Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Byrne Keeping Busy Busy Busy!

Banned

Zen Master of Cool Bright-Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Translation: He needs Terry Austin.
    Just like Gary Frank needs Cam Smith, Mark Bagley needs Randy Emberlin or Larry Mahlstedt and Chris Bachalo and Joe Madureira need Tim Townsend.
    You mussed up the translation, there, Hollow. Austin's ink style just isn't compatible with Byrne anymore. Now, perhaps Tom Palmer, or Jerry Ordway, or Walt Simonson over full Byrne pencils... that could (possibly) work.
    Mike H. likes this.
    Louis Bright-Raven
    Freelance writer / artist / editor
    http://bright-raven.deviantart.com
    http://www.facebook.com/louis.brightraven

Quote Originally Posted by m0rris0n View Post
    Right. He did things in the past. He's publicly stated he's done with Marvel. For a time there even being so childish as to not spell out the word 'Marvel' when talking about them. Watching people on his Forum follow suit was creepy to say the least. His DC days are done as well. Even before the new 52 shift he was a non-entity at DC.
    He's done with Marvel because of who is in charge at Marvel. Shitcan the executives and editors and get people who aren't known for dicking over the veteran creators, of which Byrne was only one, and watch him (and Mike Zeck, Rick Leonardi, Tom Lyle, and a plethora of others) come back as regulars again. As for DC, I doubt very seriously he wants to be treated the way Perez just got treated on SUPERMAN recently and wouldn't put up with it. So again, it comes down to - is the publisher going to get the fuck out of his way and let him do the job they hired him to do, or is he supposed to be a sock puppet for the current regime? Because he's not going to be the latter.

His days of relevance and interest have waned. Which, in some ways, is a shame. If he had not been as outspoken or as, well, dickish, he could still be a top tier artist. Not so much a writer though. If John Byrne had started off with zero artistic talent he would have never made it as a writer. But that's a matter of speculation.
    Considering he was nominated for a Bram Stoker Award for best first novel for FEAR BOOK and received accolades for his followup novel WHIPPING BOY and his other horror genre short fiction when he was writing fiction semi-regularly in the nineties, I don't think his writing is an issue, per se.

John Byrne will be remembered for the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Superman, and being an asshole. Everything he has been doing for the last few years and for years to come will be an afterthought. That's what it comes down to. If you like his current stuff -- awesome. For the majority of the comic buying public it's more a case of "Is that all there is?".
    His ALPHA FLIGHT, his HULK, his short BATMAN stint, the classic Spider-Man and MJ as Red Sonja vs. Kulan Gath in MARVEL TEAM-UP (in fact there's a few MTU and M2-in-1s one-shot stories Byrne worked on that are memorable), the LEGENDS mini that helped set up the DCU after Crisis... his AVENGERS stuff, his CAPTAIN AMERICA run with Roger Stern... there's a lot more than just the X-MEN / FF / SUPERMAN work.

But when you stop and think about it, most comics creators are predominantly known and beloved for a handful of works amongst their larger bodies of work, and seldom is it their latest efforts that always hold up as the best content they do. So it's really no big deal.
    Mike H. likes this.
    Louis Bright-Raven

Quote Originally Posted by ArnimZagarian View Post
    I wish he started a series called Byrne Robotics, about grumpy know-bots and powerful hot women.
    Who holds the rights to ROG 2000 (from his Charlton work) these days? I'd love to see him draw that character again. Heck, I want a statue or an action figure too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Raven View Post
    You mussed up the translation, there, Hollow. Austin's ink style just isn't compatible with Byrne anymore. Now, perhaps Tom Palmer, or Jerry Ordway, or Walt Simonson over full Byrne pencils... that could (possibly) work.
    Tom Palmer did beautiful work over his pencils on X-Men: The Hidden Years. He gave them a bit of a Neal Adams feel, which I'm sure was the intent. Ordway was also a winner when it came to bringing out the best in Byrne's pencils. And what is Karl Kesel up to these days? He had such a graceful, polished line whenever he inked Byrne's work on the Superman books.
    ArnimZagarian likes this.

Karl... is part of Periscope Studios, which is the largest group of online comics creators in the northwest. I believe he was / is writing at Marvel most recently. I know he recently made news in August about selling his comics collection in order to afford adopting a baby who was born addicted to drugs. (Crack? Heroin? One or the other, I don't remember the specifics.)
    Mike H. likes this.
    Louis Bright-Raven

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Raven View Post
    Karl... is part of Periscope Studios, which is the largest group of online comics creators in the northwest. I believe he was / is writing at Marvel most recently. I know he recently made news in August about selling his comics collection in order to afford adopting a baby who was born addicted to drugs. (Crack? Heroin? One or the other, I don't remember the specifics.)
    Thanks for the info, Bright-Raven.

I'd love Karl Kesel back at DC on something.

And he even worked for Bob Harras at Marvel, so that would give people plenty to complain about as a bonus!

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
    Man, I really think you're letting your Byrne-hate cloud your judgement.
    But Mike, I wouldn't say I hate Byrne. Perhaps it seems like it, but it's not as if he's moved in next door and stolen my parking space, or anything. He isn't hosting all night bongo sessions.

Admittedly, I was banned from his website, but that was for a bet; how long would it take without resorting to bad language, or being too obvious about it? At the time, there was a thread on the subject of whether or not Frank Quitely's cover for All Star Superman, issue one, made Superman 'look gay'. What if he was, I wondered. What if Superman was secretly in love with Brainiac, etc, and just using Lois Lane as a beard? Bingo. The ban-hammer was swift.

Frank Miller and Alan Moore can get away with the occasional outburst; even Dave Sims sort of can, but John Byrne is at this 24/7, in a way that can only be destructive to his critical reputation, long-term. He was great on the X-Men, and Alpha Flight in particular (though he doesn't seem to like that) but now, he appears to prefer to see himself as a sort of on-line voice of truth, with well-thumbed copies of Walden and Atlas Shrugged on his bedside table. As if his career's been leading up to this. If so, I'm happy enough to judge him, on those terms.
    Mike H. and ArnimZagarian like this.

Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    But Mike, I wouldn't say I hate Byrne. Perhaps it seems like it, but it's not as if he's moved in next door and stolen my parking space, or anything. He isn't hosting all night bongo sessions.

Admittedly, I was banned from his website, but that was for a bet; how long would it take without resorting to bad language, or being too obvious about it? At the time, there was a thread on the subject of whether or not Frank Quitely's cover for All Star Superman, issue one, made Superman 'look gay'. What if he was, I wondered. What if Superman was secretly in love with Brainiac, etc, and just using Lois Lane as a beard? Bingo. The ban-hammer was swift.

Frank Miller and Alan Moore can get away with the occasional outburst; even Dave Sims sort of can, but John Byrne is at this 24/7, in a way that can only be destructive to his critical reputation, long-term. He was great on the X-Men, and Alpha Flight in particular (though he doesn't seem to like that) but now, he appears to prefer to see himself as a sort of on-line voice of truth, with well-thumbed copies of Walden and Atlas Shrugged on his bedside table. As if his career's been leading up to this. If so, I'm happy enough to judge him, on those terms.
    But only if you follow his website. In the real world, john byrne is a non entity, I hear very little about him. I hear more ranting from Moore or Miller, because they usually make the "comic" news with their rants. John Byrne...nothing. I have not heard a word about Byrne on any of the comic media except about his work for IDW.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast