Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By downlikecharlie
  • 1 Post By Maybeland

Thread: Ten Thoughts About Ten Comics - Batman And Robin, Sherlock Holmes, Crossed, Before Watchmen, Caligula, Change, Dan The Unharmable, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four And Avengers Arena

Administrator

Default Ten Thoughts About Ten Comics - Batman And Robin, Sherlock Holmes, Crossed, Before Watchmen, Caligula, Change, Dan The Unharmable, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four And Avengers Arena

Batman #13 did this more subtly, but Batman And Robin #15 goes straight for the Killing Joke.

Sherlock Holmes: Liverpool Demon #1 lays out its stall. Supernatural crime, met by a man without an ounce of belief in that regard, as he ably demonstrates...

Crossed Badlands #19 begins a new Si SpurrierCrossed story, with a story in the early days of the Crossed with one such infected individual who doesn't quite behave as other Crossed. Flashbacks and a narration from an ex-lover provide us the context and even a love story across, well, greater boundaries that have ever been... crossed before.

Before Watchmen: Dr Manhattan begins to put it all back in the box. All the myriad of parallel universe that have been spilling out, trying to repair the resultant realities like... a watch. Do you see what he did there? JMS is also looking to address the seeming contradiction of a man who can do anything being restricted by the future. Destiny vs Free Will all over again.

The new Caligula series continues to give us the cop-in-Rome-well-out-of-his-league but this time takes him off the force to go private for a certain client. Rome Noir. And we get to have some fun with the kids...

Change #1 fives us one character dealing with an unpleasant image... by given as an even worse image. Thank you Change, I really mean that. No, really.

Dan The Unharmable takes up amateur puppet theatre it seems. A nasty comic with a big heart.

Okay, this. How can anyone say this sentence from Amazing Spider-Man #699.1 without screaming to the local village and demanding pitchforks and flaming torches.

One of the more disturbing elements of Fantastic Four #2. They've captured Moon Boy and stuck him in a stasis cell. Moon Boy! There's all sorts of parallels with Jack Kirby one could bring up, if you so wish. And I wish.

Avengers Arena. Hey, it's a teen slasher comic, you can't have violence without the sex.

Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics, London.

Captain Cool

Ten seconds? She was counting the time? That's not something a normal girl would do.

Change and Fantastic Four both look interesting. Hope to be able to read both soon.

It is no coincidence that Tumble is down the same day Avengers Arena comes out.

If you people think the shitstorm over Moore and Gunn was bad be ready to break out the umbrellas.

Avengers Arena was alright.

Painfully obvious its a simulation though

(1) Overwritten, boring Joker dialogue in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (2) Too many Joker monologues in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (3) Too many Joker soliloquies in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (4) Too many Joker sonnets in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (5) Too many Ballads of the Sad Joker in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (6) Too many flaccid Joker threats in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (7) Too many Jokerís face falling off panels in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (8) No po-po busting caps in the back of The Jokerís head in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (9) Too much boring Joker dialogue in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (10) Too many Joker monologues in DEATH OF THE FAMILY

downlikecharlie

Quote Originally Posted by HellBlazerRaiser View Post
    (7) Too many Joker’s face falling off panels in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (8) No po-po busting caps in the back of The Joker’s head in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    We get it, man.
    Cavemold likes this.

(7) Too many Joker’s face falling off panels in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    (8) No po-po busting caps in the back of The Joker’s head in DEATH OF THE FAMILY
    I have the feeling you don't like Death of the Family.

I like it enough to keep reading it, but the writing is starting to really wear down my patience.

I wrote on the DC POSITIVITY THREAD that I have a difficult time suspending my disbelief when it comes to no one ever just slicing off The Joker's head or a seasoned police officer like the Commish not busting a cap between Joker's eyes, so that is affecting my capacity to fully embrace DEATH OF THE FAMILY.

I like it enough to keep reading it, but the writing is starting to really wear down my patience.

I wrote on the DC POSITIVITY THREAD that I have a difficult time suspending my disbelief when it comes to no one ever just slicing off The Joker's head or a seasoned police officer like the Commish not busting a cap between Joker's eyes, so that is affecting my capacity to fully embrace DEATH OF THE FAMILY.
    But you are arguing against a superhero trope.

Not killing bad guys, in fact Arkham Asylum itself was created as a way to get around the idea of wouldn't we just shoot these people?

The Joker won't die for the same reason Lex Luther, Norman Osbourne, Wilson Fisk, Red Skull and basically every other supervillian in existence won't get killed, Dan Slott of all people had a really great issue of Spiderman about this issue.

But if you really want bad guys to stay dead you are going to have to jump into a different genre.
    Rootfireember likes this.