Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree268Likes

Thread: Now It's Rob Liefeld Vs Scott Snyder - "Get Over Yourself You Pretentious Prick"

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mckracken View Post
    head writer of BATMAN? Clearly Morrison. I find Snyder's work pedestrian.
    I'm only reading Morrison's, but from solicits and reviews it's pretty clear that he isn't driving the Bat franchise anymore and being allowed to do his own thing . . . hence the "head writer" would be the person on the main title, no matter your opinion on their talent . . .

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NakedOni View Post
    Cable was created by Liefeld AND Louise Simonson, and Deadpool was created by Liefeld AND Fabian Nicieza.
    you've been reading the wrong history books. The story being Rob's creation of cable is here Comic Book Legends Revealed #201 | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources

Consultant of Cool

"Scott: Nice! Your Twitter feeds the best thing you’ve written all year :-)
    Rob: Of course, because it's not edited"

Points to Rob on that exchange. Aside from a currently good Supergirl title (which could go south the second editorial steps in and suggests major changes to please an angry blogger), Rob's feed is about the best thing to come out of DC all year. Editorial and obedience to bloggers has been sending this company over the edge ever since the atrocious forced changes from Supergirl #20 on in the last series. Hopefully it all blows up and someone can pick up the pieces and remember what the comic books looked like that inspired them and that fans picked up in greater numbers in the 80s and 90s.
    Last edited by adcenam; 08-26-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Very Cool

Here's another thing I don't understand. People are saying this is just proof that DC editorial is having major issues and that DC comics essentially sucks/not allowing people to do their own thing, etc. I don't get that. Gail Simone did leave Firestorm, but she only stated it was because of editorial differences, not because there was too much pressure or they were constantly asking her to change things. Perez's statements made it seem, to me, that Action Comics was acting as lead title for Superman and the editors didn't really KNOW what was going on in AC. That's why they had to make so many changes in his comic. Also, both of those were early relaunch titles and they left within the first 6 months. Liefeld's had a title already axed then took on 3 more titles. So he's already somewhat experienced or should be with the process at DC and he decides to take on a ton of work. So that's fishy.. then add to the fact that Liefeld was on plot and co-scripting on 2 comics, so.. if he was having so many issues with his direction and all these last minute changes were happening that he couldn't deal with (albeit for comics months down the road), why couldn't the co-scripter help out more? I thought that was the idea of giving him a co-scripter to help out with the issues. We don't know how much the "plotter" in this case actually does.

I just don't feel over all Liefeld's statements are a reason to condemn DC. I mean just a few days ago he was praising them and their work, then he goes out and completely attacks DC out of the blue and states he's quitting pretty much effective immediately. Since 0 is his last issue, wouldn't that mean that 0 is the last one he actually finished? So maybe he was a tad behind? IDK, I just don't trust Liefeld. This is not his first hate fest against a company and he's basically seemed to HATE every comic experience he's ever had, which makes you wonder why the hell he's in the business to begin with. I'm not willing to use this as an indictment on DC as a whole especially since he's the ONLY later jump on creator to mention anything, he has a history of acting this way (including blaming others for a title not working/experience being bad), and he's attacking everyone including Marvel editors and his artist that have NOTHING to do with his problems with DC. He also had a very specific issue with ONE editor apparently that many others have vouched for.

If other writers/artists are having a terrible experience at DC, that sucks. But I think DC is still figuring things out with the new 52. It's a work in progress, but they're trying. I don't think THIS should be held against them. Yes, what happened to Perez, Simone and others sucks especially since I LOVED Perez's run on Superman (though now looking back at it, I noticed the reason I loved it slowly waned later in the series probably b/c Perez was writing less and less of the story). I am willing to believe since so many are staying on or jumping on board with new titles, that DC has fixed a lot of the issues with the EARLY launch and Liefeld's experience (if it's all true, which we just automatically assume based on other statements from other creators in different circumstances, but it could all be BS) is not the norm.
    Last edited by JanArrah; 08-26-2012 at 08:54 AM.
    Allen T likes this.

Consultant of Cool

Didn't think Liefeld could go 24 hours without drawing further attention to himself. This has turned from a legit discussion about DC (and Marvel) turning from creator-driven companies to editor-driven companies, and the impact it has on freelancers, into a seventh-grade insult fest. That's sad, because the issues are important.

The funny part is the comic book properties are valuable, and the movies are being made, on from the past stories when creators created new stuff. The X-Men movie franchise is still going back to Claremont's run. All these editor-driven events are not doing anything to advance the value of the properties the comic book companies and their parent big-media corporations own. Even DC's "new 52" has turned into crossovers and events.

Mr. Nolan

Deadpool is indeed the pinnacle of Liefeld's 'creativity'. They ripped off Deathstroke (right down to his name, Slade Wilson) and gave him Spider-Man's sense of humor. The only thing Liefeld EVER created was the myth that he's talented and his only true accomplishment was fooling enough people into believing that longevity counts more than talent.
    Blade X and NakedOni like this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Wait til everybody fucking hates this kid for Death of the Family and what he tries to pull there. "Head Writer" is one symptom of a bloated ego, the other one is to think you're equipped enough to write an examination of the Joker. Alan Moore didn't even have the balls to claim The Killing Joke was that.
    Still using that faulty psychic hat, I see. What happens if it turns out people love his Death of the Family story?

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    I didn't say that isn't the truth in a way. But looking at the sales of Batman you can't say that the creators don't make a noticeable difference.
    Of course you can't, but that won't stop certain people from claiming so just so they can deny people credit they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Isn't the term Flagship Title Writer really? Head Writer would make more sense if they were a team of writers on one publication all contributing to an issue or arc and Scott was in charge of them. But here you have like 12 titles that touch once and again.

Flagship title writer.
    You're really hung up on that little detail, aren't you? I'm sorry DC didn't consult you on what they call these things. Seems to really bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by DElliott View Post
    I like Batman for the Greg Capullo art, which seems to the be the thing everyone loves about the book. Scott Snyder is overrated. They both seem like douchebags, but Snyder is in no place to bash Liefeld, because he will never sell as many comics in his career that Liefeld has, and most likely, he will never create a character with the staying power of a Cable or Deadpool.
    Um, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seifert View Post
    Snyder has been in the business for... let's see, just under 3 years..? And already has an Eisner, a Harvey, an Eagle, and is a key part of the New 52's success. He's got a pretty impressive resume for someone whose first published comics work was in 2009.

I would not bet against him having a long term impact on the business.
    Good answer, Mark. That post was just ... weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nolan View Post
    Oh For Fucks sake. Now who's being the pretentious prick. Accusing someone of using a pseudonym just shows you don't have a counter arguement.
    Seriously? You're actually going to try to claim that one post with no follow-up didn't look like a sock puppet post? Please. Maybe declaring that someone's post demonstrates they have no argument is really what demonstrates you have no argument.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    Seriously? You're actually going to try to claim that one post with no follow-up didn't look like a sock puppet post? Please. Maybe declaring that someone's post demonstrates they have no argument is really what demonstrates you have no argument.
    You haven't read my other posts in this thread then?

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Nolan View Post
    You haven't read my other posts in this thread then?
    I have actually, which is why I answered this one.
    WinterCeltic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QCCBob View Post
    Mr. Nolan

Deadpool is indeed the pinnacle of Liefeld's 'creativity'. They ripped off Deathstroke (right down to his name, Slade Wilson) and gave him Spider-Man's sense of humor. The only thing Liefeld EVER created was the myth that he's talented and his only true accomplishment was fooling enough people into believing that longevity counts more than talent.
    Deadpool isn't just a ripoff of Spidey and Deathstroke. Like I said a wgile ago on anoyjer thread Spidey+Deathstroke+the Creeper+Wolverine+Snake Eyes=Deadpool.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast