Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Like Tree911Likes

Thread: How Liberalism May Be Hurting Comic Book Sales by Darin Wagner

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by khuxford View Post
    What Christ DIDN'T DO is tell people where they could go try to cure or feed themselves. He was very much the kind who would heal the deserving and undeserving alike, rather than risk letting one deserving person go unaided.
    Not my religion, but what I notice people on the left missing in this particular argument is that there is a difference between "I will help people in need" and "I will empower the government to force you to help people in need."

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    Not my religion, but what I notice people on the left missing in this particular argument is that there is a difference between "I will help people in need" and "I will empower the government to force you to help people in need."
    Yes, but he also didn't tell his followers to make others adhere to the word by force. Yet the devout Christian Right wants to force morals on the entire populace, but balks at the more affluent of the populace being "forced" to help others by giving an "offering" to the same instrument they expect to force people to not butt fuck each other or practice abortions.

It's inconsistent no matter how you cut it.

Edit: They're fine with the government potentially forcing them to adhere to the sexual morals they believe the Bible admonishes them to practice, but not to the societal morals the Bible directs them to practice. Taking care of the poor? That's between me and my church. You taking care not to have anything up your ass or sex out of wedlock/pregnancy you don't intend to keep? That's for me and my government to stop you from doing.
    Last edited by khuxford; 01-07-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Captain Cool

Answer the question or ignore the post. Pick one. I won't play your usual game. The complete and total absence of due process doesn't bother you? What someone might or might not do with that absence is not part of the question.
    No, it does not bother me that a self-professed high-ranking member of al-Qaeda who declared war against his own country did not get due process.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by khuxford View Post
    Yes, but he also didn't tell his followers to make others adhere to the word by force. Yet the devout Christian Right wants to force morals on the entire populace, but balks at the more affluent of the populace being "forced" to help others by giving an "offering" to the same instrument they expect to force people to not butt fuck each other or practice abortions.

It's inconsistent no matter how you cut it.

Edit: They're fine with the government potentially forcing them to adhere to the sexual morals they believe the Bible admonishes them to practice, but not to the societal morals the Bible directs them to practice. Taking care of the poor? That's between me and my church. You taking care not to have anything up your ass or sex out of wedlock/pregnancy you don't intend to keep? That's for me and my government to stop you from doing.
    Oh no argument there. I did mention that it wasn't my religion, right? I completely agree that the position is inconsistent. I would argue for consistency in the absence of force, and what I know of their religion says that it would too. Of course, that opens a whole different kettle of fish, doesn't it?

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Meyeraustin View Post
    No, it does not bother me that a self-professed high-ranking member of al-Qaeda who declared war against his own country did not get due process.
    So you're not going to answer the question. Duly noted. By all means, return to your softballs, as usual.

Captain Cool

So you're not going to answer the question. Duly noted. By all means, return to your softballs, as usual.
    I answered the question. You asked if it bothered me and i said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Food Eater Lad View Post
    So killing the unborn is something closer to Christ? I say that as an observation rather than a criticism of either side.
    I dunno about Christ, but his dad loved that shit.

I've worked in the military for 11 years. I have friends and family in the State department. This idea that the president can order innocent citizens to be "whacked" is ridiculous. Explain how this works. He contacts the DNI and orders so-and-so blogger to be killed. So the DNI

a. has to have no morals
    b. is willing to risk his career and freedom.

Then every single person that the task is passed down to will have to risk the same.

So you would need a nut-job president and an unbroken string of people down to the person who actually commits the murder all to have no morals but also to be so stupid to risk their careers and freedom, all to what- whack a blogger, a journalist?
    This assumes that every person the task is passed down to will have the same level of information about the "why" as the President/DNI.

And you know better than that.

It's far more likely that someone piloting the drone/soldiers making the kill/grab will be told "this person is a terrorist plotting to kill people/etc."

And you know that. So stop.

No we make the nation a place were it is buisness friendly. That way everyone, or at least, the greatest number of people can find work. That is not the current climate. Let me ask you, have you ever tried to start a real buisness? It's nearly impossible with all the red tape.
    Have you ever started a business?

Are there hurdles? Of course. But it's not "nearly impossible." The number of new businesses that start (and fail, when looking at say the food industry) proves that false.
    "If you find 'I think you're wrong' offensive, there's not much I can tell you. Except that you are, in fact, wrong."
    Reminder: There are roughly 313,000,000 people in the United States. There are roughly 2,000 Direct Market Comic Shops in the United States. That means there is 1 comic shop for every 156,500 people in America.
    Free Entertainment: The Canny Cthulhu Holmes l 24
    Paid Entertainment: Though My Chains Be Forged

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B. Pangrazio View Post
    I dunno about Christ, but his dad loved that shit.

This assumes that every person the task is passed down to will have the same level of information about the "why" as the President/DNI.

And you know better than that.

It's far more likely that someone piloting the drone/soldiers making the kill/grab will be told "this person is a terrorist plotting to kill people/etc."

And you know that. So stop.

Have you ever started a business?

Are there hurdles? Of course. But it's not "nearly impossible." The number of new businesses that start (and fail, when looking at say the food industry) proves that false.
    No, I do not "know" that. Killing al-Awlaki involved several different agencies, possibly hundreds of people. Every single one knew he was an American.

And if any president was caught abusing this power, it wouldn't just take him down, it would take down his entire administration and sully his party for a generation. Clinton lied about a BJ and was almost impeached. Can you imagine if he would have ordered Starr to be whacked. The half-life of radioactivity of the Democratic party would be 25 years.

So let's play your scenario through (just as I do with truthers to show how stupid they are). President orders a hit on some political rival, innocent person or whatever. By the time the word gets down to Seal Team 6, some AF drone pilot or the CIA it looks like its a legit hit. Guy dies, hits the news and revealed that he was innocent. Whoever did the hit would be legally immune if he testified. I've met and worked with high-level Tier 1, Spec Ops guys. Not only are they tougher and smarter than the average soldier, they are more mature and of higher morals. If some SF guys found out they were ordered to do a hit under BS circumstances they would be livid and would make sure that knowledge was put out in the public and the people who abused the process were held accountable.

You know who reported the abuses at Abu-Ghraib? A low-level enlisted man who saw the pics and knew they were wrong. This Jason Bourne/Treadstone fantasy about how the government "really" works belongs on infowars or Prison Planet with all the other goons.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Even Abraham Lincoln suspended the rights of the Constitution during the Civil War.
    And imprisoned many innocents as a result and came under heavy fire for that decision that is still to this discredited by consitutionalists and historians as unconstitutional and unlawful.

"Lincoln also did it" is not an excuse to step all over the constitution. Lincoln may have done a great job during the Civil War, but he didn't do a PERFECT job.

Bleeding Cool

I answered the question. You asked if it bothered me and i said no.
    I already told you I'm not going to play this game. You've demonstrated adequate reading comprehension, so you know perfectly well that you did not answer what I asked. If you want to play that game, I will simply allow you to demonstrate your dishonesty and go on about my business. It's no difference to me either way.

Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast