Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Gail Simone - "I Have Not Left Batgirl"

Administrator

Default Gail Simone - "I Have Not Left Batgirl"

Today, on her message board, Gail Simone replied to the rumours we've been reporting that she may be leaving the Batgirl title.

She simply stated;
    I have not left Batgirl.
    Which is pretty cut and dry and far more than she was saying when I put the matter to her earlier in the week. By five words.

There's always the get out clause she could use "I didn't leave, I was pushed" but that smacks of equivocation. Certainly a number DC people earlier in the week definitely believed that Gail Simone had walked off the book. It's possible that whatever may have let to that state of affairs, then changed. Even the reaction to the publication of the original article may have had an affect.

And I hope so, I rather enjoy Gail's work on the title.

However, regarding the veracity of rumours regarding the other titles, look to March's DC solicitations - a writer change on Birds Of Prey may be your first confirmatory sign that "something is up"...

Well that's unfortunate.

Consultant of Cool

duane has publicly stated he's gone from birds of prey...while i don't think gail needs to go back to that book, it WOULD give her more control over batgirl...i'd rather they hand teen titans over to gail

Captain Cool

I like how it's "I have not left Batgirl" and not "I am not leaving Batgirl." Huge difference.
    Sparvid and Arnoldoaad like this.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Strong View Post
    I like how it's "I have not left Batgirl" and not "I am not leaving Batgirl." Huge difference.
    If she actually is leaving/was fired from the book, it would make more sense for her not to comment at all than to equivocate that much. But who knows.

I am torn. I love Gail's prior work with the character.. but I just hardly recognize her in this awful awful reboot. And I do not know if it is rwally working out.. not that I think there is much any other writer best for the character. It would be like asking Denny O'Neil or Chuck Dixon back to write Batman but DC mandated that he is now a kickboxer from the moon. And I tuink Dinah on Birds of Prey is even worse off. Even the damn CW turning her into a John Grisham lawyer charcater feels more right than DCnU turning her into a Wildstorm character and black ops member of Team 7 alongside Deathstroke. So Gail seems just as doomed writing bizzaro Birds of Prey as Babsgirl here. And do not even get me started on the stupid company mandate for Huntress. Hell.. even Nightwing and something minor like a costume color change is bunk.. never mind the major major changes to Gail's Birds of Prey characters.

I read a friend's copy of Batgirl #1 and was just disgusted. Dunno if even he continued it. Even Gail's writing and love for the character could not get me to stomach the dranstic drastic changes. It is just horrifying. The charcater is just so much poorer, not matter what Gail writes.

Now I cannot blame Gail fot sticking with it. If antone is going to write these horrible changes to these charcaters.. it is her and she is sticking with them through the bad times. She has more patience with the peabrains running DC than I do. She must have the patience and restraint of a saint.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Strong View Post
    You're reading too much into it.
    Joe Kalicki, toodoor, TGC and 2 others like this.

Cool

About Duane leaving, I talked to him on twitter:

@swierczy you probably can't answer this, but are you leaving Birds of Prey? Its rumored you are. Which would suck.

He tweeted back:

@DylanDavison Sadly, the suckage is true: #17 is my last issue.

So Duane is leaving and issue 17 is his last.

I talked to the current artist too, he is not leaving, so its just the writer that is changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    It's possible that whatever may have let to that state of affairs, then changed. Even the reaction to the publication of the original article may have had an affect.
    For some reason this reminds me of that old televangelist trick where the audience is riled up into believing Judgment Day is imminent, then when it doesn't happen it's simply announced that the prayers of the viewers (and usually their donations, too) convinced God to stay his hand.

Rich Johnston: Doing the Lord's Work...?

Wrote the Book on Cool Anthony Lucynski's Avatar

Wait....so is Bleeding Cool a superchurch? Are you tax exempt???? THAT's how you can afford to venture into publishing!

Well played, Sir Johnston.....er...Father Johnston? I dunno what to call you.....

Anthony L

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast