Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Sideways Absolute Promethea On Its Way

Administrator

Default Sideways Absolute Promethea On Its Way

Back in the day, Wildstorm Editor-In-Chief Scott Dunbier planned to publish Promethea, in the Absolute format that he pioneered at DC Comics, sideways. Preserving the double page spread that became JH Williams' signature, the book would be read landscape rather than portrait, without important story and artistic information being lost in the fold. It would also include a fold out version of the final issue, so that readers could access the poster version as well as the split-up-page version.

It didn't happen. Scott Dunbier was fired by Paul Levitz over the Black Dossier and Alan Moore affair and, after sufficient gardening leave, he took a job at IDW, where he pioneered the Artist's Edition format.

But now I understand that DC are revisiting the volume. And are planning a sideways Promethea Omnibus, featuring oversized Absolute-style pages, read sideways, akin to the originally planned format. And all 32 issues in one volume.

Here are a few double pages to revisit why this comic was quite so special.

Exceedingly Cool

I have the original hardcover collections, and thought long and hard about the Absolute editions.

Good thing I waited...

How have the DC Omnibus bindings been holding up? The Marvel Omnibi (in my experience) aren't all that strong.

Just in time for a x-mas present to self.

Yeah, J.H. Williams III teased this a couple months ago on his Twitter, I think.

But I do wonder if they will use the same quality paper stock they used for the Absolute Editions, because a paper so thick for a book collecting 32 issues + of material would result in an object akin to a concrete block. My mind cannot fathom a book the size of three Absolute Edition volumes stacked over each other!

Yeah, J.H. Williams III teased this a couple months ago on his Twitter, I think.

But I do wonder if they will use the same quality paper stock they used for the Absolute Editions, because a paper so thick for a book collecting 32 issues + of material would result in an object akin to a concrete block. My mind cannot fathom a book the size of three Absolute Edition volumes stacked over each other!

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro View Post

If everything is printed as double-page spreads it should only be as thick as 16 issues. The Absolute format should be able to handle that.
    Leandro and saidestroyer like this.

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

I totally shredded my copy of 32 recombining it in various ways and now use it only for divination so i might get this. I got a few of the hardbacks . . .

Captain Cool

Does it collect the whole series?

Personally, I just keep the initial run and skip the Kabbalah lecture stuff.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro View Post
    464 pages will collect it all, including the covers of the comics, hardcovers and softcovers, plus additional design pages. The format should be able to handle the page count nicely. And, personally, I'd love to see a limited edition in a clam shell case. ;-)
    Lemurion and Leandro like this.

VP in Charge of Cool betty boolean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Strong View Post
    Does it collect the whole series?

Personally, I just keep the initial run and skip the Kabbalah lecture stuff.
    u no like the kablahblah?
    irrg likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast