Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: A New Superman Origin By Grant Morrison

Dean of Cool University MWEDMER's Avatar

I would like to know how this ties into the new addition that he is able to change his physiology so that Clark Kent and Superman do not even look like each other, as shown in the new series. This looks like a wordy, unchanged retelling of the exact same origin.

Wrote the Book on Cool

If it wasnt for Kuberts art on this i dont think id be able to stomach another superman origin story.

I agree, there can't be anyone reading comics who doesn't know Superman's origin - give us something really new. The biggest change seems to be that Krypto now belongs on a sink estate drug dealer's arm, which is something I can live without.
    Visit http://dangermart.blogspot.com/ for comic reviews

Bleeding Cool

I'm not sure what change people are wanting. Superman's origin is Superman's origin. There is not going to be any radical change, nothing more pronounced than, for example, changing Spider-Man's spider from a radioactive spider to a genetically-engineered spider. I'm sure the prototype rocket (which was explained about 70 years ago) is no longer steam-powered and doesn't have to "build up pressure" before it can launch, but that's about as much change in the origin as is likely to happen. Except ... Anyone else notice the Braniac mention? Not a new change, to be sure - Dini did the same back in the animated adventures - but certainly a change from the original origin.

I do agree that we really don't need to be told all of this again. The All-Star Superman version is really all that's needed anymore.

Oh, I don't wish the origin changed - the new stuff I want to see would be in non-origin stories. The various origins are just fine.

Speaking of which, CBR's splendid Brian Cronin has a fun article on the subject here.

I'm sick of reading Superman's origin too, but I'm willing to give up two issues towards the New 52's version just to get it done.

Actually, having noticed that this origin returns a clean-shaven Jor-El to us, I'm all over it like a rash.

And while 'mothermatician' is just fugly, Lara's role in the rocket creation here is a nice nod to her old astronaut-training background.

Cool

A bit odd that Jor-El's primary concerns for his infant son are for him to land somewhere with a good sun and where he can be all jumpy - wouldn't a breathable atmosphere be higher up most parents' list of must-haves?

I do not see anything that blows my mind here. I am enjoying the series. The art is nice...but to be honest the switches issues to issue are distracting. I dropped Superman. I will continue on Action until Morrison is gone.

-aris

Bleeding Cool

I would agree that Jor-El's concerns here seem rather odd. I like the old version where Jor-El had already been studying Earth, preparing for this possibility since he firmly believed that it would happen. That just seems to make more sense to me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast