Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich Johnston
  • 1 Post By Mike H.
  • 1 Post By Crichton

Thread: Son Of Merlin From Top Cow In February. Finally.

Administrator

Default Son Of Merlin From Top Cow In February. Finally.

It was previewed at San Diego Comic Con. In 2010. Then they published the preview in November. 2010. And now in February 2013, it gets published. Son Of Merlin by Robert Place Napton and Zid from Top Cow and Heroes And Villains Entertainment.

A fully painted comic book, it's Arthurian legend via Star Wars being played out on the streets of modern day Manhattan. So we get majestically magical scenes like this that remind you of the likes of a simplified but painted Promethea.

Then take mundane mixing of the Arthurian and the everyday-familiar, and just a bit of Whedonesque stylised dialogue.

So we have Merlin. Guinevere. Morgan Le Fey. And, as the title suggests, the Son Of Merlin... of all the Heroes And Villains title, which have included Epoch and Netherworld, doesn't this seem the most commercially exploitable? It certainly looks the prettiest...
    ShinAkuma666 likes this.

Issue #2 zooming your way in August of 2015!
    Howard likes this.

I think I'll re-read Peter David's "Knight Life" instead.

気持ち悪い

Exceedingly Cool
    The deepest pits of Hel, somewhere in southern germany

Ooh... shiny!! Must. Have. Book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    I think I'll re-read Peter David's "Knight Life" instead.
    What's wrong with reading both?

How does Top Cow still exist?

Wrote the Book on Cool Dave Elliott's Avatar

Been looking forward to this book just to see more of ZID's artwork. Zid did a lot of the art on Steve Nile's CITY OF DUST. Great artist and super nice guy!!

Exceedingly Cool
    The deepest pits of Hel, somewhere in southern germany

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    How does Top Cow still exist?
    Because they actually have some decent books by now, not solely t&a anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Elliott View Post
    Been looking forward to this book just to see more of ZID's artwork. Zid did a lot of the art on Steve Nile's CITY OF DUST. Great artist and super nice guy!!
    I thought the art reminded me of some Radical book. The artwork for City of Dust was really good.

Napton is not a fantastic writer, but he can write a decent story so I think I'll defnitely give this one a try.

What "decent" books do they put out? Everything I've seen is garbage. Even the Cyber Force reboot is just awful. They had a good idea with Pilot Season but they screwed that up too by being SO late. I don't see how the company can sustain itself. If I was Silvestri I would ask Disney if they wanted to buy my company too...
    ShinAkuma666 likes this.

Zen Master of Cool ShinAkuma666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    What "decent" books do they put out? Everything I've seen is garbage. Even the Cyber Force reboot is just awful. They had a good idea with Pilot Season but they screwed that up too by being SO late. I don't see how the company can sustain itself. If I was Silvestri I would ask Disney if they wanted to buy my company too...
    I would not say that everything they publish is garbage but there is no doubt that its hard giving them a try if your not interested in Witchblade or the Darkness...

And when they try new things, its only mini series and too often these are late...

I love Image comics to death but its so easy to skip over the Top Cow offerings, its like their heart is not into it...

I will give this a try, when and only when it comes out in TPB.