Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Rantz Hoseley On Unionising Comics

Administrator

Default Rantz Hoseley On Unionising Comics

Rantz Hoseley (remember him? When Longbox Comics was a thing?) writes;
    If you?re receiving this, it?s because a.) I know you and b.) at some point we?ve discussed the state of the comic industry, how it treats creators, and the need to ?make things better?. Attached are some outlined thoughts on an American Sequential Arts Guild, that might address some of these concerns and issues that have haunted us as an industry for years in a way that both creators and publishers might embrace, and that would serve as a critical support role for freelance creators.

If you have no interest in this, please feel free to ignore this email. However, if you have any thoughts, feedback, input or interest, please feel free to reply. Furthermore, in an effort to explore this idea on a larger scale, I encourage you to cross-post this to any blogs or newssites, in order to get feedback from the existing freelance creators on the largest field possible.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to the discussion that will (hopefully) grow out of this.

Best wishes, and I hope that your holiday season, and coming new year are filled with joy, love, and great things.

Rantz HoseleyProfessional Windmill Tilter and Troublemaker
    Will do Rantz, will do.

[issuu viewMode=singlePage width=550 height=712 backgroundColor=%23222222 documentId=121214233232-7c66d90e07134378a91cb26d973969c4 name=american_sequential_art_guild_notes username=richjohnston tag=american unit=px v=2]

Wrote the Book on Cool DarkKnightJared's Avatar

Hmm...seems like Rantz thought a lot of this through. One thing I noticed that's interesting--he says that since it is not a union, creators can sign contracts with publishers for a rate that is below the guild minimum, in order to give creators options/choice. However, the very next dot says that if a publisher does, then they will no longer be guild accredited.

Now, if this guild idea does take off, doesn't that inherently drive up the rates, doing the same thing that a union does in the first place?

Dean of Cool University Arnoldoaad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJared View Post
    Hmm...seems like Rantz thought a lot of this through. One thing I noticed that's interesting--he says that since it is not a union, creators can sign contracts with publishers for a rate that is below the guild minimum, in order to give creators options/choice. However, the very next dot says that if a publisher does, then they will no longer be guild accredited.

Now, if this guild idea does take off, doesn't that inherently drive up the rates, doing the same thing that a union does in the first place?
    not really, just like it says here it will only establish the minimum rate for inkers, writers, etc
    it will just depend on whatever the publisher want or not to be Guild accredited

we could get in a situation where pretty much every single published with the exception of DC and Marvel adopt this system and it would still be a positive thing
    Rootfireember likes this.
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART is UP
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

Wrote the Book on Cool MattMoylan's Avatar

What would be the benefit for publishers?
    Matt Moylan
    Managing Editor UDON Entertaiment
    Writer Bravoman
    Follow me on Twitter: @Lilformers

Quote Originally Posted by MattMoylan View Post
    What would be the benefit for publishers?
    Um... unions aren't usually formed to benefit the employers...
    Timber-Munki and DarthEwok like this.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Um... unions aren't usually formed to benefit the employers...
    Of course but if there's no benefit for publishers, why would any of them ever sign on to this?
    Matt Moylan
    Writer Bravoman

Of course but if there's no benefit for publishers, why would any of them ever sign on to this?
    Because publishers are evil and shouldn't be allowed to make money or set wages. Oh, waitaminute, if they're EVIL, there's no way they'ed sign on.
    MattMoylan likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

This morning on the news, a guy from the Detroit Auto Union was publicly threatening the governor's children, since the guy had the nerve to sign a bill allowing people the choice of not joining unions. They always start out with good intentions and end up worse the corrupt companies they're trying to fight.

If enough top writers and artists sign on to it, they won't have a choice.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    If enough top writers and artists sign on to it, they won't have a choice.
    Top writers and artists already get paid well. Why would they sign on either? It'd just be extra hassle for them.
    Matt Moylan
    Writer Bravoman

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast