Page 33 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    How's about, said "audience" clearly was "too dumb to notice and/or care" to actually spend the money on the character that the make such a fuss over? That's the point that continues to get skipped over here. The book got cancelled, it's your (the so-called fans) own freakin' fault. If you supported it, then it was still be here, and in the form that you want it in (i.e. the drinking, cussing JC that you all claim to want to see).

It's crazy; people want to shake their fists at the establishment, and pitch a fit when they do something they don't like, but that same level of passion isn't applied when they are doing something right by them.

Such babies...

<snip>

Because what people claim to do with their money, affects the industry. Many of these same people that are up in arms, more than likely didn't invest in the book. So now it's gone. See how that works? We all suffer from the acts of a few idiots.
    A) I think people would be bitching less if the book had just been cancelled.
    B) You're discounting trade sales. Though at least I guess rebranding him as Constantine will save little Timmy from having his head explode when he reads JLD and asks mum to buy him Hellblazer...
    C) Good to see your respect for the customer base continues apace

And what any industry does with its product line affects how people spend their money. It's a two way street.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by not him - HIM View Post
    Not the point I was making at all. Your original point seemed to be (forgive me if I'm wrong) that it didn't matter as a book because it wasn't selling. I was saying that it does matter to people who read it. I accept it wasn't selling well and accept it has to be cancelled as a result, but I don't expect everyone who read and enjoyed Hellblazer to be over the moon about a new Constantine book set in the DCU and why should I expect them to be?
    Speaking only for myself, this is a perfectly reasonable reaction. Obviously people who were enjoying it won't be happy that it was canceled and may not be happy with the new version. To me, the only problem here is the people doing the "I can"t believe" or "another terrible move by DC" or, possibly worst of all, "you're not a real fan if you're not as outraged as I am." Being upset is natural. Having a tantrum is not. They're not the same thing.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    How is cancelling a book selling as much as every other book they've cancelled such a bad move, when it will translate to more sales and greater exposure for the character? Seems like a win-win to me.
    You're putting an awful lot of implicit trust in the company to deliver a creatively fulfilling revamp that will both please the passionate long-time 'Hellblazer' fans AND appeal to an infinitely larger number of potential mainstream readers.

They canceled 'Thunderbolts' back in the day to revamp it as 'Fight Club Thunderbolts' -- it was a publishing disaster even when though Marvel was hoping it would translate into "more sales and greater exposure."

Revamping Constantine for the New 52 does not guarantee that it will be a great new direction for the character (and its fanbase). For every 'Animal Man' 'Swamp Thing' and 'Dial H' that treated the long history of the stories and writers with respect, there's a 'Grifter,' 'Hawkman' and 'Hawk and Dove.'

If going by the largely ambivalent reactions to Constantine in JL Dark -- which has already had shuffling creative teams in less than a year's time, the fanbase is not looking forward to that interpretation being the only ongoing interpretation

Quote Originally Posted by Hi_HorseLarnick View Post
    You're putting an awful lot of implicit trust in the company to deliver a creatively fulfilling revamp that will both please the passionate long-time 'Hellblazer' fans AND appeal to an infinitely larger number of potential mainstream readers.

They canceled 'Thunderbolts' back in the day to revamp it as 'Fight Club Thunderbolts' -- it was a publishing disaster even when though Marvel was hoping it would translate into "more sales and greater exposure."

Revamping Constantine for the New 52 does not guarantee that it will be a great new direction for the character (and its fanbase). For every 'Animal Man' 'Swamp Thing' and 'Dial H' that treated the long history of the stories and writers with respect, there's a 'Grifter,' 'Hawkman' and 'Hawk and Dove.'

If going by the largely ambivalent reactions to Constantine in JL Dark -- which has already had shuffling creative teams in less than a year's time, the fanbase is not looking forward to that interpretation being the only ongoing interpretation
    it doesn't matter if it pleases the fans of Hellblazer. It just has to sell more than it did. Whether or not it's creatively fulfilling is not the issue we're discussing. We're discussing if it's a horrible move or not. And if it doubles or triples sales, it's not.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rpmdkc View Post
    To be most successful, Hellblazer had to change creative teams every 18-24 issues to draw in new readers/create jumping on points. The current team will have been there for 50. Four years! Too long. That has to be the longest run of the whole 300. That's why you haven't heard any news about this book. There hasn't been any.

Just look at all the creators who wanted to work on the book. Getting Kieron Gillin or China Mieville would have bumped sales.

I'd bet DC wanted to do this from the start of the new 52' but Berger pleaded to let it get to 300, and won. She just couldn't beat the devil this time. Sad day.
    I had to read 10 pages to see some sense in this discussion... if Dc wanted they would call some good creators and make shorter runs of Hellblazer. It just makes clear that they wanted to cancel it all along.

So Constantine smokes in the new 52... nice... and a trenchcoat... and even the same name!!! So if you imagine an english accent and the constant use of the word "fuck" you can almost feel like you are reading a real Constantine story.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rpmdkc View Post
    To be most successful, Hellblazer had to change creative teams every 18-24 issues to draw in new readers/create jumping on points. The current team will have been there for 50. Four years! Too long. That has to be the longest run of the whole 300. That's why you haven't heard any news about this book. There hasn't been any.
    Ennis and Delano had 45-ish issues, so while Milligan's run has been the longest, it's not by that much.

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

So... if people don't do with their money what you see as the 'right thing', that is, 'support the industry', they are idiots.

Honestly, the 'industry' is not my concern - the 'industry' is the concern of the "blue-suited penguins" at Warner and Disney.
    My concern are good stories with a decent level of quality.

If the industry must fall for something better arise - so be it.

Captain Cool

I'm a superhero fan, but I do think DC and Marvel going down would be the only way for the industry to evolve into a more genre-diverse, perfectly competitive market.

Not even doing any boycott, but I think that's true.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post

The fact that you are already asking if the book will be shitty, proves my point. You're looking for it to be bad, instead of adopting a wait & see perspective, as well as keeping an open mind.

JLD is doing well. Let's look at that, shall we? It can't be because of the entire cast. Some of them I've never even heard of before. Black Orchid? Nah. Dr. Mist, who? So it boils down to the old Vertigo cast: JC, Deadman, Xanadu. Perhaps Zatanna.

DM and X haven't really done much. So that leaves JC and Zatanna. The book is selling well basically because of JC. Of course, that's writing and art aside.

I don't even care about JC that much, and I'm loving this book.

Because what people claim to do with their money, affects the industry. Many of these same people that are up in arms, more than likely didn't invest in the book. So now it's gone. See how that works? We all suffer from the acts of a few idiots.
    Dude. Check your reading comprehension skills at the door? Nothing I said- nothing -suggests that I'm looking for it to be bad. Actually, if you look at both of my posts you're responding to and fully read them instead of deciding in advance that you know what I'm saying... I think you'll find I'm saying quite the opposite. I'm sorry you've got a bug up your ass because somebody else said something, but this is twice now that you've made comments on my posts in this thread that show you're actually either not capable or not trying to have a discussion, because both times you've made inferences that aren't there to be made. Both times you're arguing that I said something that I said the exact opposite of.

Since sitting up on your giant high horse caused you to miss it the first time, here it is again: You made the ridiculous point that more exposure for a character is better, despite that time and time again the comics industry has proven that to be not necessarily true. You made this point to argue with my initial point that Constantine as a character could support the exposure of being in a Vertigo book and the New 52... since you were arguing a point I had literally just made, you already painted yourself as not paying attention. But in the above post, where I do say that no, not all exposure is intrinsically good, and give the hypothetical that Constantine by Venditti could suck (could, I never said will) that seems to be the only part of my post you read, and you cast me immediately as somebody who is shooting something down sight unseen. That's actually not something I'm doing, or have ever done.

Before you decide to throw somebody in the gutter just for having a different point of view, actually read the point of view expressed. Both of my posts make it clear that I think there's room for Constantine in the new 52. My initial post made it clear that I didn't think using him in both necessarily waters him down, and I believe I mentioned how much I'm enjoying Justice League Dark. So, really. Calm down. For a guy raging at fanboys having conniptions over the lost of their character, you're jumping the gun a lot.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    it doesn't matter if it pleases the fans of Hellblazer. It just has to sell more than it did. Whether or not it's creatively fulfilling is not the issue we're discussing. We're discussing if it's a horrible move or not. And if it doubles or triples sales, it's not.
    Again, you're putting a lot of faith in this idea that there's all these readers out there, that are suddenly going to start buying 'Constantine' now that it's free from some kind of "Vertigo" shackle.
    Additionally, you're also presuming that this untested fanbase is going to be large enough to support the book and counter-act the spite of long-time 'Hellblazer' fans who are boycotting this new development.