Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: More Shops Pass On Superman?s Adventures With Orson Scott Card

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    21,168

    Default More Shops Pass On Superman?s Adventures With Orson Scott Card

    Rikk Rodriguez writes;

    Add three more shops to the growing lists of stores not carrying that issue of Adventures of Superman. Baltimore?s Gorilla King Comics, Ireland's Big Bang Comic Shop and Ottowa'a The Comic Book Shoppe have decided to ban the Superman Adventures comic with a story written by Orson Scott Card.

    As previously mentioned, Card?s stance on gay marriage and his activist membership caused a number of comic book fans, inciting them to send a petition to DC Comics to withdraw his story.

    In a recent post on Gorilla King Comics Facebook page, they posted that they are ?standing up to hatred and intolerance.?

    The Comic Book Shoppe is also against selling the books in their store. They told CBC;
    "This is a man who wants to criminalize homosexuality," said Rob Spittall, the owner of The Comic Book Shoppe 2 location on Bank Street, not far from Ottawa's gay village.

    "Superman is a very iconic character to a lot of the gay community. He's a character that stands for truth, justice and freedom for all, and to see and learn, like I had, about Orson Scott Card ? I was astounded to find out that everything there was true," Spittall said.
    However on their Facebook page, the shop states that customers will be able to receive copies of the comic in question if they preorder.
    For those who wish to receive a copy of the upcoming Adventures of Superman issue by Card, we ask that you please request your copy via phone or private message by Thurs., Feb. 28.
    This isn?t the first time the Comic Book Shoppe has banned work from a particular artist. The store has banned Dave Sim?s work for years because of his anti-feminist standpoint.

    The Big Bang Shop also isn't completely banning the comic, merely not ordering any beyond preorders made by customers and will not display the comic on the shelf for impulse purchases.
    ?Ironically in all of this it?s a Superman story. And Superman stands for Truth and Justice. I?m pretty sure Superman, if he were a real living breathing person wouldn?t be into restricting the rights of any person no matter what their sexual orientation was but Mr Card is and that doesn?t represent the principles of Truth and Justice to us. The second irony in all of this, if we were to boycott the title all together we?d be no better than Mr Card restricting people?s right to get this issue if they so wanted to. We?re not about censoring rights, unlike Mr Card.?
    Is that a bit like having your Card and eating it?As the May 29th, release date draws close, one can only imagine how many more stores will join in on the ban of Adventures of Superman #1.

  2. #2
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Rikk Rodriguez writes;

    Add three more shops to the growing lists of stores not carrying that issue of Adventures of Superman. Baltimore?s Gorilla King Comics, Ireland's Big Bang Comic Shop and Ottowa'a The Comic Book Shoppe have decided to ban the Superman Adventures comic with a story written by Orson Scott Card.

    As previously mentioned, Card?s stance on gay marriage and his activist membership caused a number of comic book fans, inciting them to send a petition to DC Comics to withdraw his story.

    In a recent post on Gorilla King Comics Facebook page, they posted that they are ?standing up to hatred and intolerance.?

    The Comic Book Shoppe is also against selling the books in their store. They told CBC;
    "This is a man who wants to criminalize homosexuality," said Rob Spittall, the owner of The Comic Book Shoppe 2 location on Bank Street, not far from Ottawa's gay village.

    "Superman is a very iconic character to a lot of the gay community. He's a character that stands for truth, justice and freedom for all, and to see and learn, like I had, about Orson Scott Card ? I was astounded to find out that everything there was true," Spittall said.
    However on their Facebook page, the shop states that customers will be able to receive copies of the comic in question if they preorder.
    For those who wish to receive a copy of the upcoming Adventures of Superman issue by Card, we ask that you please request your copy via phone or private message by Thurs., Feb. 28.
    This isn?t the first time the Comic Book Shoppe has banned work from a particular artist. The store has banned Dave Sim?s work for years because of his anti-feminist standpoint.

    The Big Bang Shop also isn't completely banning the comic, merely not ordering any beyond preorders made by customers and will not display the comic on the shelf for impulse purchases.
    ?Ironically in all of this it?s a Superman story. And Superman stands for Truth and Justice. I?m pretty sure Superman, if he were a real living breathing person wouldn?t be into restricting the rights of any person no matter what their sexual orientation was but Mr Card is and that doesn?t represent the principles of Truth and Justice to us. The second irony in all of this, if we were to boycott the title all together we?d be no better than Mr Card restricting people?s right to get this issue if they so wanted to. We?re not about censoring rights, unlike Mr Card.?
    Is that a bit like having your Card and eating it?As the May 29th, release date draws close, one can only imagine how many more stores will join in on the ban of Adventures of Superman #1.
    When sites like Amazon.com start doing this then it will matter.

    Nobody needs to go to a comic shop anymore.
    _OM_, Evilsmurf, IronButt and 1 others like this.

  3. #3
    Zen Master of Cool Rich Flair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasoninthewoods View Post
    When sites like Amazon.com start doing this then it will matter.

    Nobody needs to go to a comic shop anymore.
    It's not for sale on Amazon. I guess comic shops still matter.
    calkundera likes this.

  4. #4
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Flair View Post
    It's not for sale on Amazon. I guess comic shops still matter.
    Firstly, its digital first, secondly, Amazon will sell the tradepaperback when its dued.
    Pop-Tart Samson likes this.

  5. #5
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Flair View Post
    It's not for sale on Amazon. I guess comic shops still matter.
    You think it won't be for sale online?

  6. #6
    Way Cool Dark Souls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Thankfully DC sided with freedom of speech rather than politically correct whining.

  7. #7
    Cool
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Souls View Post
    Thankfully DC sided with freedom of speech rather than politically correct whining.
    Why do I get the feeling you don't understand what "freedom of speech" means...?

  8. #8
    Zen Master of Cool Rich Flair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atrocitus View Post
    Firstly, its digital first, secondly, Amazon will sell the tradepaperback when its dued.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoninthewoods View Post
    You think it won't be for sale online?
    I thought Amazon was mentioned. They don't sell new single issue comics there.

  9. #9
    Wrote the Book on Cool JSayonara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    674

    Default

    I wouldn't shop at a LCS that dictated what I could buy from them.

    By all means boycott the comic yourself if you're offended in some way, but business is business and by doing this they're acting just as Scott Card is perceived to be.

    And allowing customers to buy it privately whilst not putting it on the shelves is just bullshit.

  10. #10
    Time Out QCCBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,367

    Default

    Making a stand is one thing, but 'Sure, we'll sell it to anyone who wants it, we're just not going to get more than we know we have sold' is pathetic. Not that I object to maximizing profits...
    die-yng, Blade X, Hollow and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •