Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Netzer Vs DC Comics

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kingchillout View Post
    I'm not surprised it doesn't make much sense to most of the posters in this thread. Judging by the comments, you are precisley the braindead liberal wankers Netzer is taking the piss out of.

So full of self-loathing and tangled in political correct mind-mazes, as is Superman these days, you can't see how close you are to actually doing the other sides fighting for them !

I can't speak for Netzer, but what I'm seeing in those two pages is....Liberals, so opened-minded, their brains have fallen out.

Feel free to rally against me and display the leftie arseholes insane fear of Fox News.......it's always the giveaway.
    So you're looking at this piece and saying that Nasser is trying to show that he feels the direction of DC Comics is so liberally inclined that in a few years Superman and co. are going to be flag-burning in the streets of Iran for the sake of pacifying liberal concern?

The problem with the comic industry is that we are constantly creating stories that are too targeted and often leave out large amounts of the demographic. We create stories too complex for younger audiences or too simplistic to hold older audiences, which is why Goyer's story was an effort at a broad stroke, unfortunately because of the dynamics of modern journalism (which is vastly polarized) a concept about being a citizen of the world as opposed to just a citizen of America gets twisted into an anti-American piece of ridiculousness.

Goyer's story didn't lead to this bizarre submission by Mike Nasser, polarized media created this opening for something that is decidedly controversial, misguided and in the end outright wrong.

Consultant of Cool

Until he posted I had assumed this was Mr. Netzer parodying the reaction of those who didn't like Superman decrying his US citizenship. I'm debating if that fit the definition of Poe's Law or not.

For those who don't know Poe's Law: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ptitlehkm94ato

Exceedingly Cool

I'm not surprised it doesn't make much sense to most of the posters in this thread. Judging by the comments, you are precisley the braindead liberal wankers Netzer is taking the piss out of.
    Duhhhhhheerrrrrrokay!

So full of self-loathing and tangled in political correct mind-mazes, as is Superman these days, you can't see how close you are to actually doing the other sides fighting for them !
    Yes, I absolutely hate myself for tangling my life with the notion that we should all get along in this world, and not go Yee-Hawing our way to invading other countries unnecessarily. Hate, hate, hate myself.

I can't speak for Netzer, but what I'm seeing in those two pages is....Liberals, so opened-minded, their brains have fallen out.
    Good to know that you seem even more 'out there' than Mr. Netzer. By the way, being open-minded is a virtue in this world. Being hatefully close-minded is something we should all generally rail against.

Thank you for showing us that part of yourself.

Feel free to rally against me and display the leftie arseholes insane fear of Fox News.......it's always the giveaway.
    No need to rally against you. Blusteringly hateful people's bark is usually way worse than their bite, which renders you pretty negligible. You remind me of someone I once knew who literally had a whole tall shelving unit full of audio tape recordings of Rush Limbaugh's radio show he had accumulated over a year's time.

The only reaction is to shake your head and laugh.
    Last edited by magnut; 06-07-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Ahhhh I get it, the name's ironic!
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Consultant of Cool Michael Netzer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kplan View Post
    And, quite frankly, while I'm currently making my way through Dostoevsky's The Idiot w/out much issue, the last panel of Netzer's little story is quite confounding to me.
    Confusion is always a good place, from which to start thinking more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshAdams View Post
    The problem with the comic industry is that we are constantly creating stories that are too targeted and often leave out large amounts of the demographic. We create stories too complex for younger audiences or too simplistic to hold older audiences, which is why Goyer's story was an effort at a broad stroke, unfortunately because of the dynamics of modern journalism (which is vastly polarized) a concept about being a citizen of the world as opposed to just a citizen of America gets twisted into an anti-American piece of ridiculousness.
    It might be naive to believe DC didn't understand or expect the "polarized media" backlash, or that Goyer's "broad stroke" was so innocent. The media is their ocean, they knew exactly what it would do. That's why they did it.

There are thousands of notable personalities, many of them American, who've become citizens of the world without needing to renounce their original citizenships. This was not so much about being a citizen of the world as it was about defining a political position.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Skaggs View Post
    Countdown to Fox News picking up this story in 3...2...1...
    Yeah. I'd be half tempted to send them the pages if I knew where the hell to send them (and wasn't too lazy)

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I would never have recognized this as Netzer's work if I had not been told first. The Wonder Woman on these pages look nothing like his previous work:
    Well, considering that image was drawn 35 years ago, is it any wonder that an artist's approach to drawing evolves in time as they themselves grow? Or are we supposed to be happy that artistic development remains pretty much unchanged throughout the life of an artist?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Quinn Romance View Post
    Beautiful art, though I do wonder why Superman is sitting on the backrest of the park bench in the first panel.
    Thank you. Not sure why he wound up sitting there that way. Maybe he just saw some people doing it in the past and thought it was cool. Superman seems very impressionable these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kplan View Post
    The original Goyer piece was making a point about diplomacy, while the last panel of this not only seems to run contrary to that story....
    For someone accusing me of not comprehending, you seem to be showing a demonstrable talent in oversight yourself. The point Goyer was making was not only about diplomacy. Which is the art of friendly negotiation. The point he made was that if people hate your country, for whatever reason, whether justified or not, then the best way to advance a diplomatic initiative with them is to renounce your citizenship and disassociate yourself from your own country. It seems that between the two of us, I was the one able to pierce beyond the surface diplomacy you present and flesh out the actual undercurrent of Goyer's story. So, whom of the two of us is the one not really comprehending?

...but to his very own lead-up to that panel.
    Again... you overlook some very key hints I gave to what's to come on the second page. "More drastic measures..." and "Whatever happens out there..." are enough leads to set up that last panel. Unless you're the type of reader who likes everything spelled out, spoon fed and free of intrigue. In which case there are a lot of comics and sitcoms that do that very well. I myself am a little bored with being so predictable.

Having three main DC Comics characters defend a dictator while burning the flags of several nations seems to imply that he thinks the better idea is to purposefully incite anger and violence against several nations.
    The hypocritical posture of some readers appalled at this image overwhelms me. If it's so disturbing for the Superheroes to burn our flags, then why are you so forgiving of the people who are really doing it... to the point of accepting that it's alright for Superman to renounce his affinity to those flags in order to open a diplomatic channel with them? More so, if you think Goyer's ploy of Superman shunning America is a worthy effort, then what's wrong with burning an American flag to accomplish the same thing? And more hypocritically, I'd sure like to hear you decry everyone out there who's inciting anger and violence against several nations instead of just picking on a comic book creator who's trying to help you better understand what's beneath the surface of your own mind.

The point he's trying to make is muddied by his own lack of knowledge about the story and lack of education on the world.
    It would seem that you are the one who's muddied your comprehension by adhering to a popular political position instead of considering all aspects of the story and the underlying currents of world events.

And, on an artistic note, the characters are posed very awkwardly...
    Maybe you prefer characters who strike tried and true superhero poses that have little to do with how real humans behave and move. For some reason that's come to bore me of late and I'd like to explore a little more variety in the humanity of the Superheroes.

and I'm trying to understand -- aside from the weird back-of-the-bench pose -- why Lois is holding the Clark Kent glasses in panel 3.
    Considering your lack understanding of what I've done, perhaps because of your knee-jerk politically-based reaction to it, it's perhaps understandable that you're having such a hard time with it. Have you never seen anyone sit atop the back of a park bench? I've seen it hundreds of times in America and abroad. What's not to understand about it? As for Lois, your misreading whose glasses she's holding complements your lack of desire to look and think about this story with any depth. Do you see the shades she's wearing in panel 1? Is it so odd that she removes them for a moment, so she could look Superman in the eye and make sure he sees her eyes, to stress the sincerity of her question?

I'm truly astounded at some of the arrogant remarks about this work that make no effort to look beyond the debilitated surface thinking that so many people have become accustomed to.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast