Looks like viewers are going to have another season to learn everything they didn’t know about Batman’s trusted aide and the Wayne Family protector. EPIX has given a green light for a second season of Pennyworth, with filming on the 10 episodes set at the UK’s Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden in the UK beginning January 2020.
“Pennyworth has been a big hit for us, embraced by critics and fans alike. It was the highest-performing original series ever to premiere on Epix, more than doubling the viewership of the shows that came before it. Bruno Heller, Danny Cannon and WBTV have delivered a brilliant, must-watch series. We can’t wait to work with this phenomenal cast and creative team on another exciting season.”
– Michael Wright, President, EPIX
From Warner Horizon Scripted Television, DC origin story Pennyworth is a ten-episode, one-hour drama series based on DC characters created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger. It follows Bruce Wayne’s legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon), a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge), Bruce’s billionaire father, in 1960’s London.
Pennyworth stars Jack Bannon, Paloma Faith, Ben Aldridge, Hainsley Lloyd Bennett, Ryan Fletcher, Jason Flemyng and Polly Walker.
Bruno Heller (Gotham, The Mentalist, Rome) serves as executive producer/writer and Danny Cannon serves as executive producer/director (Gotham, CSI series).
Based on DC Comics characters created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger, here’s a rundown on those there to help – and hinder – “The Man Who Would Be Alfred” in EPIX’s Pennyworth:
● Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon) is a former British SAS soldier in his 20’s, who forms a security company and goes to work with young billionaire, Thomas Wayne in 1960s London. Alfred doesn’t know how to reconcile the kind-hearted boy he used to be with the cold, calculated killer he was forced to become. He’s a man on the make, who doesn’t know what to make of himself yet.
● Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge) is a young, fresh-faced billionaire hailing from the East Coast of the United States. Confident and extremely disciplined, this young aristocrat meets an unlikely business partner in Alfred.
● Lord Harwood (Jason Flemyng) is cultured, urbane, brilliant and sure of himself – with a sadistic, cruel nature and a veneer of charm.
● Peggy Sykes (Polly Walker) is the sister of Lord Harwood’s partner-in-crime Bet Sykes (UK pop star Paloma Faith) and one of Lancashire’s busiest and most successful dominatrixes. The sensible matriarch in a family of maniacs, Peggy is fiercely loyal, endlessly resourceful, and lives by her own strange but rigorous moral code.
● Bet Sykes (Faith) is Lord Harwood’s partner-in-crime, a spirited, sadistic and sharp-tongued villain.
● Dave Boy (Ryan Fletcher) and Bazza (Hainsley Lloyd Bennett) are lifelong friends of Alfred’s from their army days serving in the same corps. Dave Boy, a haggard Highland Scotsman with a dangerous drinking problem since leaving the army, is a close ally of Alfred and Bazza and also the most unpredictable of the trio. Posh Bajan playboy Bazza is highly proficient at logistics and a valued member of the team.
● Martha Kane (Emma Paetz) is the woman we will know later as Martha Wayne.