Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Keeping Your ComiXology Comics (UPDATE)

Bleeding Cool

A key reason why I dont buy digtial comics . With printed
    Comics the only way you can lose your comics if your house burns down . With digitally if your computer or iPad or iPhone breaks your screwed.
    _OM_ likes this.

VP in Charge of Cool

If one person can figure it out I'm sure it'll be done by someone else soon enough.

Currently, I only buy digital copies of books I have hard copies for.

My DC books are on the DC app. My Vertigo books are on the Vertigo app. The rest are on the ComiXology app.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Many would prefer to read digital comics in a Comic Reader, outside of ComiXology's proprietary system, as well as doing it all offline.
    You need an internet connection to buy the books, but not to read them once they're downloaded.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    Setting aside for a moment the fact that you don't have a solid grasp on how probability works
    Actually, I do. The probability is high that ComiXology will cease to exist long before the point where most current users will wish to maintain their collections. And even if it doesn't cease to exist at that point - there's also a strong probability that some other solution will render ComiXology obsolete - a direct competitor, or the publishers themselves will sever their relationships with ComiXology. All of which underscore the need for a quick&easy archiving utility. Let alone the fact that technology itself will evolve - and if there's anything technology companies are awful at, it's maintaining legacy functionality. Apple's turning its backs on its pre-Intel machines. Anyone who works with professional software that only works with a specific older operating system can tell you horror stories of how badly companies maintain legacy situations. I was replying to a comment that basically implied ComiXology is a permanent solution. It isn't.

What this news story tells me is that the format can be hacked. If Comixology goes away, we can figure out a way to convert the files. This is a non issue.
    That the format can be hacked isn't really news broken by this story - it already was hackable, just through far less efficient means. I'm glad to hear this is a step in the right direction...

But for those of us who don't want to have to hack or use illegal means, or have to go through much hassle to archive highly priced purchased digital comics, it's still an issue.

Right now, the hassles of archiving digital and experiencing a slightly smaller picture size (contrasting actual physical size of iPad 3 vs. actual printed comic), are significant factors against going 100% digital. The size issue is a temporary one as various tablet sizes will evolve. The anti-archiving issue, however, seems to be embedded in the strategy for these digital comics distributors. If eventually I'm going to have to convert all of these files to CBZ through some 3rd-party app (with all of the inconsistent platform support that comes with small 3rd-party apps) then just going with pirated versions in the first place might be the most efficient option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    A key reason why I dont buy digtial comics . With printed
    Comics the only way you can lose your comics if your house burns down . With digitally if your computer or iPad or iPhone breaks your screwed.
    All the purchases on the apps go through iTunes. If you buy a new iPad, you can add all your purchases to it without having to sync the old iPad.
    You can never have enough hats, gloves and shoes.
    Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke.
    ....some say that it loops forever, this road, that I lose you on every time....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon ZK Olmstead View Post
    "There's a legend 'round here. A patient buried, but not dead. A curse on South Philly. A death curse. HBR's curse."
    @HellBlazeRaiser

Cool

What this news story tells me is that the format can be hacked. If Comixology goes away, we can figure out a way to convert the files. This is a non issue.

Not sure I'd agree about it being a non-issue. Not having access to the app (and the original reddit thread seems to be gone) I'm unsure how it worked, but I *think* it might have downloaded copies of the comics you'd bought from comixology to your local computer, bypassing DRM (or, at least, apple's DRM) altogether.

You're correct though, in that it's likely someone will figure out how to remove DRM, but, let's say, like me, you don't keep every single comic on your iPad - if you have a low capacity ipad (16GB) and tend to delete comics from the device after you read them - knowing (or, at least, expecting) that those comics will be always available to download from comixology's servers and trying to keep plenty of space on the device for other things.

In that scenario, no amount of DRM hacking after the fact will save any comics that you've deleted off your machine.

Personally, I hope comixology will stay in business for a good long time, but let's pretend that you've bought loads of comics off an app called 'SUPERCOMICS' and the company that makes THAT suddenly stops answering phone calls, here's why that could have happened:

1) Marvel (or DC) buy the company for their exclusive use, and remove any and all competitors product from it. (Which is sort of how we ended up with diamond)
    2) Apple buy the company, decide to make it an apple exclusive device and suddenly any files you have on the kindle fire are no longer available to read.
    3) Apple decide to write their own comic app, offering publishers a pure cut of 70% of monies, if they move exclusively to the apple comic reader, thereby cutting 'Supercomics' out of the equation (but maybe they allow supercomics to distribute on other devices, as long as they aren't available to supercomics readers on the ipad/iphone)
    4) A competitor writes a better comic reader, makes it available, publishers flock to it. Maybe the extant books are still available to read, but maybe YOU'LD like to read them on the competitors comic reader. (IDW moved from iVerse over to Comixology - though it was a painless transition)
    5) Comic publishers catch wise to the fact that they audience are buying the publishers book and aren't loyal to the reader, write their own comic reader, and yank their books off the super comics reader. (Dark Horse)
    6) A Big and important print distributor refuses to distribute material unless publisher X removes content from the supercomics reader (and either moves it to their own digital reader or just pulls it)
    7) Supercomics goes bust (because companies can do that)

And that's only a short list of things I can think of, watch out for black swans.

-pj
    _OM_ and Mike Gloady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    I think it's inconceivable that this won't be used as a pirating tool by some without even the most basic skills, by taking CBZ files, uploading them to torrent sites or making them available for download. Not that it was overly hard before, but this makes it easy for people who don't even know the basics of file management.
    Speaking as a dude who spends not only way more money at Comixology but also time at /co/ than I ever thought I would, I have to say the idea someone would use this tool to pirate comics isn't impossible but it is laughable. Comics usually show up on /co/ hours before they're available from Comixology. I sit on my hands every Wednesday waiting for Comixology.

Plus, Firebug (google it) already does this. Not in an automated way, but it'll show you all the pages and urls of the pages downloaded by the reader app. This isn't rocket surgery.

Comixology should release an app for this, but I understand they probably can't because they sold publishers on digital comics under the auspices that people wouldn't be able to download comics. It's an adorably quaint notion, but let's not pretend it's anything but that.
    Last edited by Static-Pulse; 05-28-2012 at 04:38 PM.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MicroZone View Post
    Android is a bit tougher. It's best CBR/CBZ reader is ComicRack, which runs $8 now, which is rather high for a mobile app that doesn't work as well as the free one for the iPad. If you have the desktop version of ComicRack, you can sync tablet & PC over your home wifi network. A nice feature unless you have a low-powered PC or laptop. CR for the PC is rather slow if you do.
    I haven't tried ComicRack, but Perfect Viewer does everything I could want it to do. Not only can you customise the settings well enough to get it to do everything how you want it done, it's free.

VP in Charge of Cool FunkyGreenJerusalem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    This is one of the main reasons why digital are not the future and savior of the industry.
    You have lost me there.
    Are they not the saviour because you have to play around to get a (cheeky) permanent issue, or because it's easier than scanning a comic to copy and distribute?
    Because neither of those are really deal breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Acrid_Gunsmoke View Post
    The chances of ComiXology going away is pretty slim. Those who claim "digital is not the future" are only fooling themselves. That's like saying the Internet is going to go away.
    Others have already pointed out that Comixology's eternal success isn't as assured as the internets.

I read comics in all available formats. I honestly don't feel ripped off by anything right now.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by citizenmilton View Post
    This is a serious issue that ComiXology needs to address. A lifetime backup is essential for users to use their service as a replacement for printed comics.
    Eh, as long as they leave a few work arounds in place, it's all good!
    I think it's a shame* they felt the need to get the article taken down.

*(Let alone that it's shameful to comply with a removal request like that)

I have a Comixology app on my iPad and plenty of Comixology files downloaded to my iPad. The problem is not that I don't own the files. The problem is that at some point in the future I might no longer have a device that plays them. Thats the same problem faced with every file type.
    As the comics weren't ever tied down to a single device, file access was the biggest concern for me.

Bugger waiting till they go away - if Comixology disappeared right now, I don't have all the comics I've bought downloaded - maybe converting as we go, keeping them on a drive, is the smart play.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast