Page 28 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Cancels Its Longest Running Series, Hellblazer, And Replaces It With New 52 Title, Constantine

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    It's fine to feel that way. But a better example, is to say that you will never drive another car again, because the car you loved broke down. That's essentially what some people are saying here, and it sounds bat-shit ridiculous.
    No, it's more like refusing to buy a Toyota ever again because your last three Toyotas broke down on you. For some people there comes a point where all the shit stacks up so high they just can't be bothered trying anymore.

Also; hello again, everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    But comic books get cancelled all the day, especially incredibly low-selling ones. Is "they stopped publishing a book that I was basically the only one reading" really a principle to stand up for? Especially when there are a number of other titles said person is already enjoying from the company?
    Cancelled for low sales, fair enough... Watered down because we think the audience are too dumb to notice and/or care, and to make a quick buck, not quite the same thing...

But that makes sense - if you don't like what happens to the character, you drop that character. Dropping the other books you like from the same company makes no sense whatsoever. Especially given the sales of the cancelled book. You're basically dropping a whole company for not publishing a book just for you personally.
    Joe, I think you're just going to have to accept that you have a blind spot here.

Some people are annoyed enough to cut off their own noses to spite DC's face.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

If people can't see how giving JC more exposure than he's had in the past 20 years (barring the movie) is a good thing for DC and for the character, then I don't know what to tell you.
    Well, it depends what happens to the actual character as a result, doesn't it? A sanitised version of a protagonist who is popular with their (albeit small) fanbase because (among other things) they're not like so many of the sanitised white bread protagonists out there is quite close to a pyrrhic victory, isn't it? Or throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Like Toodoor said, if it mattered that much, then they woulda voted for their dollars to keep the damn thing going in the first place. Ah, human contradiction, gotta love it. :-\
    Sales figures are only really a successful gauge of what is selling and nothing more. You can infer whatever you want into them, but plenty of great things fall by the wayside or fail to find an audience and equally plenty of great things sell really well. Some things that failed to sell in their day find a much bigger audience many years later. Please don't make me drag out that dog-eared bloody Velvet Underground analogy again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J Poole View Post
    Cancelled for low sales, fair enough... Watered down because we think the audience are too dumb to notice and/or care, and to make a quick buck, not quite the same thing...
    I'm pretty sure low sales were a huge part of the decision, seeing as how the book went on with Constantine in the regular DC for well over a year.

Joe, I think you're just going to have to accept that you have a blind spot here.

Some people are annoyed enough to cut off their own noses to spite DC's face.

Cheers
    They're only spiting themselves.

Surely the number of new readers Constantine picks up will easily surpass any comics some dope drops because he's being pissy about a low-selling book getting cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by karmakaze View Post
    Do your homework before you cry, huh? For a so called fan of Hellblazer you sure do seem to enjoy rubbing salt in the wounds of the people who don't want to see it cancelled.
    Half the people on here not wanting HELLBLAZER to be cancelled arenít even reading it.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    HBR, haven't you got a couple of hospitals you're supposed to be shutting down, while you're discussing this?

Priorities, yes?

If you'd rather goof off on the internet than protect your career, I, personally, would look unfavourably on your CV's ass, if it landed on my desk's ass

None of you know who I really am.
    My career is just fine.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    Worse language.

A world without cunt is no world at all.
    Real classy there….
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Bleeding Cool

They're only spiting themselves.
    Has DC perhaps cancelled Vertigo Hellblazer because, while John used to be interesting, he now just seems to keep on repeating the same old things, over and over again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    It's not ridiculous at all, HBR.
    If this is done to HB, what is stopping it being done to Fables, the unwritten, etc or andsoon?
    If the sales on those books drop far below a desirable level to continue publishing them and they’re cancelled so be it.

FABLES is my all time favorite comic book series. If it gets cancelled I’ll be saddened, but I won’t pitch a fit about it.

I can’t control the whims of a corporation I’m not running.
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    I can’t control the whims of a corporation I’m not running.
    The implied threat is terrifying. Well done! You old soulless bean-counter, you!
    Last edited by Ian Coke; 11-09-2012 at 05:51 AM.