out once a day - and even then never long enough to work the cramps out of my legs. I'm living on stale bread and water. The man is a tyrant. Tell my family I love them."

The second one is even more disturbing...

"Please understand if you read this that I am barely alive now. He [I assume Didio is the 'he' here] has almost worked me to death. I have now done three years worth of art for the entire DC line, which DC editors will eventually create a story around someday. Now that I have done this, I fear my usefulness to Didio is at an end. I'm exhausted but he says very matter of fact that if I don't have years 4 and 5 completed in 2 months time he'll burn all my Staedtler Pencils, smash my inkwell, kill me, then go after Gail Simone. He says 'if you don't care about what happens to you anymore, Ed - maybe you'll care about what happens to Gail. I met a nice artist at Emerald City Comic Con last year, that apes your style very nicely, and a young writer that had taken a 'Save The Cat Seminar' I'm sure they'll learn to tow the line".

I send you this rendering with a hidden message to my family. I think I see my forefather's waiting for me. Tell Gail to trust no one!"
    Masterful! Except...aren't those posts in Portuguese?

Wrote the Book on Cool

No offense meant to the man, but good riddance.

I'd like to see them get Emanuela Lupacchino.

And before anyone says it -- no, not because she's a woman. Because she's really very good.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Emma Rios on this, or any, book.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast