Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: It's Con War In Seattle. And Portland.

Administrator

Default It's Con War In Seattle. And Portland.

Emerald City Comic Con is on March 1st to the 3rd this year, in Seattle. And Wizard World have announced that they have a show a week earlier, down the road, in Portland from February 22nd to the 24th.

Joe Parrington of Emerald City told Oregon Live
    You can't put two shows of this size that are almost identical together, put them five days apart and expect both to have maximum success... The issue isn't that Emerald City Comicon has to be the only kid on the block with a lemonade stand. Wizard decided to open its lemonade stand on the same week we're doing it and, essentially, on the same block.
    Wizard CEO John Macaluso tried to brush over past con war activity (such as announcing a Wizard World New York convention on the same days and same street as New York Comic Con)
    "We're a new company today. Whatever comic-con wars happened in the past, I come to this with no baggage. We picked Portland only because there is no show in Portland. We only wish (Emerald City) success."
    ECCC have now struck back, scheduling a new show in Portland in September. And asking people to choose sides.

It's War!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Its on... oh its on like Donkey Kong!
    I see both sides of this and to me at least they are both major cities and it is a week a part. If anything, if I was a con-goer I'd love this. Back to back weekends of con-going fun.
    Cavemold likes this.

Lou

I want to see this covered in an episode of Portlandia.
    enabler likes this.

Since my beloved Section 8 has a non-aggression pact with the Timbers Army, Seattle can suck it.

Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar

Having been to ECCC last year, I can honestly say it was a fantastic con. Top tier comic book artists and writers every where I looked. The whole convention was like a gigantic Artist's Alley!
    IronButt and PeterWhitney like this.

It's a 'new' company??? HA! Same thuggish behavior trying to force out existing shows. They pulled the stunt here in OH by moving Columbus as close to the Expo as they could, even to the point of scheduling it on the same date. Buy a show that was traditionally on Thanksgiving, move it to October, then once the Expo got an established date in Sept., move it to Sept. too. If you love comic shows, DON'T support Wizard World.

The good news is that if you want to meet a wrestler from the 80s or pay $125 for an autograph for someone who used to captain a starship in TV, you can pick the Wizard con.

If you want to meet comic book creators and experience a great artists alley, you can check out ECCC and the Portland show that they've created.
    STFmaryville likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

It's not really a contest. Emerald City for the win, obviously.

Zen Master of Cool

Emerald City Comic Con is still about comics. Wizard had Rob Blagojevich once. Also, I might be wrong in this but didn't WizardWorld try to buy ECCC a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWhitney View Post
    Emerald City Comic Con is still about comics. Wizard had Rob Blagojevich once. Also, I might be wrong in this but didn't WizardWorld try to buy ECCC a few years ago?
    Wizard has tried to buy most small to mid-size cons in major cities. Their plan at one point seemed to be that they wanted 52 cons a year...which now makes me wonder if Dan Didio was somehow involved

[/conspiracy]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast