Ever since Paradox Interactive took over the rights to Prison Architect, we’ve been curious as to what they had planned for the game. During PDXCON, we finally got to see some fruits of their labor as they introduced us to Psych Ward: Wardens Edition. This is an expansion onto the game that will allow you to help the mentally ill and rehabilitate them, even if they’re serving a life sentence. The expansion will drop into the game on November 21st. Meanwhile, we got a second trailer, which you can see below, highlighting a new expansion on the way for 2020 that involves having an island prison. Check it out along with the details released for Psych Ward below.
“Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition is built to enhance Prison Architect’s existing gameplay mechanics to give players new and interesting ways to experience the game,” Steacy McIlwham, Product Manager for Prison Architect at Paradox Interactive, said. “Each feature in this expansion brings its own set of scenarios and opportunities that require players to get creative with their prison management. Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition is just the start of our plans for Prison Architect, we have much more in the works that you’ll hear about soon.”
Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition will be the first PC expansion to be released since Paradox purchased the Prison Architect IP and partnered with developer Double Eleven earlier this year.
Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition Key Features
- Plead Insanity: Criminally insane inmates are unpredictable, require special care, and have their own Reputation traits for you to consider when building your prison. Let them co-exist with the general population or lock them away in a padded cell, how you manage their needs is up to you!
- Shrinks: Any prison holding the criminally insane needs a team of Psychiatrists and trained Orderlies to keep everything under control. These valuable prison staff can sedate rowdy prisoners or pull out the straitjackets when things get too rough.
- Doctor’s Note: Provide counseling to the criminally insane with the new Psychiatrist’s Office and new consultation Programs. Improve their sessions by upgrading the office with leather sofas, medicine cabinets, Rorschach tests, and more.
- Good Behavior: Your inmates now have a wide range of behaviors players will need to manage. They start out harmless, but if left untreated, they can turn violent or attempt to escape.
- It’s Gone Viral: Treat your regular inmates with care. Subjecting your inmates to excessive suppression or punishment can cause them to turn criminally insane.
- Extra Padding: Psych Ward: Warden’s Edition adds padded cells and padded floors along with a bundle of other new objects, floors, and wall types to customize your prison. Now you can easily build a dedicated wing for the criminally insane.
- Tools of the Trade: Additional contraband, including Adrenaline Shots, Fountain Pens (Shanks), and Gold Pocket Watches, can be stolen by your prisoners, or by you in Escape Mode.