Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Alan Scott, DC's Original Green Lantern, Be Reintroduced As A Gay Man?

Administrator

Default Will Alan Scott, DC's Original Green Lantern, Be Reintroduced As A Gay Man?

Understand that this is not a firm story. Not like DC Comics renumbering all their New DCU comics to issues zero through September, say.

This is based on a number of well sourced people and involves considerable hearsay.

It does however make a lot of sense.

Who is the, as yet unknown gay character being reintroduced to the DC Comics superhero titles? Male, an iconic character, someone who would become one of DC's most prominent gay characters?

I'm hearing that it's Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern.

Created by Martin Nodell, and first written with Bill Finger in 1940, Green Lantern was originally a mysticaly-based superhero, whose powers were derived from the flame of a magic lamp and he became an original member of the Justice Society Of America.

Eventually, Green Lantern would be rebooted in the sixties by DC as a science fiction superhero, Hal Jordan recruited by an alien police force to monitor the galaxy, the character that recently inspired a Hollywood movie. But in the comics, the original Green Lantern would also repeatedly reappear, often as an older man.

In the DC New 52 books, Alan Scott was reintroduced this month in Earth Two #1, as a young man, and head of GBC Productions.

If my assumptions are correct, we will learn of Alan Scott's sexual orientation and his role as a Green Lantern of Earth Two in Earth Two #2, out next month.

But here is the character's first reappearance from issue one...

Consultant of Cool

will he still have a weakness to wood?

Zen Master of Cool Charles Skaggs's Avatar

And somewhere in "The New 52," Molly Mayne just sighed in resignation and set up an account on a dating service website.

I'd say one of the JSAers would be a good choice. As time went on having WW2 heroes active was getting more and more tenuous, so they needed a proper relaunch, fresh start, no baggage.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

If DC Comics goes ahead and makes Alan Scott, the FIRST Green Lantern, a homosexual, I will personally stop reading The New DC Universe. You want a gay super-hero, that's fine. CREATE ONE But when you take a character such as Scott and turn him gay to gain attention, then I am done. It's an insult to the characters treasured history. And I don't think I am alone in this thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by garyarmstrong View Post
    will he still have a weakness to wood?
    Wow, gay jokes aren't even that hard if your weakness is wood I still don't see the point of changing orientation (though it's probably for the sake of potential new stories) but they really should have thought a little more about this.

I guess Jade doesn't exist then, (unless he was raped, cloned or fathered by magic) a shame if that's the case.
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

There's a twisted reboot logic at play here.

DC wipes out their WWII continuity, sends the JSA off to Earth 2 but in modern day (STILL no love for WWII), all of which successfully wipes out his children from either timeline. No Jade nor Obsidien.

Result: DC erases one of the few gay male superheroes (Obsidian). I can see them saying "Well, then let's jus make Alan gay. His marriage to Molly/Harlequin is out the window (like every non-Aminal Man based marriage in the DCnU) so why not go for it?"

I just hope they give him some version of his classic outfit, not some modified Hal Jordan costume. It looks like the latter from his cover appearance, but it's a bit hard to tell from all the mystical green flame surrounding him.

I would rather it be the Atom personally.
    I'm now doing weekly comic reviews for Fanboybuzz.com and be sure check out my blog @ thecomicsbleed.com.

Consultant of Cool

wasn't his marriage to molly a bit of a retcon anyway?

i thought jade's mother was the original rose and thorn or something

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast