Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Watchmen 2 ? Nite Owl, The Comedian And More

Administrator

Default Watchmen 2 ? Nite Owl, The Comedian And More

Yesterday I ran what I believe is the first definitive creator casting for one of a number of Watchmen prequel mini-series, from a primary source. "Watchmen 2" rapidly became the highest Twitter trending topic in the world. I'm not sure if that's ever happened for a comic before.

But it also unearthed a couple of other potential castings from... let's call them secondary sources. An amber light if you will.

Ones that have seem to have Darwyn Cooke talking about writing a Comedian series.

Others that have Darwyn Cooke arriving at the Canadian Fan Expo unannounced, to take Joe Kubert out for lunch. And the discussion? Reportedly, a Nite Owl series mini-series by Andy Kubert with his father, Joe Kubert, participating. Something that involved the original Nite Owl and his successor. Drawn by a father/son team.

I can't judge as to the veracity of these. But doesn't the idea of a Kubert/Kubert Nite Owl/Nite Owl II series just feel so right in your gut?

The other word I've had about Dave Gibbons' involvement from the same sources as above, is that it's not exactly an active one, more passive acquiescence - "for this wave". Could four prequel mini-series just be the start?

I've also been told that NYCC was the intended venue to announce this project, but I should now look to January...

Call me a sucker or disloyal, but I'd probably read a Darwyn Cooke Comedian comic out of curiosity (since Butcher Baker is shaping up to be something else now). Even if DC is pissing in Alan Moore's beard. He's got enough "high-brow" work like Jerusalem and the Moon Bumper Serpent book to keep his chin above the flood.

I have no problems buying a new Comedian book by Cooke. I'm also curious about the Kubert/Kubert Nite Owl book, but that will depend somewhat on which Kubert is writing it.
    Writer of the webcomic Arc. Editor of Metahuman Press and Pulp Empire.
    Editor, Super Powered Fiction. Want to write about comics? Find out how here! / Twitter / Facebook

So, how long until we're hit with the "Gendercrunching the Watchmen Franchise" article?

Seattle (as immortalized by Public Image Limited)

"Doesn't it just feel right to you?"

No, not really. And I love me some Joe Kubert.

Wrote the Book on Cool

"But doesn't the idea of a Kubert/Kubert Nite Owl/Nite Owl II series just feel so right in your gut?"

Absolutely not. No sequels, period. No prequels, period.

Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar

Now when this does happen, will it be at Vertigo or DC?

If it's pre-gritty adventures during the Golden Age of the Minute Men, I can see DC. If they were just as gritty and rapey, then I can see Vertigo. However, since this would obviously be gigantic press for DC, I can see them wanting to put their logo on it, as big as possible in the upper lefthand corner.

Exceedingly Cool

Have been calling this for months. It's the last stunt-publishing trick up DiDio & Co's sleeve - all they've got since they haven't got a new idea between them and storytelling is not a priority at DC.

I'm expecting the whole "new regime" to have lost their luster and be fired sometime between June and next February. At that point WB will make hard decisions about DC Comics, but it'll depend on who's at the top of THAT pyramid when this all goes down.

Exceedingly Cool

Just re-read the old article and saw the project is code-named "Panic Room". Quite suitable as it's the last place you flee to when you're under attack.

Goodbye New 52, Goodbye!

Well, this is going to make a ton of money, and considering DC seems to be well on their way up, I'd have to say your predictions are insane.

Also, "storytelling not a priority?" Where did you get that idea?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast