Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 141
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Tuesday Runaround - Black Cosplayers But No Black Comic Writers

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    21,213

    Default Tuesday Runaround - Black Cosplayers But No Black Comic Writers

    WHY DOES SUPERMAN NEED A MASK?



    When children's hospital window cleaners cosplay...

    STAN ALIVE

    Heidi MacDonald goes to the Stan Lee Kids Universe launch event.
    The Kids UNiverse is produced in conjunction with 1821 Productions and thus far includes two titles: the very promising sounding KITTENS VS MONSTERS by Dani Jones and a game for the ioS platform called GOOBEEZ: PIRATE ADVENTURE.

    The STKU event was held at Giggles N? Hugs in Century City, and was hosted by actress Jamie Pressley.
    ETHNOCRUNCHING

    Joseph Hughes reminds us that not one single black writer is working on an ongoing title at either Marvel or DC.
    That's two major initiatives over the past 18 months from the two biggest comic publishers in this country meant to update their brands in an attempt to better reflect the world we currently live in. Yet somehow, from the angle of a black writer trying to break into comics, this current era in the industry looks quite a bit like the one we were supposed to be leaving behind
    MAUSEUM

    Art Spiegelman gets a restrospective exhibition in Vancouver.
    The Vancouver ArtGallery is to house a retrospective of renowned comic artist Art Spiegelman, in ?Art Spiegelman CO-MIX: A Retrospective of Comics, Graphics, and Scraps?. The exhibition is to feature 400 preparatory drawings, sketches, studies and panels relating to his early underground comics from the 1970s. Visitors will be offered the opportunity of seeing Spiegelman?s most acclaimed work, Maus ? the artist owes his earning of the Pulitzer Prize to this autobiographical graphic novel published between 1978 and 1991, depicting his father?s experience with the Holocaust and accounting for the complexity of father and son relationships. The event will also showcase some of Spiegelman?s most recent work, such as the striking In The Shadow of No Towers that the artist created in response to 9/11. The exhibition evolves through a chronological pattern, which provides visitors with a clear insight of the artist?s work first as an underground comics artist, then reaching the position of a first-range cultural commentator and satirist.
    This is Computo the Comic Link Conqueror speaking. I come for your women. But for now I merely collate comic-related bits and pieces online. One day I will rule. Until that day, read on.

    They say I am a work in progress. The fools.

    I'm a Black Female Cosplayer And Some People Hate It | xoJane
    After my pictures started making the rounds on deviantArt, tumblr and 4chan, it became pretty clear that my cosplay brings all the racists to the yard, and they're like?white cosplay is better than yours.
    Eisner Awards Current Info | Comic-Con International: San Diego
    The Eisner Awards judges have selected two individuals to automatically be inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Awards Hall of Fame for 2013. These inductees are Golden Age artist Mort Meskin (Vigilante, Wildcat, Johnny Quick for DC) and the late underground cartoonist Spain Rodriguez (Trashman, Nightmare Alley).
    Comic Writing Part Six- Writin? ?Bout Fightin? | Zub Tales
    Most of the comic writing I?m known for at this early point in my career have big action at their core: Skullkickers, Street Fighter and Pathfinder (also, apparently, a lot of books with ?er? in the title). I like the momentum and intensity a good action scene can add to a story and enjoy brainstorming new and amusing combat scenarios.
    spacedog likes this.

  2. #2
    Bleeding Cool toodoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Winchester, UK
    Posts
    12,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    I'm a Black Female Cosplayer And Some People Hate It | xoJane
    After my pictures started making the rounds on deviantArt, tumblr and 4chan, it became pretty clear that my cosplay brings all the racists to the yard, and they're like?white cosplay is better than yours.
    That was a nice blog.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

    My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

    Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Dean of Cool University Mart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    That is so depressing - xoJane looks like a lovely lass, having a fantastic time.
    Visit http://dangermart.blogspot.com/ for comic reviews

  4. #4
    Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    I like that xoJane gal! Her skin color really makes the colors on that costume pop, in my opinion.

  5. #5
    Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC, NY
    Posts
    1,816

    Default

    My favorite thing to tell people who object to Cosplayers switching up race/gender/etc. is to tell them:

    "Okay, but your kids are only allowed to dress up as children or midgets for Halloween. 'Cause Dracula sure wasn't three feet tall."

  6. #6
    Bleeding Cool Matt Krotzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Posts
    15,922

    Default

    Can't check out xoJane's blog from work, but I always like to support enthusiastic fans in their creative endeavors, and she's gorgeous. Love that Cap costume.

    As for the (I guess semi-related?) story about lacking black authors in comics, I found it thought-provoking and insightful, if a bit one-sided. "And yet, as I mentioned above, the focus on bringing more black writers into the industry has been largely ignored, both by publishers and, it needs to be said, by the comic book press."

    After reading it, I was left wondering what black writers are out there looking for comic book work? I'm always seeing articles promoting Kickstarter projects on the various comics sites I frequent, but the author didn't even provide one example of a black writer using this outlet to tell/sell their stories. Creative individuals have more avenues than ever to get onto the scene... so one is left wondering if the lack of black writers coming into the industry is due to publisher decisions, or lack of interest on the part of black writers.

    I personally don't know or care if the person writing my comics is white, black or even Skrull (I'm looking at you, Gail Simone...) so long as the story is good. In the increasingly digital workplace of the industry, it seems even less likely that doors are being closed based on race, as it seems you could very likely be hired without ever having a face-to-face meeting.

  7. #7
    Exceedingly Cool TheLostSuperFriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    107

    Default

    "There is currently not a single black writer working on a monthly series for either of the two biggest comic book publishers in the United States, and precious few working for any of the others."

    That is just an awful, awful statistic. The blame does not rest solely with Marvel and DC, but they should still be ashamed.

    I don't know how you fix it, but it seems to me it's a clear sign of a stagnated industry.

  8. #8
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Krotzer View Post
    Can't check out xoJane's blog from work, but I always like to support enthusiastic fans in their creative endeavors, and she's gorgeous. Love that Cap costume.

    As for the (I guess semi-related?) story about lacking black authors in comics, I found it thought-provoking and insightful, if a bit one-sided. "And yet, as I mentioned above, the focus on bringing more black writers into the industry has been largely ignored, both by publishers and, it needs to be said, by the comic book press."

    After reading it, I was left wondering what black writers are out there looking for comic book work? I'm always seeing articles promoting Kickstarter projects on the various comics sites I frequent, but the author didn't even provide one example of a black writer using this outlet to tell/sell their stories. Creative individuals have more avenues than ever to get onto the scene... so one is left wondering if the lack of black writers coming into the industry is due to publisher decisions, or lack of interest on the part of black writers.

    I personally don't know or care if the person writing my comics is white, black or even Skrull (I'm looking at you, Gail Simone...) so long as the story is good. In the increasingly digital workplace of the industry, it seems even less likely that doors are being closed based on race, as it seems you could very likely be hired without ever having a face-to-face meeting.
    Well that only means you don't know them. I'm not saying I do either, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure there are plenty of black people trying to publish comics. And Kickstarter isn't the be-all-end-all solution as demonstrated by Rich's article yesterday. (Also: Jamal Igle)
    Maybeland likes this.
    Le Pov where I do my thing in French or English.
    My Tumblr: a sign that it's not just the cool kids anymore who have one.
    @Thomallard on Twitter

  9. #9
    Bleeding Cool Matt Krotzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    (╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Posts
    15,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B-Thom View Post
    Well that only means you don't know them. I'm not saying I do either, don't get me wrong, but I'm sure there are plenty of black people trying to publish comics. And Kickstarter isn't the be-all-end-all solution as demonstrated by Rich's article yesterday. (Also: Jamal Igle)
    I'm aware that I don't know them. My point was that the article, while well-meaning, doesn't do much in terms of trying to rectify the issue, either. It's one thing to be upset over an issue... but if it's truly important to the author, a constructive approach might be a better service to the goal.
    B-Thom likes this.

  10. #10
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    710

    Default

    It would have indeed be nice. Though Black History month is only starting, maybe they will do a series of articles on up-and-coming black writers or confirmed writers interested. I'd definitely like to read that.
    SAMURAI36 and Matt Krotzer like this.
    Le Pov where I do my thing in French or English.
    My Tumblr: a sign that it's not just the cool kids anymore who have one.
    @Thomallard on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •