Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Brett Booth On Nightwing And More DC April Holy Sh!t Gatefold Covers

Administrator

Default Brett Booth On Nightwing And More DC April Holy Sh!t Gatefold Covers

Firstly, yes, that does look like Brett Booth is on Nightwing. Respectfully, etc... though of course he is also drawing the covers to Earth 2 and Vibe. but still.

Secondly, expect a lot those?* creative changes we were talking about to be announced at DC today for April.

Thirdly, I have confirmed that, yes, in April, DC are publishing gatefold covers for their New 52 books. And that all these are the first half of said cover.

Fourthly, yes so that means Nightwing is probably fighting The Creeper on the cover of Nightwing #18.

Fifthly, here a few more of those April covers.

Seventhly, I understand that in a number of cases, the relationship between cover and contents was rather Julie Schwartz/Silver Age in that the covers came first and then the creative teams were asked to step up and write the comic to go with that.

Eighthly, what happened to sixthly?

And ninthly, while no publisher is going to call their month "Holy Shit", even if each gatefold is expected to reveal a surprise, as they have been internally, I get the idea that they may call them "Holy Smoke" covers instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Seventhly, I understand that in a number of cases, the relationship between cover and contents was rather Julie Schwartz/Silver Age in that the covers came first and then the creative teams were asked to step up and write the comic to go with that.
    Heh, well that slightly contradicts that I have just posted elsewhere, but at least now we have some facts.

And hey, the good old days posse should approve of the approach
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toodoor View Post
    Heh, well that slightly contradicts that I have just posted elsewhere, but at least now we have some facts.

And hey, the good old days posse should approve of the approach
    I approve.

I mean, if it's good, who cares where it came from? I would like to know which books went that route, though. It would be fun to see how the different writers handled it.

If they're gatefolds, surely we're seeing only a third, rather than half of the complete image?
    Visit http://dangermart.blogspot.com/ for comic reviews

A really creative writer could take that cover-first approach and run wild with it. It'd be a fun one time deal to be sure. Lesser writers couldn't make it work. The Lobdells and Mackies of the comics world have enough problems putting intelligent ideas down on paper.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason ― Mark Twain

If Booth is on Nightwing, I'll be bummed. I really don't like his style and will definitely drop the book, despite really liking Kyle Higgins. He made me care about solo series I had never followed before but DC cut him short on Deathstroke and there are too many attractive books for me to buy a Booth title.

And hopefully the stories aren't too forced to comply with a "Holy Sh!t!" moment, but I imagine the titles I tend to follow will be able to take it in step anyway. That sort of editorial method shouldn't surprise anyone following BC's internal DC reports.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I've noticed that most of the ground surfaces in these covers seem to be "burnt" or destroyed in some manner, and I am wondering if all these covers will be put together to form one big image?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen B. View Post
    If Booth is on Nightwing, I'll be bummed. I really don't like his style and will definitely drop the book, despite really liking Kyle Higgins. He made me care about solo series I had never followed before but DC cut him short on Deathstroke and there are too many attractive books for me to buy a Booth title.

And hopefully the stories aren't too forced to comply with a "Holy Sh!t!" moment, but I imagine the titles I tend to follow will be able to take it in step anyway. That sort of editorial method shouldn't surprise anyone following BC's internal DC reports.
    Is it any different than Marvel's "Silent Month," which came out right in the middle of the suppose creative freedom of the Bill Jemas era?

For that matter, is it any different than having to tie-in to The Initiative or Dark Reign or whatever for years on end?

Ok little mad they had to make a story to fit the stupid gimmick cover, but I expect the writers I follow to have the talent to step up with ease.

Who's drawing Titans?

Also unless the cover has Bob Marley and the Pope lighting it up its not Holy Smoke.

Wrote the Book on Cool CBattles6's Avatar

Holy Smoke! would make sense. DC did a feature last week with 24 "Holy Smoke!" moments from 2012.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast